Xbow & Gun Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Galgo

Xbow & Gun Shooting

Post by Galgo »

Hi All.

I've had my exocet for less than two weeks now and I've already shot 50 bolts thru it. That's more than I shot with my two rifles combined last year. I figure all this practice is going to make me a better rifle shooter. Any have any experince with this :?:

F
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Well, if you're shooting both with a scope or are using a peep sight on both, I guess it would help you - at the very least it's good practice on crosshair placement and holding on target - though I'm guessing a rifle might be a shade heavier than a crossbow.

Excalibur triggers are nice for that too... I've heard they are very rifle-like.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

It helped me a lot. The main reason is the trigger is set at very close to the same poundage as most of my rifles. I have a scope on my bow and so the mechanics of shooting are the same.
maddog

Post by maddog »

I practice in my basement year round with a pellet rifle. It has helped me emensely with a flinch problem I had. I imagine Xbow shooting would accomplish the same thing.
Constant practice also gives good trigger finger control. I recommend it highly.

Bill
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

It will definitely help. Same disciplines. Follow through, sight picture squeeze etc. The thing that helped my rifle, bow & crossbow shooting more than anything is shooting flintlocks (flinchlocks :o). if your technique is off in the slightest, they are totally unforgiving. Shooting a flint pistol @50 yds is a humbling experience :oops:
Greg
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

The only thing I'm worried about is that there is a bit of creep in my exocet triger that my rifles don't have.

F
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Strange, I have never fired an Excalibur where there was any creep in the trigger. Some have had a heavier trigger then others but no creep.
maddog

Post by maddog »

Shakky wrote:Strange, I have never fired an Excalibur where there was any creep in the trigger. Some have had a heavier trigger then others but no creep.
I have fired 3 different Excaliber Xbows.....All had very noticible creep. The creep was eliminated in the one I bought by spraying WD-40 on the trigger mechanism. My trigger pull is very close to 3# based on a trigger gage....which is very satisfactory, but Id prefer 2 1/2 # just like my Remington rifles that have excellent triggers.

Bill
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Ya this one definitely not only creeps but creeps and then detents like the 303, then it's an instant break. Thanks I'll give it a squirt of WD and see if that helps.

F
hunteatsleep

Post by hunteatsleep »

My vixen creeps all the time and have sprayed it with wd-40 and it didn't help.Gotten used to it now.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

hunteatsleep wrote:My vixen creeps all the time and have sprayed it with wd-40 and it didn't help.Gotten used to it now.
when did you buy that vixen? there was a batch of them that had some problems-I had one, it was quickly replaced.
hunteatsleep

Post by hunteatsleep »

It's last years model.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I would contact Excalibur and have it fixed/replaced.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Jim C wrote:
when did you buy that vixen? there was a batch of them that had some problems-I had one, it was quickly replaced.
I also bought one of these Vixens with the defective triggers. Dan Miller not only replaced it, he also tuned it and give it his "special touch". This Vixen is now my favorite bow.

Evan
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

How much creep is acceptable? Let me rephrase that I know what you want in a trigger break but I didn't expect my exocet not to have any creep.

I wouldn't send mine back anyway because I am used to it now but I'm wondering what the line is between acceptable and defective?

F