3D marked yardage shoots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Butt

3D marked yardage shoots

Post by Butt »

Just wondering how many of you guys like the idea of shoots with marked yardages? Our next shoot down this way is in Picton (Crocked Arrow Club) The shoot is set up all marked yardages. I kind of dislike the idea, because it takes away the whole game of this sport. I do this to practice for hunting. I asked the club president about this and his reply was that their is alot of good shooters out their but they are not good with quessing yardages, so it gives them a handy cap. Well my reply was, I've been doing this for 20 some years and we had no handy cap back then. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the new guys and girls to this sport, but believe that there should be a better system. Like as soon as you register, if you want to know the yardages, you get an envelope with all the yardages marked, but then you would have to run two sets of trophies. Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Butt
wabi

Post by wabi »

Our club sometimes has marked yardage shoots. It gives some of those who can't estimate yardage a chance to shoot without loosing a lot of arrows. I usually know the yardage when I hunt, because I use a laser rangefinder, so I don't have a problem with marked yardages. If shooters would try to guess the yardage before they read the sign, they might improve their estimating skills!
wabi
Don

Post by Don »

Have been to a marked yardage shoot before, the scores were not much different than they would have been otherwise. The top shooters generally do well anyhow as their yardage estimation skills are better than beginners. Even knowing the yardage you still have to hold steady on your target to score well. Only ones who benefit are the new shooters that have yardage estimation problems.
Levels the playing field somewhat, much like a handicap in golf.
Good shooters hate it, poor shooters love it.

Unfortunatley it takes away my primary reason for going and that is to practice for hunting season, which includes the yardage estimation :?

Don :lol: