my 10 year old and the exocet????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

speedball

my 10 year old and the exocet????

Post by speedball »

:D I know that i'm doing the right thing getting my 10 year old daughter interested in hunting with me, but will she[after i cock it], be able to get a shot at a deer using the exocet??, too much bow??, it has a bushnell 42mm red dot on it and the last x-bow i had she did real well but it was only 150lbs, i know i'm a worry wart but i want her to be suceessful first time out , ANY suggestions?? the one thing for sure is the exocet is bar none the most ACCURATE bow ive ever shot!!!! :P
gone huntin never to return................
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

Eveyone is different. My daughter (14) is very small and has limited experience. She could not handle the Exocet afield safely and I would never allow her handle or hunt alone with that bow at this point. All kids are not created equal in the practice of hunting safety and woodspersonship. You alone are the only one who knows what is right for your daughter. A youngster in my state of Maryland was killed 1 or 2 years ago with a crossbow due to lack of knowledge in the safe handleing of a crossbow. Good luck with your dicision and always tilt toward being overly cautious with our young hunters.
Riggs
speedball

Post by speedball »

i should of said i'll be hunting right next to her the whole time she is out there that is a very important "fill in the blank", i would never and wont let her hunt alone without me untill i am satisfied she can do it, later in life, my concern is primarily the bow not the saftey, i take every percaution not to have any-thing happen..speedball...... :!: :!:
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

No offense meant. I have no idea about you and you daughter I was just making a general statement with the rememberance of the tragic death of the young hunter in my area.
Riggs
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The movement of the limbs on firing can be very dangerous. Obviously so is the bolt!

So, to answer your question, IF you can narrow down all the variables that may make it dangerous, why not? That's also presuming she can shoot accurately enough that it can be sportingly fair to the game being hunted.

Having said that, not many kids at ten would have the strength to control the weight of the bow adequately to be able to point it and hold it at aim. However, if you could have the bow prepointed in the right direction so that only a minimal adjustment was required to enable her to shoot, that would be another matter.

Just remember, an object that is so heavy that it is a struggle to manipulate, will be handled in a clumsy fashion. That's where the danger could come...from having to handle it too much.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
speedball

Post by speedball »

all points taken!!!, my 10 year old is big she's the second biggest in her class and weigh's 93 lb's and does gymnastic's in the winter, i know from letting her shoot the horton yukon i once had she will be able to handle the exocet with my help in aiming or moving the bow to the general area, that is why i'm using a red dot instead of the far superoior vari-zone scope, but the dot does what it's supposed to do to get the arrow there, hey no offence taken RIGGS :lol: , we are the architec's for all the young ones and responsible hunters make great headlines against the anti-hunters to say this is GOOD and fun too!!!!! SPEEDBALL.....................
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Out of all my hunting tools, the crossbow is the one I'm the most fearful of. Those limbs under constant tension make me nervous...especially around others. I much prefer handling a bow.

That said, if she can hold the crossbow with enough strength, fine. If not, wait and don't rush it. My 11 year old boy is very big for his age and can hold my Exomag with ease. I repeatedly stress the possibility of self inflicted harm when I let him shoot it. The string and limbs can do tremendous damage, but you know all this anyway. Be carefull and enjoy the sport. :wink:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
BUCKSHOT

Humm!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Sounds like practise. practise, parctise! Bet you'll have a fun time practising this summer! It won't take long to get her in good shape for hunting, with your lessons!
At least the practise is good time well spent together, and an opportunity for you to decide on her capabilities, for this season!
Have fun and shoot straight!
Enjoy the Harvest!
speedball

Post by speedball »

thanx guys she's excited too, last year we just sat and watched the deer to get her used to being close, she did real good!!, but that's not the same as trying to get as shot at one, i know...with the exocet she one lethal 10 year old, i better not try to ground her, ha ha :roll: :D :D speedball..............