Any tricks for cocking the Xbow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

williamN

Any tricks for cocking the Xbow?

Post by williamN »

I have an 175lb Exocet and rope cocking aid. My son loves to shot the xbow but my lower back can't handle the cocking. He hasn't shot it since January. I am 5' 11" and I can get it nearly cocked with my arms but when my arms are bent in all the way I am still a few inches short and have to finish cocking with my back. I wanted to get a crankaroo cocking device but I just don't have the funds right now. Is there any little trick in cocking that would make me want to smack myself in the head and say "why didn't I think of that"? TIA!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Shorten up the rope on the cocking aid. I'm only 5'7", and use my arms to cock my Exomag.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

What comfy bear said.

You'll have to hook one side and then pull up on the string by hand to hook the other side.

Don't whack the string off until you get it where you want by trial and error.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
williamN

Post by williamN »

Thanks.
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

I think I've seen someone cock one while sitting down. You'd probably have to shorten the rope a bit (ain't knots handy?) to get the length right - then just sit in a chair, grab the handles, put your foot in the stirrup and basically "push" the bow away from you with your foot.

Make sure your foot is secure though - if the bow slips off you're gonna get one heck of a sucker punch!!!
williamN

Post by williamN »

I'll try that too. Thanks again
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Here is what I did yesterday..

I'll be hunting turkeys in a couple of weeks and I'm figuring out my broadheads to use.

I would like to use the Wasp Jackhammer mechanicals. BUT - I had heard that they could open up on launch.

If that happened the blades could hit my crossbow cocking stirrup. Not good...

So in order to shoot them and practice I took my foot stirrup off. I would then cock it by placing my feet on the limbs. That reduced the pull needed to cock the crossbow. I shot it about 20 times and the cocking worked fine. That 'might' be an alternative.

The Jackhammers seemed to work fine too. My son stood behind me and he said they all flew like darts.

I'll shoot them and my Wasp Hammer fixed blade some more before making a decision which to use.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
williamN

Post by williamN »

I was thinking more about this and came up with an idea. There is a tree next to my shooting bench and I was thinking if I put one of the large screw in hooks up in the tree( 7-8'), attch the rope coking aid then hook the stirrup on the hook and just pull downward using my weight. Any drawbacks that I might have over looked?
Digger

Post by Digger »

Don't let go till you hear the trigger mechanism click into place and put the safety on else.Image

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
A.W

Post by A.W »

williamN wrote:I was thinking more about this and came up with an idea. There is a tree next to my shooting bench and I was thinking if I put one of the large screw in hooks up in the tree( 7-8'), attch the rope coking aid then hook the stirrup on the hook and just pull downward using my weight. Any drawbacks that I might have over looked?
If the stirrop slips or something goes wrong you could be wearing a crossbow. I'd shorten the cocking aid to fit or get a krankaroo.

Remember "Murphy'e law"....If anything can go wrong. It will.

Personal safety first. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Kjay

Post by Kjay »

Like they have all said. Shorten your String, I am 5'10" and can cock my bow quite easily. When i first got my cocking aid i had it too long but did not cut the tag end off until i found the right place for it, in terms of ease of cocking. I have it now so that i can cock my bow sitting in my treestand. Mess around with it until you find something that is comfortable for you.

Kjay
huntman

Post by huntman »

Kjay wrote:Like they have all said. Shorten your String, I am 5'10" and can cock my bow quite easily. When i first got my cocking aid i had it too long but did not cut the tag end off until i found the right place for it, in terms of ease of cocking. I have it now so that i can cock my bow sitting in my treestand. Mess around with it until you find something that is comfortable for you.

Kjay
I doubt very much your shooting an exomax :!: :wink:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Zeke wrote:Make sure your foot is secure though - if the bow slips off you're gonna get one heck of a sucker punch!!!

HEHEHE............... done that. :oops:
Kjay

Post by Kjay »

I neglected to say that i use an Exocet, and did not ever say i shot a mag. so take er easy about jumping down someones throat.