Turkey found shot with arrow, on the move

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Turkey found shot with arrow, on the move

Post by Woody Williams »

This made the NATIONAL news on NBC. Something we hunters sure don’t need.

KHQ Local News photo by Don Clossin

SPOKANE, WA... - The attempt to save an injured turkey has moved into day two. That turkey with an arrow in its backside had been up in a tree since Monday. The good news Tuesday was the bird is out of the tree, the bad news is it apparently still has that arrow in its rear and is outrunning authorities and everyone else.

Early Tuesday the big bird was spotted at Wall and Euclid just wandering around, arrow in plain site on its backside.
The turkey picked up its pace when a cat saw it and started jogging after it, the turkey took off.Fish and Wildlife officials are trying to catch it, preferably with a net so they can pull the arrow out and check its health.If it's okay, they'll likely release it in the woods.
If you know where the turkey is right now or you know who shot it call the regional Fish and Wildlife office at 456-4088.Authorities also say that if you see it your asked to stay away and call Fish and Wildlife
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
TYE

Post by TYE »

The person who shot that turkey should have an arrow shot into his ass as well!
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

TYE wrote:The person who shot that turkey should have an arrow shot into his ass as well!
well i dont agree with you on this one tye...if you've ever looked into arrow shot placement on a wild turkey, one of the shots that are the deadliest is from behind as the picture shows. in this case i'd chalk it up as just another hunting incident. even though we all wish for dead as they stand knock down shots, we all make mistakes with arrow placement one time or another, thats archery and sh-- happens. its just sad this ole' bird had to show the whole world his problem :roll: -----STEEL
BUCKSHOT

Humm

Post by BUCKSHOT »

No Beard! Can you hunt hens in that State?
We can only hunt bearded turkeys in On., I hear the odd hen has a beard but I sure don't see one on that bird!
I bet it wouldn't mind having that tail feather plucked! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I cant really make out a broadhead on the front of that arrow.

I don't really believe it was hunting related at all.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
DJH

Post by DJH »

Can't say for sure, but the fact that it was not a pass through would indicate to me or at lease cause me to suspect that a bow with low poundage was used. There are obviously no bones broken indicated by the bird’s normal movement. Therefore, bone didn't slow penetration. Perhaps it was shot with a youth bow. That, along with field tip and the fact that it is a hen would indicate to me that this is the work of a poacher and not a hunter.
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

I saw video of the bird on the news and there is definitely NOT a broadhead on that arrow.......it is a filed point......
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

It does look like a field point.....or at least not a broadhead. It's too bad its getting all this attention. We don't hunt turkeys here very often, but my boss raises wild turkeys, and last year my friend shot one with his 70# compound bow with a field point. It looked very sinilar to the picture above. Went half way through then stopped. The turkey started to run, so I finished him off with my 870 (we were shooting trap too). It was kind of brutal, but he didn't suffer for more then a couple seconds. Tasted REAL good too!
A.W

Post by A.W »

GonHuntin wrote:I saw video of the bird on the news and there is definitely NOT a broadhead on that arrow.......it is a filed point......
I saw the video on CTV Canada AM. and it is a target point NOT a broadhead.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Herbinator wrote:last year my friend shot one with his 70# compound bow with a field point. It looked very sinilar to the picture above.
This "friend" should have a field point in his ass. Then someone can finish HIM off!
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

:? I wouldn't go that far. We didn't think he would live, but in case he did, I had my 870 ready. I don't see a problem with that. The bird probably suffered less then he would have if he'd been shot with a broadhead. It was literally one or two seconds.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mmmhh... Whatever, I would never shoot an animal with a field point. BTW, such things are always good stuff for PETA... :roll: So that's another reason. I wouldn't feed them. :wink:
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

This was before I knew anything about archery. If I had known then what I know now, theres no way I would have let him do it. I still see nothing cruel about the way it happened though. No fuel for PETA here.
maddog

Post by maddog »

What I saw and heard on TV.....The guy was caught, house searched and they found many game law violations. The arrow definately had a field point and It looked like a hen to me.
What a Jerk!!!!
TYE

Post by TYE »

STEELWORKER wrote:
TYE wrote:The person who shot that turkey should have an arrow shot into his ass as well!
well i dont agree with you on this one tye...if you've ever looked into arrow shot placement on a wild turkey, one of the shots that are the deadliest is from behind as the picture shows. in this case i'd chalk it up as just another hunting incident. even though we all wish for dead as they stand knock down shots, we all make mistakes with arrow placement one time or another, thats archery and sh-- happens. its just sad this ole' bird had to show the whole world his problem :roll: -----STEEL
I know about the shot, good choice... BUT It's a Hen WITHOUT a BEARD. That's what I was getting at.