Question for successful Turkey hunters this year....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Question for successful Turkey hunters this year....

Post by TYE »

...have you guys been using calls or no? I don't have a Turkey call and I don't have money to buy one. Just wondering if I have any chance.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Calls are cheap, especially mouth calls.

http://www.discounthuntingsupply.com/ss ... mit=Search

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

From what I have observed in the last 2 years, turkeys are a creature of habit just like deer.

They come off the roost first thing in the morning and feed for a couple of hours. They then head into the thick for a couple hours of rest and return later in the morning for another feed.

No amount of calling I did yesterday made these birds come out of their hide and head towards me. (probably am lousy at calling) . I tried every thing in terms of variation and technique but they stayed put. This is all the while their distance was only 200 yards from me.

Then, all of a sudden like magic all three jakes headed straight for my hen decoy and put on a show. This was 20 yards from me and even after I shot one, the other 2 stayed.

I firmly believe that in order to be successful you should setup in an area already frequented by the birds and by far the best tool is the decoy.

Best wishes and good luck with your hunt.

Just my observations and experience.
Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Ok Grizzly, thanks for the replies! I figured they were creatures of habbit too.

I'd like to get a mouth call but I got no idea how to use them... :oops:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Did I also mention I have $0 ... like NONE. lol. :oops:

Post by Guest »

$ell your computer. Then you'll have money. :idea:
chessy

Post by chessy »

how old are you and where do you hunt
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I don't know what your chances are without any kind of call, but I do know a few hunters that get their Turkeys every year with just a little calling. Its because they are exellent hunters who know the habits of the Turkey and they know the area they are hunting like they know their backyard. Find where they roost, and the direction they will likely travel to water in the morning and hope. Best of luck to you.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Yeah I know the land I'm hunting. I hunt deer there. I know where all the Turkeys waddle around too. The property has the largest population of wild turkey on it in all of Ontario.

By the way I'm 17 turning 18 in November.
huntman

Post by huntman »

TYE wrote:Yeah I know the land I'm hunting. I hunt deer there. I know where all the Turkeys waddle around too. The property has the largest population of wild turkey on it in all of Ontario.

By the way I'm 17 turning 18 in November.
When was the last cenus done for Ontario>? Did i miss something?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Cenus?

If its about the turkey population thing... I dunno, that's just what the farmer said cuz he had MNR or some crap come check out his turkey situation cuz they're ruining his crops. I have counted packs of turkeys in the fields at like 40 some turkeys. We counted 70 some in the big field one time. Thus why I decided I would take up turkey hunting, hehe. I walked up to a bunch of them one day at about 80 yards and every 10 yards I would walk towards them, they would move 10 more away, lol. Then my brother started trying to gobble like a turkey and ran towards them and they started to walk off towards the hardwoods.
globemountain

Post by globemountain »

TYE wrote:Did I also mention I have $0 ... like NONE. lol. :oops:
Send me your address and I'll send you a turkey call......
globemountain

Post by globemountain »

TYE wrote:Did I also mention I have $0 ... like NONE. lol. :oops:
Send me your address and I'll send you a turkey call......
DJ test

Post by DJ test »

I haven't posted in a long while but read all posts. I would like to offer my experiences. At this time of the season there are still hens being bred and the old toms will not leave them until later morning. He will remember where you called from and visit that area at a later time of the day. Decoys are a geat asset to turkey hunters especially a hen and jake setup. You still must have a call to let the toms know that there is a hen available.
Once you get his attention and he is coming to you-back off on a lot of calling. Do not make loud calls either. I usually face away from him to make it sound as if she is leaving. Hope this will help.
wabi

Post by wabi »

TYE
I know where the turkeys roost, and a bottleneck in their morning travel route where they will cross the creek. I simply set my blind very close to the crossing (which happens to be at the east end of my food plot) and do very little or no calling. The hens usually pass near the blind, and the gobblers tend to follow. Using this method I filled both tags in three hunts. The landowner took a week of vacation this past week and got a jake the first morning the same way. He did call in a gobbler at a different lacation later in the week, and did it by spotting the bird then hiding and calling it in, but he's a lot better caller than I am. I think most of us would be a lot more successful if we spend time patterning the turkeys and then getting in the right location to ambush them, than by trying to get them by calling. Seems to me like the turkeys here are becoming educated to avoid going near constant calling from a fixed location. If I do call, I keep it down to a couple short series of "hen talk" when I get to the blind and things have settled down, then I put the call away and depend on my location and decoy to do the rest.
wabi