3 Blade Sharpener - Stay Sharp 344

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

3 Blade Sharpener - Stay Sharp 344

Post by nchunterkw »

I bought one of these and sharpened up 3 VPA 300gr 3 blades for my trad bow. I could never get 3 blade single piece heads really sharp. This worked very well. To me a big improvement over a flat stone.

https://staysharpguide.com/products/344

I really like using sandpaper rather than a stone. For my 2 blade heads I use a KME and sandpaper and lapping paper on a piece of glass. Stoopid sharp.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Re: 3 Blade Sharpener - Stay Sharp 344

Post by longbow joe »

When l shot the big 3 blade rothaar snuffers for years they used to sell the angled beveled files that sharpened the edges even further ... they did their job great but honestly a medium stone and then the sandpaper on glass (1000 grit ) was all that was needed for Them to kill very well.
I stated before using nothing more than an accusharp or smith's dummy sharpener on my Simmons sharks it produced this gnarly unrefined edge that decimated every buck l shot correctly .
I'm not one of them "surgical sharp anal weirdos" sharp is sharp enough.
Most of the surgical anal sharp hunters l met over the years actually have a very low number of heads on the wall it you know what l mean.Dont forget the great Fred bear used nothing more than a super high quality mill basterd file for his hunts.My hero Roger rothaar used nothing more than a oiled stone on his snuffers.
I have found a direct relationship between anal sharp people and people who Armor all their truck seats and use gun chaps on their rifles .lololl
The 344 looks very easy to use ,very innovative looks a lot better than the files on the wood l would definitely try it.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Yeah Joe. I killed a few deer with Montecs sharpened on flat stones. To me they were never really sharp...but they did the job although blood trails were not awesome. And I would say that none of my RamCat blades were ever surgical sharp....but they did the job well too. But now we have tools that make it very easy (IMO) to put a crazy sharp edge on stuff. This thing (344) is one of them. I mean you gotta sharpen your heads anyway, and this is easy and gives you a better angle. SO why not? Same with the KME. You clamp it in and easily keep the same angle....and bang...crazy sharp with not much effort. Of course there is more effort when you sharpen something for the first time when you set the bevel etc....but after that it's maybe 5min per head. I did shoot one last year with a VPA 2 blade single bevel that was surgical sharp. I did see a difference in how much blood was on the arrow and on the tree just behind where it stood. Can't say much for the blood trail. It only went about 35 yards. But of course...into the pine thicket.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

When l shot the snuffers and even the Simmons intercepter heads sometimes 3 out of the 6 in the pack were so darn hardened that I had to run a torch down the edge to blue them lightly in order to sharpen them.
they were harder than the file itself lt was Basically a labor of love.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.