Texas Big Boar?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Partikle

Texas Big Boar?

Post by Partikle »

I don't know if this is an urban legend or not, but a buddy of mine emailed me these pictures and story. :shock: Anybody ever heard of this? That's a pretty big pig for a handgun don't you think. :lol: I did not write the story below, I just copied and pasted it in.

The fellow in the pictures is BOB LANCASTER, He lives about 30 miles from Houston, in the very rural community near Houston . He has 20 acres of land and on it, a few cows and horses. mostly it's pasture land that is fenced with woods surrounding him.
He is neighbored by a larger cattle ranch.
His neighbor has complained for several years that wild hogs had been raiding his cattle feeders and salt licks.
Last month he saw what he though was a cow in his pond and went to see if it was stuck in the mud and would have to be pulled out. When he got close enough to realize it was hog, the thing made a charge at him.

He had driven his truck down to the pond and carries a pistol in it as any Texas redneck would, and I say that with genuine affection. He got his handgun and when it came at him again, he shot it twice and killed it.

Wild hogs in Texas usually run from 100-400 pounds with a 400 pounder being a monster. Because this one had been feasting on grain for
several years it had grown to mamoth size. When Bob took it to the processor it weighed in at over 1100 pounds!

The meat has no wild taste, as it was grain fed and the Bob is quite the hero. He has fed may fireman and provided the homeless shelter in
downtown Houston with a couple of meals.

Joe Frank
Cypress Texas
Last edited by Partikle on Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRB

Post by PRB »

WOW :shock: That is a giant. I wonder if wild pigs would start breeding with domestic and cause these kind of results ???????
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Hes a monster. Lots of Bacon there.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Golden Eagle wrote:Hes a monster. Lots of Bacon there.
Bacon and more Bacon.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Never been to Texas, and I don't think I want to go. With pigs as big as trucks, and look a ghost behind the tractor. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Grey Owl
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

Piney,somewhere in that big boys ancestry he was a domestic,I'm sure.If they live long enough the boars do get huge. I remember one fom when I was a kid that went over 750 lbs when my Dad got rid of him!
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D That is one BIG PIG , looks like he's been using steroids. my 10 y/o shot this boar last year I thought he was big at 420# now after seeing this my son want's to move to texas GREYWOLF

Image[/img]
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

GREYWOLF thats one big Boar your Son shot :!: Nice picture, looks like a little grey showing in the beard, well sorta a little showing :twisted: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Yea ! 48 y/o and looking like my grandfather, My son is real proud of that boar he is mounted on the wall , and takes up 3/4 of it, now at 11 he want's to use the MAX to take a bear this fall , That's my boy! GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Nice pig, thanks for the pictures. How I envy anyone who is able to hunt them and turkeys for there are none were I live. I read everything i get my hands on about both. We have a lot of bears, last spring I took my wife and young one up the mountain pre scouting and we counted 27 bears in about 3 hours. I will be hunting them this year with the xbow that should be fun.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
DeerHunter850

Post by DeerHunter850 »

For those who are interested here is link with lot's more information about wild pigs in the souther US. The site is from Oaklahoma but the details are applicable throught the south east. In certain areas they have become a real problem.

http://www.noble.org/ag/wildlife/feralh ... istory.htm
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Maritimer wrote:Nice pig, thanks for the pictures. How I envy anyone who is able to hunt them and turkeys for there are none were I live. I read everything i get my hands on about both. We have a lot of bears, last spring I took my wife and young one up the mountain pre scouting and we counted 27 bears in about 3 hours. I will be hunting them this year with the xbow that should be fun.
You live in one of the prettiest places on earth Maritimer. But if you care to hunt pigs, come on down to FL and I'll put you on some good hog country. That hog story is true but it camne from Florida according to Snopes:

BIG HOG!
"The fellow in the pictures is Larry Earley, He lives about 30 miles from Orlando, in the very rural community of Okahumpka, just off the Florida turnpike in Lake County, Florida. He has 20 acres of land and on it, a few cows and horses. Mostly it's pasture land that is fenced with woods surrounding him. "

Texas is always trying to out-Texas us Floridians :lol: . I like to remind my Texan cowboy friends that we were running a million head of cattle here in FL, a century before the first one set foot in TX.:o)
Greg
Digger

Post by Digger »

It looks like a few of them got bred to the hogs before they left for Texas then. 8) :wink:

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

That was good reading deerhunter thanks.

Brayhaven it is really nice here but like I said we have no pigs, so don't temp me for I might just have to take you up on that offer.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Maritimer wrote:That was good reading deerhunter thanks.

Brayhaven it is really nice here but like I said we have no pigs, so don't temp me for I might just have to take you up on that offer.

That was no token offer, Maritimer. You'd be most welcome. We have reasonable non-resident fees here too. Here's where I hunt hogs a lot. http://lowersuwannee.fws.gov/ We loved Vancouver Isl. & BC. Great country & people. IIRC, Earnest K. Gann used to live on the island. One of my favorite authors.
Greg