Thanks Jim C.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PRB

Thanks Jim C.

Post by PRB »

Just installed the FFF string with the new BCY Crossbow serving material and it has only 19 shots on it. It takes a lot less fewer shots than that to start showing where those trigger claws sink in. After I shot today 19 times I looked at the serving one more time before going inside and that stuff seems to be made of steel. Excellent material 8) I'm keeping up with how many shots a serving lasts and from what Ive seen in this short time this will be a really good one :D :wink:
Thanks
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Bucktail

Servings

Post by Bucktail »

Pineyriverbuck,

I'm shooting a Dan Miller Flemish twist fastflight string on my EXOMAX and have over 300 shots on it and still not showing any wear on the serving. I do keep it well lubed with string/serving lube I picked up at WallyWorld.

Bucktail
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Myself I have been using Braided Serving .026 fast flight, Brownell & Co Inc. for the replacement center serving. I usually get roughly 40 shots before I notice any ware, give or take a few shots. These synthetic materials are much more abrasive then Excals OEM serving, so wax frequently.......
GaryL

Re: Servings

Post by GaryL »

Bucktail wrote:Pineyriverbuck,

I'm shooting a Dan Miller Flemish twist fastflight string on my EXOMAX and have over 300 shots on it and still not showing any wear on the serving. I do keep it well lubed with string/serving lube I picked up at WallyWorld.

Bucktail
Man Bucktail that's a super string ya got there. Myself with the FFF I get around 30-40 shot's then the serving starts too part, best for me is the endless loop Excel.. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

One of my POint Blancs got over TWO THOUSAND shots. Now I must admit the string rides slightly ABOVE the track. My second PB gets a new replacement serving about every 750-1000 shots. This is one of the reasons why I advocate deer hunters using the lighter bows, the strings last longer :P
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Jim C wrote:One of my POint Blancs got over TWO THOUSAND shots. Now I must admit the string rides slightly ABOVE the track. My second PB gets a new replacement serving about every 750-1000 shots. This is one of the reasons why I advocate deer hunters using the lighter bows, the strings last longer :P
The bold print explains it all... :wink: Plus 90# draw weight :!: Love it Jim C. :D :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks for the inputs.
I have to agree with GaryL on that string your using Bucktail. Those sound like excellent results coming from the Exomax.
I cant wait to see how many shots I get from this new serving. It kinda makes me want to go shoot it more to see how fast I can wear it out 8) :lol: 8)
Ill be keeping the update Jim C. when I get the final replacement tally on this serving.
Thanks
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

my first coach Charlie Pierson (a legend in bow design and flight shooting) told me how he used to put contact cement on the string back in the old mono serving days. I use Liquid Loc made by brownell. You have to wipe all the wax off the string under the serving and then put a few drops of that stuff. Designed to keep rope releases from spreading the serving. I use it on the dacron target strings I use on my australian bow as well as the PB
Evan

Post by Evan »

Jim C wrote:
My second PB gets a new replacement serving about every 750-1000 shots.
This is about what I am getting with my Vixen with the light limbs (the one I shoot the most). I don't think I could afford to buy strings if I was only getting 30-40 shots per string!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

:oops: Have to jump back in here and say Bucktail that 300 shots from one string is actually signs of good string care and maybe a lighter Excalibur such as the Vixen or Exocet at 150 - 175#.

As I was sitting at my spam table drinking my coffee I was thinking just how many times have I have shot my Vixen :?: and I really don't know but I do know it's sure been more than 300 times and I am still using the same string, with very little wear showing.

On my 185# Exomag however I am on my third string as the serving starts working loose from my cocking aid after 40-50 shot's. On the 200# Exomag I am on my 2nd string after about 150 shots, again serving working loose. I put a Excel string on more FPS and serving staying where it should. I do use string wax and rail lube, both which of course help keep the string and serving in good shape.

On the ExoMax it's a rough xbow on the strings at 225# it makes short work of the servings....There again I have went too the Excel string picked up 3FPS more and serving holding up very,very well.

So what I am stating is 300 shots from a xbow that the string has been properly taken care of and is not over 175# pull is by no doubt very possible. :D On a ExoMax that is a super string :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Bucktail

Servings

Post by Bucktail »

Gary L,

The bow is the max a t 225#, and you know from all the chonro testing I have completed lately I've been shooting quite abit. One day over 150 times with this beast.

I do try to take very good care of my strings. :D :D

Bucktail
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ayep I do Bucktail, I was way off base :oops: with my info. on string life and the Excalibur's. I tried to straighten it up and was still thinking this morning how to re-word my statement so it was correct....

Most of my string wear "was" from center serving wear FROM THE COCKING AID :!: :!: I did not mention the fact I have taken care of that problem by changing the hooks too a flat type string grabber such as used on the TenPoint...Works super.. :D

All my Excalibur's get good string life except one, as you.... most have well over 300 shot's on the string and still going strong. The 200# Exomag has had three strings changed in three years not from string wear but serving comining loose. I now have the Excel strings on my 175# Phoenix, 200# Emag and 225# Max.

bj, RL, Digger, ComfyBear and BigBear could give us all a good idea on string wear. BJ as he works with the Excalibur the most and Jim C. Both shoot a lot and have SHOPS (Archery) As Beaver stated shucks if we had too change strings every 40 - 50 shots we would all be busted...Like I ststed sorry all but I did screw up :oops: :oops: :oops: 2nd time in well I won't say :!: :roll: :twisted: :wink: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

ttt :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Bucktail

Servings

Post by Bucktail »

Gary L,

Can you post a picture of the Ten Point hooks you are using?

How do they differ from the ones Excal use on their rope cocker?

Bucktail
Digger

Post by Digger »

Servings on my Wolverines lasted well over a year as the first two I owned were hand cocked and shot between 500-700 times a year at targets. Carved limb Vixens were the same. Wear on tne mag tipped vixen, Exocet and Emag showed up much faster as the cocking aid seemed to fray the servings after about 300 shots and that was with waxing the string every 25 - 30 shots. bj served my new strings the last two years and I only swapped out the strings to go hunting and kept the old ones as back up.
My Paradox is a different kettle of fish 100-150 shots befoe reserving frayed or broke I now keep an extra string and cable in my day pack. I found that string wax put on and thoughly rubbed in with 2" square of leather would make my strings last almost twice as long.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity