Value for Your Money

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tmunroe

Value for Your Money

Post by tmunroe »

This summer I will be purchasing my first crossbow.
I have heard that the EXcalibur bows are the best. And no doubt, everyone who owns one loves it.
But there are other manufacturers too.
It seems that I could get myself fully equipped for 2-300 $ less if I go with another brand.

So..... what do you get for the extra 2-300 $?
Is it acurracy?
Weight?
Better construction? what's better?
Lasts longer?
Do people with Excaliburs have a higher kill rate?

What do you get for the extra $? I don't mind spending the extra $ but I don't want to just pay more just for the name.

Thanks - your input will help me decide which way to go.

Terry
BUCKeYeHunter

Post by BUCKeYeHunter »

the simplicity of excals is what makes them so good.less parts,less maintainence.less pieces between two points also makes for a straighter line(accuracy).combined with quality machinery and materials.

if all you have is $300. a good used bow 175# or better.

there was a nice set that came through here the other day.it was a 175# exocet with carbons,broadheads and a varizone scope for about $400.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Terry, You get what you pay for. Excalibur xbows are one of the top hunting xbows and it is the top recurve hunting xbow. There are other crossbows that are cheaper, not as accurate, with a heavy trigger, that you shouldn't want if you are to be a serious hunter.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I'm not sure what manufacturer you are thinking about that is $300.00 cheaper but I will answer your question. I own a Barnett and an Excalibur. The acurracy of the Excalibur is amazing. Far better then the Barnett. The trigger on the Excalibur is very crisp just like a quality rifle trigger. The Barnett has a very sloppy trigger. I would say the trigger travels about a cm before it breaks. The only negative I can point out about my Excalibur is the bow is wide and difficult to carry in the woods. If your hunting from a tree stand this won't bother you but if you like to still hunt then you may want to consider another manufacturer. I have never regreted buying an Excalibur. It is a quality product and you get what you pay for. Plus it's made in Canada.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Excaliburs are deadly accurate, with consistent accuracy I might add, maintenance free, built to last and to stand up to Canadian cold temperatures. Not to mention the extended waranty Excalibur offers.
Oh yeah, no headaches is another big plus...

To me all of the above is worth a couple hundred dollars extra...

LW
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Quality :!:
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Digger wrote:Terry, You get what you pay for. Excalibur xbows are one of the top hunting xbows and it is the top recurve hunting xbow. There are other crossbows that are cheaper, not as accurate, with a heavy trigger, that you shouldn't want if you are to be a serious hunter.

Digger

DITTO!!!!!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Put the cheaper xbow (usually Barnett) next to an Excalibur and compare. It was clear to me which one was better when I compared...Excalibur! 8)
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Two or three years down the road you will find the "bargain bow" wasn't such a baragin after all..

Cheap falls apart...

Quality lasts...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
PRB

Post by PRB »

I had one compound crossbow prior to the Excalibur recurve and I know that I will never go back. I have owned my Vixen for a little over a year now and there has not been one time I regret buying it. I'm still amazed of how much I love this crossbow and the dependability and accuracy that comes with it.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
tmunroe

The verdict is in.

Post by tmunroe »

Thanks for your comments.
You have all presented some very convincing points.

The last thing I want to happen in the woods is equipment failure, or an inacurrate shot.

Ok - I guess I know my next step.
thanks again.

Terry
Evan

Post by Evan »

What I like best about Excalibur is that their products are built by hunters that hunt! The simple, rugged design of their products shows that they are designed by people that use and know their products! A lot of companies these days are controlled by bean counters that could care less about their products, all that matters is the bottom line. Compare Excalibur's products to some of the complicated, "space age design" and "gadgety" crossbows on the market. Every company must be profitable to survive, and Excalibur is taking the right approach to profitiability.

Evan
TYE

Post by TYE »

The bonus I see about Excalibur, is that if you break a string on a Horton, or Barnet or any other compound crossbow, you're gonna have one hell of a time restringing. With Excalibut, you pop out another string on the spot and pop her on and BINGO! You're ready to go again, and no need to tinker with the bow after that.
BUCKeYeHunter

Post by BUCKeYeHunter »

exactly...........i was looking at websites for other brands and there really isn't a comparison.....excal is in a totally different catagory.
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

TOP quality, top service. Backed by the company. NO other company can offer this :!:
enjoy the woods
Doug