O/T Morel Mushrooms

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PRB

O/T Morel Mushrooms

Post by PRB »

We found 7 Monday. Got some more rain and sun today. Talk the wife into going with us this time so she the two boys and I had a really good time. Maybe we'll get some more again soon. For now we had a pretty good day scoring some morel mushrooms. Does anyone else hunt these delicious things ?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Pi ... ure009.jpg
The boys just got out of the shower so thats why they're hair is wet.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Pi ... ure008.jpg
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
diesel

Post by diesel »

Those are some nice ones. I love to find them but can't eat them, Many others in my family love them. When I was young mon and dad would drive up to Michigan to hunt them. They would bring back 4 or 5, 5 gallon buckets full. Then we would clean and freeze them and eat them through the summer. Maybe that's why I don't like to eat them.
It's great you got your wife and kids to gowith you.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Nice job PRB, I might find some if'n I keep hunting long enough.. :lol:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Sam In Northern ont

Post by Sam In Northern ont »

I cant find them my way, but i pick the millers in the fall time and just love them. Sam
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks diesel. I love to hunt them too and eating them just the same.
Good luck Gary. They just started coming up here so you should be seeing some up there soon.
Too bad you cant find these Sam but I'm glad you find the Millers. Ill have to do a google search about those and see if they grow around here.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd guess it might be another week or two here before they are up. Mayapples just now coming up. Sure is great weather to be out looking though. Took my son fishing yesterday. He'll be 5 in June, and is big enough now to enjoy going. The landowner where I hunt has a small pond well stocked with bluegills, bass, channel & flathead cats, and a few crappie. The biggest flathead is probably 60+ pounds now, and a lot of channel cats in the 3-5# range, with a few 8-10#ers. He caught a few bluegills, then I put the only big nightcrawler we had on a 1-0 circle hook on his rod. A 3# channel cat nailed it almost immediately! Had to help him with that one, but he was thrilled with it! I like to take him where he can catch fish, and that spot is great! I even got the fly rod out and played with the bluegills for a while. It's catch & release there, so I don't have to clean them when we're finished :wink:
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

8) :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
terry-1

lunch

Post by terry-1 »

I had a bunch for lunch fried in alittle butter taste great. I only found about 20 someone had beat me to my best spot there was foot tracks everywhere. I found over 200 in this area last year looks like someone else figured out the spot too.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Sounds great wabi. I hope you find a bunch. Also sounds like you've got a great place to go fishing with your son. I'll have to make some time for that soon as well. Post pictures if you can.
No one else has found our best spot yet terry-1. We don't have as many grow here as they do up further north. But finding a few is great.
Good luck bstout. The dead elm thing is something that my brother-in-law told me that his dad has always said to look for. It has worked for me one time about 2 years ago. It was a young elm that was just starting to die and the bark was just starting to fall off the tip of the upper branches. I found close to 40 morels in that one spot. I haven't had that same luck since.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Went looking today and every place that looked good - as in there might have been mushrooms there - had been scratched up by wild turkeys?????? Will a turkey eat mushrooms?????
wabi
terry-1

today

Post by terry-1 »

Me and another guy were hunting today for a few morels and had the same luck,but we think it was wild hogs at this place. We would go to the normall spots and find the whole area trashed up by wild pigs. The only ones we found were protected by thick thorn bushes where they would be hard to access. I guess those pigs have good taste,but they better be on the look up when I pick the crossbow up again to go turkey hunting this week.
PRB

Post by PRB »

wabi I don't know if turkey eat mushrooms or not. Ive heard that deer and cattle will though.
Darn pigs :twisted: At least you found some for the table terry-1.
Thats interesting bstout. As I was saying my brother-in-law's father swears by the dying elm method. He said that when he goes mushroom hunting thats the very first thing he looks for. I think I will have to start including this method myself. I wonder if its different here though. Like I said 2 years ago I found around 40 morels around a dying elm, but I haven't found any there since. Maybe I need to start looking for more dying elms :roll: Do they only grow around the dying elm one season ?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Those things look kinda icky. :?