Tree Stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tkstae

Tree Stands

Post by tkstae »

My health is getting to the point that I'am going to go to a sit down stand up type of climber this year. I was hoping that someone out there could offer some advice on which ones are the easiest and best to use. Thanks
A.W

Post by A.W »

I use the "Dog House" popup and find that it has lots of room for a foldup seat and my back pack. Easy to put up although you have to practice a couple of time to fold it.

Relatively light and easy.

http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/doghouse.html
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

[quote]I use the "Dog House" popup and find that it has lots of room for a foldup seat and my back pack. Easy to put up although you have to practice a couple of time to fold it.

Relatively light and easy

I also use this one , it works well and can get you set up in areas were
ther isnt a lot of good tree's around , as far as a climber look at the SUMITS sit & stand models they are light and save GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
POLE AXE

Post by POLE AXE »

The cheapo Chinese made 15' ladder stands work well and are easy to set up, even for a gimp like me. You can get one for under 60 bucks.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I like the North Starr, light easy to carry,safe and practical. I use the climbing star. Check out their Web site.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Thanks for the help. I've given some thought to using a ground blind. I know that some of the guys on this forum use them. There not to common here in my area so I don't much about them. It would be nice to stay on the ground on those days when the wind is really blowing, or I just don't feel up to climbing into the tree tops.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Welcome to the forum Pole Axe!

Oneshot............
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

I bought the Summit Viper X4 last year & love it. It is my first climber. My right arm is mostly paralyzed & I can use this climber with little trouble. I find it rock solid & quiet.
Get out & Enjoy.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

The Summit Viper was at the top of my list along with the API. Was hoping for someones input on either of those before spending that kind of money. Still looking hard at a ground blind also. Thanks for your advice on the Viper.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

tkstae wrote:The Summit Viper was at the top of my list along with the API. Was hoping for someones input on either of those before spending that kind of money. Still looking hard at a ground blind also. Thanks for your advice on the Viper.
I've used a bunch of (climbing) treestands, going back to the early 70's when I made my own (Baker type). Last year I bought a viper X4 after a bunch of research and I'm amazed at the climbing ease, quiet, stability etc. Highly recommend it. My only complaint is that it's way too comfortable. I'm sure I'll be sound asleep when "ole Nathan" comes strolling by :) BTW, all the really good treestand hunters I know, hunt a long ways up the tree 15-20' There were a ferw litle things I did to mine like filing off the sharp edges inside the rails so the strap coating slid better & didn't get chewed up. Also made some hangers for my possibles like, quiver, daypack, deer call, coffee pot, radio, TV, laptop (just kidding on the last 2)
Greg
darkhollowarcher

re

Post by darkhollowarcher »

You might want to check out the Timbertall line of two piece climbing stands very stable and very light they also have a leveling capability after you are up the tree at hunting heights.the baby lite weighs 12 lb w/225 lb. wt. limit ,up to the super brute lite weighs 16 lb.w/350 lb wt. limit.
I have used mine for three seasons and hardley ever use my API or amacher stands anymore. Bob

www.timbertalloutdoors.com
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Thanks for the information on Timbertall. The fact that their four to five lbs. less than the others is a big plus. They can also handle bigger diameter trees. Anyone else out there have any experience with this brand.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

You may want to look at the Lone Wolf Climber, It packs away thin and is the most sturdy climber I have used. It's fast and the best part it's quite. 19 pounds.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I agree with DH..Lonewolf sit and climb pricey but worth it in everyway..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'm thinking of looking into a doghouse blind also... I'm not one for heights... :oops: