Another Dry-fire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DOXNUT

Another Dry-fire

Post by DOXNUT »

Witnessed another dry-fire at our local archery club. Buddy obviously didn't insert a bolt...............BANG! The string was found on the ground, so I helped him restring. The first shoot after the restring was 40yd bullseye followed by another at 30yds.

Another reason I choose Excalibur! Simply dependable....
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

With Excalibur the more you dry fire it, the better.....That's one way to stretch your string in a hurry. :roll: :shock:

In all seriousness, depending on the model, it can be deterimental, but fortunately not as much as if it had cams or pulleys. Tell the fellow to keep an eye on the string, and it wouldn't hurt to check the limbs, especially if it's a model with the new riser.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bstout wrote:It's going to happen sooner or later no matter what. I'll bet 90% of the guys on here have done it at least once. I have. You are now a card carrying member. Excalibur = Tougher than Nails!!

Bob
Not a member, don't want a be either :!: I am however forgetfull at times but I can say not so when it comes to a wepon of any type. I am not picking on no one but I can not understand how one can dry fire your crossbow :?

1- I do not cock my xbow intill ready to shoot
2 - when cocked it has a bolt loaded
3 - It's on safty untill ready to sight target (xbow up and target in sight)
4 - safty is pushed/pulled off
5 - FIRE IN THE HOLE :!: :wink:

Now I reckon it will be my turn, but I am knocking on WOOD :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

It sure can happen, I've seen it even happen to vertical shooters. we're all known to make mistakes, sooner or later.

As for the string, no serving was damaged or any strands. it was a 17 strand 450+ string, so I would imagine it would easily take the punishment.

I would imagine that the bow will come to my place for some visual inspection. Does anyone know what specific things or place I should look for damage............
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Around the limb bolts and at the end of the limb where the magtips and limb joins....and yep ya be right when ya say "It sure can happen, I've seen it even happen to vertical shooters. we're all known to make mistakes, sooner or later."
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Well we did some visual inspection last night, no damage to limbs or string. BUT the Dissipator bars were definitly bent forward more then usual, the rubber pads just barly resting on the limbs now.

Thanks for all the feedback Everyone!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Just take the DP bars off and straghten with a Hammer carefully.. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

BSTOUT....about one year ago I seen a fellow at our archery club dry-fire a EXOMAG. (I'm not sure how old the model was but it had mag-tip limbs) He dry-fired and blew a magtip right off the right limb, this was the first and last time I have ever seen this happen.

I totally agree, that distraction of routine is what leads to dry-firing. I have dry-fired a bow myself, and it sure gets your heart racing.

GARYL.....Thanks for the idea, but I'm going to take them to work and use a hydraulic press.
PRB

Post by PRB »

One time only, and I hope the last. It was about a week or so ago when I was testing/shooting with different sights, and had my mind too much on the sights, instead of the bolt being loaded. The only damage done was my pride after saying that I would never dry fire my precious Vixen :wink: Dang me, dang me, they oughta take a rope....
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I have never had the pleasure of a dry fire yet..

Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
STEELWORKER

Re: Another Dry-fire

Post by STEELWORKER »

DOXNUT wrote:Witnessed another dry-fire at our local archery club. Buddy obviously didn't insert a bolt...............BANG! The string was found on the ground, so I helped him restring. The first shoot after the restring was 40yd bullseye followed by another at 30yds.

Another reason I choose Excalibur! Simply dependable....
not that it matters, but what EXCAL model was it? i have an 04 EXOMAG and im hoping i never dry-fire mine. but its nice to here that the bows can take it though!----------STEEL
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

STEEL It was a 2004 Exocet 175lb.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i dry fired a max and it wasn't pretty i do NOT recomend it at all.
thanks philip
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

pdislow wrote:i dry fired a max and it wasn't pretty i do NOT recomend it at all.
That requires a new PAINT job :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!