Ticks!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Ticks!

Post by Boo »

I recently got permission to hunt on a neighbour's property and went for a walk with my wife and 3 dogs. We found a coyote den and one of my idiots had to stick her head into the entry. There are also a couple of islands of trees in the fields and all 3 inspected them thoroughly. Within an hour of us getting home my wife felt on on her face. I felt an itch on my back and one had started to dig in. I looked on the floor where the den inspector was lying and found another 6 :shock: I mixed up some .5% permethrin and sprayed everywhere the dogs sleep and nap, including our bed sheets :crazy: I also sprayed all of my pants as well as the wife's pants from the crotch down. They are all vaccinated for Lyme and we use Bravecto on them. I spoke to my vet and apparently its a very early and bad year for ticks! :eusa-hand: Apparently they have treated an huge number of dogs for Lyme. We haven't had ticks at home for years! What a pain. I don't do well with tick bites. The one that just started left me a good welt. I had 2 bites 2 years ago and the bite sights still swell up every couple of months. One spot has even developed blisters around it. Welcome to the last half of my life! How are you guys doing with ticks this year? :wtf:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Re: Ticks!

Post by janesy »

I haven't seen any yet, but last year was real bad around the Kirkfield, Beaverton stretch. I don't expect much of a change since the winter was an easy one for the critters to survive. Likely going to be worse this year
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
grouse

Post by grouse »

Excellent tick population here! Many of them are almost microscopic and hard to notice at first. I always spray myself with repellent but till find several ticks on me every time I get out of the yard. My two grandsons were up at the farm with us on Friday. My wife sprayed them both, but I found ticks on both of them. I told my son to keep checking them for a couple of days and he found three more ticks.

Bad year for ticks here.
axiom
350 SE
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

grouse wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:40 am
Excellent tick population here! Many of them are almost microscopic and hard to notice at first. I always spray myself with repellent but till find several ticks on me every time I get out of the yard. My two grandsons were up at the farm with us on Friday. My wife sprayed them both, but I found ticks on both of them. I told my son to keep checking them for a couple of days and he found three more ticks.

Bad year for ticks here.
Bad here in my part of Missouri also,
a friend of mine who lives in St James, was
diagnosed with lymes last Thursday, he is 80
yrs. old, Not good! :thumbdown:

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
lituani

Post by lituani »

Wasn't aware there's a vaccine against Lyme disease for dogs. Definitely needs to pursue. Thanks for the PSA.

Ticks are worst I've ever seen in Detroit suburbs. Our experience mirrors yours after taking an outdoor stroll. Permethrin is prolly working on long pants, but my problem is we gotta cross thru treeline to get to grass field and they jump down onto you - no way to protect against that.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Michigan has been getting steadily worse every year for ticks.
last winter was the 2nd warmest on record so this is bound to be a bumper year for ticks.
I have have been dealing with them turkey hunting and looking for mushrooms had one embedded on my waist line and one in my hair.
Others found on clothing and I Use Permethrin .
I hate those buggers.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

lituani wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:01 pm
Wasn't aware there's a vaccine against Lyme disease for dogs. Definitely needs to pursue. Thanks for the PSA.

Ticks are worst I've ever seen in Detroit suburbs. Our experience mirrors yours after taking an outdoor stroll. Permethrin is prolly working on long pants, but my problem is we gotta cross thru treeline to get to grass field and they jump down onto you - no way to protect against that.
They don’t jump down on you. They are most often deposited by mice on the ground or vegetation. They crawl up a plant and raise their feet that have claws to hook onto something passing by. They absolutely do not drop from trees.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 4:11 pm
lituani wrote:

They don’t jump down on you. They are most often deposited by mice on the ground or vegetation. They crawl up a plant and raise their feet that have claws to hook onto something passing by. They absolutely do not drop from trees.
This is 100% correct, the see thermal signature. When a red blob come by they put there "arms" up and hope to hook on. Indiscriminate little bastards they are.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Proceeds to waste 10 minutes on YouTube seeing if there are any videos of ticks jumping....
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
janesy

Post by janesy »

wheelsquad wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 6:29 pm
Proceeds to waste 10 minutes on YouTube seeing if there are any videos of ticks jumping....
And?
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

wheelsquad wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

janesy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 pm
wheelsquad wrote:
And?
It will be an Olympic sport in 4 years!😎
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:44 am
janesy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 pm
wheelsquad wrote:
And?
It will be an Olympic sport in 4 years!😎
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Boo

Post by Boo »

lituani wrote:

I can see how this myth started and perpetuated. My wife and I were in 10" winter wheat and not near a tree. My wife felt on on her neck and mine was under my shirt, on my shoulder. We've found them crawling up our pants and up our clothes. That is how they get on the upper part of your body.
Don't mind the children, they aren't disrespecting you, they always grasp at anything for a laugh. They make fun of me all the time. In fact, I'm surprised they haven't taken at shot at me on this thread! :mrgreen: However, after saying that, I expect to be in the barrel soon! :wave:
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 1:23 pm

I can see how this myth started and perpetuated. My wife and I were in 10" winter wheat and not near a tree. My wife felt on on her neck and mine was under my shirt, on my shoulder. We've found them crawling up our pants and up our clothes. That is how they get on the upper part of your body.
Don't mind the children, they aren't disrespecting you, they always grasp at anything for a laugh. They make fun of me all the time. In fact, I'm surprised they haven't taken at shot at me on this thread! :mrgreen: However, after saying that, I expect to be in the barrel soon! :wave:
Give us a little credit.

😜
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme