GaryL

Post by GaryL »

8)
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
BOB VANDRISH

Ivory Billed Woodpecker

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I see these birds on a regular basis,in the woods near my cabin,just southwest of Bradford,PA.
I always thought that they were called a Pileated Woodpecker,at least that is what my bird book calls them.
You cannot mistake the sound of them tapping a tree,as it is extremely loud,and can be heard from a great distance.
They are identical to the picture they show.
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Description: The ivory-billed woodpecker, Campephilus principalis, is among the world’s largest woodpeckers. Only the imperial woodpecker of Mexico, now thought by many to be extinct, was larger. Averaging about 20 inches in length, the ivory-bill is frequently mistaken for the smaller but similarly marked pileated woodpecker.

I got'em here too Bob, the pileated woodpecker. Looks just like the ivory-billed to me.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Pileated Woodpecker

I’ve got at least in that tears up the tree in my backyard..Neat bird..

Ivory Billed Woodpecker

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
BOB VANDRISH

Ivory Billed Woodpecker

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Well,guys,the obvious difference between the Pileated and the Ivory Billed Woodpecker is the Ivory Bill!!!
My brother in law works with Parks Canada,and is an avid bird watcher.
He picked out 26 different species of birds in one day at our place.
I will ask him if he has ever seen this one.
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.

NOT the Pileated

Post by Guest »

Fellas,
This is not the Pileated Woodpecker rediscovered.
Anyone that has spent any time in the wild has certainly seen, and had their hearing deafened by the Pileated Woodpecker at work on a tree, or by its calling. :wink: :lol:

This is a bird rediscovered that was thought to have been extinct for 60 years :!:

Remember,..as hunters, we have an obligation to be stewards of the woods. Bird watching included. :wink:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050429/ap_ ... NlYwNzYw--
Last edited by Guest on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

And I once read in Mexico the ivory billed woodpecker was know as
uno grande piezo de carne
translation:
one great piece of meat :shock:
Seems like some of the birds are making a comeback. I had the rare pleasure to see a pair of bald eagles overhead this evening.
wabi
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

...Also not to be confused with the giant one eyed pecker commonly found through out North America. :wink:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

That's great!!! It just amazes me that a bird that big and that noisy could remain unseen (identified) for that many years. Maybe there aren't too many birdwatchers in AR. The one out there, I know, carry guns :) I guess people just brushed them off as the ubiquitous Pileated wp, without a close look. I read about suspected poulations after some birdwatchers heard them out there. They were reported to be in Cuba many years ago as well.
Makes you wonder how many other "extinct" species really aren't. Seems one was the wolverine in the Rocky mtns & they found some thriving there some years back. Maybe there's hope Sasquatch is really out there :)
Greg
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

wabi wrote: I had the rare pleasure to see a pair of bald eagles overhead this evening.
I never shared this almost forgot...

I was sittin in my tree stand down by the creek this last season. Im in a cluster of big hardwoods and hidin pretty good..I cant see much to my right because of a vine full dead tree. All of a sudden I hear this woosh woosh woosh..and out from behind the view blockage of the dead tree came a Bald Eagle flying right down the middle of the creek about 20ft high..WOW what a sight to behold..It had about 10 crows flappin as fast as they could to keep up..The eagle saw me in the tree and banked off and away at about 45 degrees and climbed away leaving the crows behind.It was such an awsome sight to behold...They come around hear to nest some and they are making a good comeback todate. I didnt see any deer that day but it didnt matter that made my day.. :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
maddog

Post by maddog »

I agree with Carl from Vermont.....the ivory billed bird has a wingspan of about 3 ft, and is about 20" long. Also, it was found only in the southern states. Its definately not the Pileated bird we see in Pennsylvania.

Bill
Digger

Post by Digger »

Just watched the CNN news this afternoon and they had a bit on discovering the Ivory Billed woodpecker in the swamps of Ark. The state is asking for $10 million to protect the bird from disappearing again.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Digger wrote:Just watched the CNN news this afternoon and they had a bit on discovering the Ivory Billed woodpecker in the swamps of Ark. The state is asking for $10 million to protect the bird from disappearing again.

Digger
I'd sure rather see it spent on that than lunar gases, or some other ridiculous pork project. :lol:
Greg
BOB VANDRISH

Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Well,the State of Ark. hasn't seen me in 68 years,so do I qualify for the $10 million?
I am nearly extinct,and there is nothing they can do about that!
Why not spend the money where it can benefit the people,instead of trying to save one species of wildlife?
Something is not right with this picture!
My two cents,as usual!!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.