Smelly Topic!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntman

Smelly Topic!

Post by huntman »

Went out shed hunting yesturday morning and although i was not succesfull in finding any sheds, I could not believe the amount of deer dropings i came across. I found some of the biggest droppings i have ever seen. Not sure if the dropping identify the size of the deer but if they do I'm looking at some huge deer in the area :!: :!: Take a look

This is what i would consider normal size droppings at least normal to what i am use to!

This is much smaller probably from a fawn

But this is what suprised me WOW! :o

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Hi huntman,

From my experiences I've noticed that mature buck droppings will often have clumps in it as in the third pic or will be all clumped together, as opposed to doe and fawn droppings which will be broken up individually and not stuck together as in the two first pics. I'm not saying this theory is for sure, but from what I've seen and experienced it's been pretty darn accurate to me... Them droppings in the last pic I would say belongs to a mature buck... And yes, the size of the droppings will determine and is a good indicator of the size of the deer which dropped it..

LW
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

But did ya taste'em to see if they were fresh? :lol: :lol:
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

:lol: :lol:

That reminds me of a joke... you guys must have already heard it...

There was two newfies (no pun intended) who were walking/scouting through the woods checking for deer sign. They come accross something shinny on the ground, and one of them askes the other, what is that. The other guy says, i'm not sure, and he says smell it, so the guy smells it. He turns to his buddy and he says, it don't smell that bad. So his buddy says, well squeeze it, his buddy says it's soft and slippery. Then his buddy says, well taste it then, so his buddy takes a bite and says, Oh that's aweful he says, it tastes like $hit. His buddy replies, well darn good thing we didn't step in it!... :roll: :roll:

LW
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

LW, we must be hanging aroung the same hunting camps! I heard that one...a few times. :wink:

It's funny how us hunters are so amused by a pile of sh*t! In other circles, they commit people for this kind of anal obsessive behavior :wink: :lol:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I also believe the dung that's clumped together is from a buck. But also what they eat may dictate how it looks. Not sure if you have fresh green grass there yet, but moist vegetation makes the dung stick together.

Grey Owl