Primos Blood Light = Success

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Primos Blood Light = Success

Post by nchunterkw »

A few weeks ago we had a thread on here about blood lights. Saturday night I got to use mine extensively to track a deer my buddy shot. He was in a saddle in a tree probably 15 feet or so above the ground. It was thick where he was, and even though he saw about a dozen deer he never got a good shot. Then at about 6:15 or so, a small doe came out and walked to within 10 yards of him. He made a good shot, high up on the near side with the arrow exiting low in the "arm pit" on the off side. I was sitting maybe 150 yards away and saw nothing....except for the 1 deer that snuck in on me directly behind me, down wind and between me and the road. Go figure. I moved to check the time and it bounded away. No snort.

AT 6:40 I packed up and headed towards my buddy and the truck. He was just starting his process of getting out of the tree (which takes about 15 - 20 min) and shined his light on the arrow and said "see how that looks". Complete pass through, with good blood on the arrow. Broadhead was a 125gr Magnus 4 blade. Cool, another dead deer and this should be an easy track.

He told me where the deer ran so I started looking....fully figuring on finding the deer before he was out of the tree. Hmm....no blood. odd, I just kept walking back and forth where she went moving further and further away from the arrow, circling back sometimes and starting over, until finally, about 15 - 20 yards from the arrow I found some blood. Just using my headlamp...which is bright white LED..i stared following the blood. small 1/4" sized drops every few feet or so. I though OK, not great, but whatever, still able to follow. And the arrow looked great. Fletching were covered in bright red blood. Well I went along sloooowly....for another 40 yards or so until I came to 3 downed logs. That's where I could not find any more blood. I figured maybe she turned, looked and looked and zip. BY now he was with me so we are both looking....but he is a little bit red/green colorblind so tracking can be hard for him sometimes. We look for 15 min and I say "let me go back and get my stuff", and take it out to the rad, and then I'll get my blood light. So I do that and to where the blood stopped.

We turn off our lights and start using the blood tracker. Almost instantly I find the trail again....by trail I mean a single drop maybe 1/8" in diameter. As the deer is going up hill, it stays like this for another 50 yards or so. Sometimes all I can find is a tiny 1/16" drop, but the red blood stands out brilliantly with the blood light. After she crested the hill it was like the faucet turned on and it was easy to follow and find her. All told she went 163yards and although we may have found her with a grid search, the blood light clearly shined in this instance and allowed us to follow a trail we couldn't find with our other lights. Or at least made it a lot easier. And my buddy said it helped him a lot to see blood he couldn't normally see because of the color blindness.

Say what you want but it will always be in my pack.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
gerald strine

Re: Primos Blood Light = Success

Post by gerald strine »

Interesting , thank you for the post.
I here reviews all over the map on these I may have to buy one and see for myself,
Anything that makes tracking at night on a sparse trail easier is a blessing.
Last edited by gerald strine on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

gerald strine wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:15 am
Interesting , thank you for the post.
I here reviews all over the map on these I may have to buy one and see for myself,
Anything that makes tracking at night on a sparse trail is a blessing.
I feel the same way. I even bought some forensic team training stuff that makes blood glow blue. Mixed results with that stuff...but the light does well. Just make sure the battery is strong.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Getting a review from a known reliable source is great!

I have a hunch though, that for a whole lot of people, it would be like if I bought a Stradivarius violin, hoping that would make me a violinist. I have poor eyesight. Probably the device wouldn’t help me much.

I suspect that a lot of the negative reviews come from people like me. They want some device to perform a miracle, and it can’t. For those who have vision that can be helped, it works great.

Then again, maybe some of the naysayers don’t expect to have to bend over to find sign. Maybe they expect blood specks to stand out like highway lane markers.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
grouse

Post by grouse »

This gives me something to put on my Christmas list. Thanks for the info.
axiom
350 SE
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hi5 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:40 am

I have a hunch though, that for a whole lot of people, it would be like if I bought a Stradivarius violin, hoping that would make me a violinist. I have poor eyesight. Probably the device wouldn’t help me much.

I suspect that a lot of the negative reviews come from people like me. They want some device to perform a miracle, and it can’t. For those who have vision that can be helped, it works great.

Then again, maybe some of the naysayers don’t expect to have to bend over to find sign. Maybe they expect blood specks to stand out like highway lane markers.
I expect it's like anything else. Since people vary so much...eyesight quality as you said, how they see colors (like my buddy) some negative reviews probably come out of these situations. And then there are the people that post negative reviews because they work for "the other" company. Don't forget that. And I do think you are spot on with your other point.....some people think a blood trail with 1 or 2 1" drops every 3 fee, that leads to a deer within 60 yards is "horrible" and the broadhead "didn't to well". :roll:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
LRMNUT

Post by LRMNUT »

Which light are you using I would like to get one, shot a doe about a week ago good hit good pass thru a little blood at the spot where I hit her then nothing until where she went down maybe went a hundred yards total I found her because I saw her eye she was dead in seconds still looking for better broad heads was using spitfire 100 gr mechanical not a very impressive hole pick up some Grim Reaper 100 gr four blade hope for better results with them I am shooting a GRZ2 bow only 305 fps don't know if that makes any difference with a little slower speed ?
I shot four deer with this bow love the bow but not getting good wound hole so far for tracking.
GRZ2
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I have the primos blood light and I'd rather use a led light. :thumbdown: for me and my eyes.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Riflemanz wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:48 am
I have the primos blood light and I'd rather use a led light. :thumbdown: for me and my eyes.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Depends on how your eyes see red
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

LRMNUT wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:26 am
Which light are you using I would like to get one, shot a doe about a week ago good hit good pass thru a little blood at the spot where I hit her then nothing until where she went down maybe went a hundred yards total I found her because I saw her eye she was dead in seconds still looking for better broad heads was using spitfire 100 gr mechanical not a very impressive hole pick up some Grim Reaper 100 gr four blade hope for better results with them I am shooting a GRZ2 bow only 305 fps don't know if that makes any difference with a little slower speed ?
I shot four deer with this bow love the bow but not getting good wound hole so far for tracking.
Here is the one I have. NOT the headlamp.

https://www.primos.com/accessories-and-gear/flashlights/bloodhunter-hd/PO-61107.html

Are you hunting from a tree or from the ground? To me blood trails depend a lot on where you hit them and if there is an exit hole. I shot a doe this year that went 50 yards maybe. Magnus stinger 2 blade, from the ground with a hit just above middle body. Pass thru and arrow looked good...maybe 30 drops of blood on the ground. My buddy shot one the same day same head (with bleeders) from a tree and blood was everywhere.

But I did switch back to 125gr RamCats. I have always had really good blood trails with those. Highly recommend. Plus they fly very very well.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

Great feed back Keith! Thank you!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have used mine a few times and feel it works great.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Hi5 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:40 am

:D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dave :eusa-think:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
LRMNUT

Post by LRMNUT »

I am shooting from tree stand always.
Thanks
GRZ2
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

LRMNUT wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:26 pm
I am shooting from tree stand always.
Thanks
Well, then you should have nice low exit wounds...that shoudl help. One thing I have found makes another difference is how sharp my broadheads are. Now I only settle for ridiculously razor sharp. Mine don't "pop hairs off" you arm, they leave it entirely bare. It seems like a small thing but they cut way more stuff inside which means more bleeding.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><