Round 2 EXOMAX and Speed Tach Custom Chronometer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

Today I shot my max over 150 times to try different brace heights and see how it would effect the speed. The first thing I did was install a new fast flight flemish string. The one removed will be packaged up for my spare. That way I don't have to worry about stretch when I have to change it out.

It seems to me that at 1 3/8" and above brace height I would lose 3 to 4 fps. At 1 1/8 and lower I would pick up 2 to 3 fps but the Max would get louder and the string would hit the relived area on the prod under the level.

The sweet point on my max for brace height is 1 1/4 to 1 5/16. The results are below.

2213 20" 3- 5"feathers 2 alum inserts 351 grs 344 fps
Laser 2 20" 3- 4" plastic brass & alum inserts 390 grs 335 fps
2219 20" 3-5" feathers 2 alum inserts 466 grs 317 fps

I never did reach that 350 fps but I'm happy with what I got. I know that I'm sure tired after using that rope cocker 150+ times. I'm nearly to old for this. :lol:

Bucktail
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Lot'a shooting Bucktail, results looking good and now ya know. Which bolt set up you going to use :?:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
bj

Post by bj »

"2213 20" 3- 5"feathers 2 alum inserts 351 grs 344 fps"

- you might want to check this weight once again...a 2213 with 4 " vanes weighs in at about 384-385 with aluminum inserts in both ends and a 100 grain point...feathers should reduce that weight by about 22 grains max...i'm thinking you should be at approx. 360-362 grains, still not at the min. bolt weight of 350... just through my experience anyway...
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

BJ,

The 2213's are XX78 Super Slam's that I cut down. The nock end I am using is the one provided for the uni nock. Much less weight than a flat alum nock or flat insert. Works real well so far. 200+ shots with them.

Just checked the weight again on my Lyman L1000 electronic scale and they come out 351 to 352 grs. with 100 gr points.

Bucktail
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

BJ,

Also just went back and weighed a couple of my 2213's with 4" plastic vanes and they weight in at 268/269 grs. Again with the XX78 Super Slam uni nock insert.

Bucktail
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Bucktail, glad your happy with the bow. 150 times in one day would do my back in for sure. Personally, I think that if 350 fps is what is advertized then that is what you should get with the min. arrow weight. But I've been known to be picky.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

"I think that if 350 fps is what is advertized then that is what you should get with the min. arrow weight. But I've been known to be picky."

"344 to "350"??

There is a man on here that can tell the difference in POI with only a 6 fps difference. Neglible..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
dw

Post by dw »

actually the advertised speed on the excalibur web page is 355fps. i know that i was shooting 350 grain arrows out of mine and it was shooting faster then 350fps because i had my speed ring turned all the way up to 350 and it still shot high at 30, 40 and 50 yards.
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Woody, agreed I wouldn't be able to tell the difference but thats not the point. When they advertise "capable of arrow speeds exceeding 355 FPS" then thats what the bow should do.
dw

Post by dw »

i brought this same subject up about 3 years ago and a couple of forums ago. i think it was the 185lb exomag i think. it was advertised at 330 fps but would only do 320. bill t him self came on and said it was true. and not long after that they came out with the 200lb exomag, and that did shoot the advertised speeds. and ever since then all his crossbows have shot the advertised speeds.
'dw"
"you gotta love it"
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Shakky wrote:I think that if 350 fps is what is advertized then that is what you should get with the min. arrow weight. But I've been known to be picky
Depending on atmospheric pressure and temperature, which affects string stretch, the speed can vary. One thing that doesn't vary is Bill T. telling it like it is. Bill's advertised speeds are using mininum weight bolts that can be realistically used, unlike Horton which recommends, for warranty purposes, minimun weights of 415gr. but uses 385gr bolts for it's speed tests.
HORTON MFG.:

*PLEASE NOTE: Arrows of less than 415 grains should NOT be shot from any compound crossbow. Using arrows weighing less will void the warranty of the bow, could damage the bow and could result in personal injury. The results shown below reflect using a 385 grain arrow which was used for test purposes only.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I'm not here to slam Bill T. or his product I'm a proud owner like everyone else. My point is this, Bucktail used an arrow of between 351 and 352 gr and the best speed he could get was 344 fps. The advertised speed is in excess of 355 fps. Maybe 9 fps is nothing and maybe it was the string stretching I don't know but if the bow doesn't produce the speeds advertised then it would be a big deal to me.[/b]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Not all chroneys are the same either...could be do to conditions his meter was showing a slower speed. He could retest and lose or gain on any given day. Think about it fellows most do not have a controlled testing space. plus or minus a few fps is mute under most outside conditions.

As for my Excaliburs so far, they have more then meet their advertised speed. "Only the best"
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Has anyone chromed and noticed the difference of +/- 5 fps when it comes down to Trajectory curve. I haven't test this thoery at all myself but it makes me wonder if its really worth worrying about.

I personally am not a velocity guy, I just do whatever it takes to "tack-drive" at 50 yds. I'm not quiet "tack-driving" yet, but I have noticed that velocity can make and brake the flight on the bolt. I have been finding medium to heavier bolts sure help reduce noise........
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ya sure got that right "medium to heavier bolts sure help reduce noise.."

:D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!