Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chessy

UNBELIVABLE a must read

Post by chessy »

Science project under fire
Author: Barry Ellsworth
Source: Belleville Intelligencer April 5, 2005

An 11-year-old's prize winning science project has been gunned down by the public school board because it involves firearms on videotape.

That's according to Natasha Rowe, a Grade 6 student at Madoc Township Public School, and her family.

The project, which uses two guns with bullets fired into a pall of sand to demonstrate kinetic energy, has been banned from the Quinte Regional Science Fair slated for this weekend at the Quinte Mall. The experiment was awarded first place by her home school.

Rob McGall, a superintendent of education with the Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board, said the project was reviewed and it was judged unacceptable.

"We have safety guidelines," he said.

"It is really about student safety. (This is) outside the parameters, We are talking about an elementary school student."

He said the board was worried that other students might try to copy this kind of experiment."

But Natasha's uncle, Mario Bertrand, said 12-year-olds are allowed to take courses to get a hunting licence and to discharge firearms under proper supervision.

"I am almost 12 now," Natasha said.

Bertrand, who is by all accounts an expert in firearms, handled the guns. He said what is a "perfectly reasonable" experiment that combines safety and science, has turned into a political football.

Natasha is crestfallen she can't advance to the regional fair.

"I'm angry because my science fair project was not accepted just because of the word gun," she said. "I don't think that is right."

But McGall said besides the gun issue and student safety, students are supposed to do the experiment and in this case, Bertrand was too involved.

"Adults were engaged in this project," he said.

"On these grounds, this project was turned down."

He said Natasha was told about a month ago that the project would not be allowed and she was offered time to conduct a new kinetic energy experiment, one that had no guns involved.

Natasha said she refused the invitation because there was nothing wrong with her experiment, as shown by her award at Madoc Township school.

"That's the exact project that won me the first place," she said.

Natasha's father Randy requested that his daughter be told by McGall in person why her project was rejected.

McGall agreed and he will meet with Natasha at the school Thursday at 1:30 p.m.

This article appeared in The Belleville Intelligencer on March 30, 2005.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Poor girl.
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

What a World, we live in!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Sorry but I agree with his statement "He said the board was worried that other students might try to copy this kind of experiment." and someone could get hurt with out the proper supervision..

He also gave her time to do a new project which I feel is fair.."He said Natasha was told about a month ago that the project would not be allowed and she was offered time to conduct a new kinetic energy experiment, one that had no guns involved. "

Rough to make a choice here I know, but when safty is in question I feel the right choice was made....No I am not against guns :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
huntman

Post by huntman »

I feel terrible for the girl, but i agree with the article. She did not complete this experiement without the help of her unlce, thus she has not done it herself! Not fair to all the other kids that struggled on the own....
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

She was told about the rules (doing the project herself) well in advance, so I agree that it should be disqualified for that. As for the involvement of guns, I find that ridiculous. What if she was 12yrs old and shot the gun herself???? Would it still be disqualifed?

If they are worried about the kids copying the experiment, maybe they should ban the kids from watching TV. Lots of guns on there!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DEAD-EYE

Post by DEAD-EYE »

this is horrible, and wrong,, a girl doing a project which wins, sure i dont like the idea of guns getting into the wrong hands, but this is not the case, to my understanding her uncle did the shooting and that was all, so she was safe and she did the work for the project, in a safe manner and she won,,, i personally have been held back or had projects rejected for lame excuses, such in this case, and it is truly unfair, to this little girl and all the hard work she put forward
hunters will do anything for a... buck!!!