Deer Bacon/Deer Spam

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Deer Bacon/Deer Spam

Post by DuckHunt »

I can't take credit for the idea, but I've certainly taken advantage of it this past season. While browsing the Internet my son came across a video where hunters were making what they called deer bacon. Basically, they took their favorite deer sausage recipe and made it into square blocks about the size of a slab of bacon, then cooked/smoked them like normal. Then they sliced up the resulting 'slabs' into thin slices and viola 'deer bacon'

My son bought a cheap slicer and we decided to give a try. I was using my typical LEM Summer Sausage recipe prepared as directed. The results looked something like this. The larger slices were a lot more versatile than typical 1.5" summer sausage slices.

After eating a few packs of the bacon, I got to like the larger slices and thought something similar in size to a loaf of SPAM would be perfect. Since then, deer spam is all I've made. It saves me the time of stuffing the meat into casings and the overnight refrigeration that is required. With an early morning harvest, I can have deer spam in the freezer before bedtime.
Here is 25 pounds of the LEM summer sausage recipe on the smoker. I put the meat into baking pans to get the approximate size needed. Then placed the meat right on the smoker racks. Since casings are not involved, the meat really takes the flavor of the smoke a lot better. These were coated with Montreal Steak seasoning for additional flavor. I imagine a glaze of sorts might be interesting as well.
The finished product fresh off of the smoker.
From there, I just cut the slabs into spam sized blocks and package them for the freezer. Here are frozen packs of bacon and spam.
Now the part we've all be waiting for... :eusa-drool:
Mmmmmmmmm!
You won't find this on a McDonald's menu.

If you need to find an alternative way to put away a lot of ground meat, give this method a try. This is one thing I can turn ground venison into that everyone loves. Once it is thawed out and sliced, I've had it last almost a week in a sealed container in the refrigerator before it is consumed, so it doesn't have to be eaten the same day. We've never had a package last long enough to go bad. I'll probably still put summer sausage in casings each season, but probably only one batch. Making spam is easier for many reasons and to me the end product comes out with better flavor.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Boo

Re: Deer Bacon/Deer Spam

Post by Boo »

I hate saying it but I really like Spam but it's such an unhealthy thing to eat. This is an excellent idea! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

A friend takes his venison that he is going to grind and instead of adding beef fat he uses bacon ends and pieces from the meat market. Makes great burgers
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

^^^ Looks GREAT!!! :thumbup:
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Looks, Yummylitious
Great job :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Looks real tasty! :thumbup:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Looks like a great option for adding versatility to the venison menu !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'm going to go get some canned corn beef for lunch tomorrow. That looks tasty
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

DuckHunt wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:21 am
I can't take credit for the idea, but I've certainly taken advantage of it this past season. While browsing the Internet my son came across a video where hunters were making what they called deer bacon. Basically, they took their favorite deer sausage recipe and made it into square blocks about the size of a slab of bacon, then cooked/smoked them like normal. Then they sliced up the resulting 'slabs' into thin slices and viola 'deer bacon'

My son bought a cheap slicer and we decided to give a try. I was using my typical LEM Summer Sausage recipe prepared as directed. The results looked something like this. The larger slices were a lot more versatile than typical 1.5" summer sausage slices.

After eating a few packs of the bacon, I got to like the larger slices and thought something similar in size to a loaf of SPAM would be perfect. Since then, deer spam is all I've made. It saves me the time of stuffing the meat into casings and the overnight refrigeration that is required. With an early morning harvest, I can have deer spam in the freezer before bedtime.
Here is 25 pounds of the LEM summer sausage recipe on the smoker. I put the meat into baking pans to get the approximate size needed. Then placed the meat right on the smoker racks. Since casings are not involved, the meat really takes the flavor of the smoke a lot better. These were coated with Montreal Steak seasoning for additional flavor. I imagine a glaze of sorts might be interesting as well.
From there, I just cut the slabs into spam sized blocks and package them for the freezer. Here are frozen packs of bacon and spam.
Mmmmmmmmm!

If you need to find an alternative way to put away a lot of ground meat, give this method a try. This is one thing I can turn ground venison into that everyone loves. Once it is thawed out and sliced, I've had it last almost a week in a sealed container in the refrigerator before it is consumed, so it doesn't have to be eaten the same day. We've never had a package last long enough to go bad. I'll probably still put summer sausage in casings each season, but probably only one batch. Making spam is easier for many reasons and to me the end product comes out with better flavor.
We call that buckboard. Making me hungry right now :P
Boo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:53 pm
I hate saying it but I really like Spam but it's such an unhealthy thing to eat. This is an excellent idea! :thumbup:
Same! I grew up on SPAM because it was something my parents could afford. It's awesome cubed, pan fried, and mixed in with mac'n'cheese. My wife refuses to buy it.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

wheelsquad wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm
DuckHunt wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:21 am

Mmmmmmmmm!

We call that buckboard. Making me hungry right now :P
Boo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:53 pm
Same! I grew up on SPAM because it was something my parents could afford. It's awesome cubed, pan fried, and mixed in with mac'n'cheese. My wife refuses to buy it.
My wife won't buy it either,
women just don't understand. :eusa-think:

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do