Tac 100

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

onmedic

Tac 100

Post by onmedic »

I just put a tac 100 on my bulldog 330. 20 yards dead on takong out x’s. Went to 40 and barely hit bottom of target using the 40 ring. I changed the speed all the way down to about 310fps, went way up the other way, hit damn near same. Is it possible the 330 is way slower and scope is not compatable? Only option for illuminated. Dead zone is terrible dark colour for low light and hate those big triangles
Elite Archery
I want to be like Bill
FROW
Ontario Monster Whitetail Magazine
"Beasleys" Canada In The Rough
wheelsquad

Re: Tac 100

Post by wheelsquad »

Look through the scope while changing the speed ring. If magnification doesn't change while doing so.....scope is defective/broken.

What arrow weight are you shooting?
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
onmedic

Post by onmedic »

It is changing. It looks like after zero at 20 the magnification does not change enough to have 40 line up, to slow maybe? This is designed for faster even though it states 300 and up. Maybe i’ll
Have to start at 30 or 40 using elevation turret, then go back and see how far off 20 is? Monkey with speed to finite from there? Not exactly what i was expecting based on their video. Didnt exactly want to find a compromise, wanted it bang on. I took the scope back to the shop but after talking with excal tech, im thinking a compromise and screwing around with it is all i can do. Tech said that video is really confusing people. Not exactly whats
Advertised.
Elite Archery
I want to be like Bill
FROW
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

onmedic wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:17 pm
It is changing. It looks like after zero at 20 the magnification does not change enough to have 40 line up, to slow maybe? This is designed for faster even though it states 300 and up. Maybe i’ll
Have to start at 30 or 40 using elevation turret, then go back and see how far off 20 is? Monkey with speed to finite from there? Not exactly what i was expecting based on their video. Didnt exactly want to find a compromise, wanted it bang on. I took the scope back to the shop but after talking with excal tech, im thinking a compromise and screwing around with it is all i can do. Tech said that video is really confusing people. Not exactly whats
Advertised.
Understood, I have some pointers for you....but before I do...what total arrow weight are you shooting?

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
onmedic

Post by onmedic »

376grns
Elite Archery
I want to be like Bill
FROW
Boo

Post by Boo »

I wish I knew why those numbers are on the scope because they are irrelevant. Actual arrow speed and arrow weight are all hard variables that drastically change the Point Of Impact (POI) from the predicted markings on the scope. So it is best that you ignore those numbers. Here is what I suggest you do and this assumes you have your vertical reticle plumb which is super important.
Zero your crosshairs at 20 yards.
At 40 yards, put out 2 targets one on top of the other.
Shoot at an aiming point on the top target. The arrow will impact much lower.
While holding the crosshairs on the aiming point, turn the speed ring until the second chevron is on the the arrow. You now have your scope set up. You might need some fine tuning with the speed ring by repetitively shooting at 40 yards using your second chevron or 50 using your 3rd chevron down. You might also have to move your vertical reticle but do not move the horizonal reticle.
If you still have trouble, you have an equipment issue.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I use a Tact 100 on my "327 fps with a 350 gr arrow" micro. But I'm shooting 415 gr total arrow weight. With that setup, I have my Tact 100 speed ring completely bottomed at 300 to be able to match trajectory 20 - 50 yds. Even though my true to life speed is just a little above 300 fps.

Do what Boo says to be able to know if yours can even be turned low enough to match your true trajectory.

The Tact 100 and Overwatch scopes may be the only illuminated reticle options from Excalibur now, but certainly not your only options. There are many aftermarket options out there that are better in many ways, IMO. I have a Vortex Crossfire 2 2-7x33 on my faster bulldog, and a Hawke XB30 Compact 2-8x36 on my slower micro/matrix hybrid. That speed ring turns much lower, while still giving over 2X magnification at a low speed ring setting.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360