Turkey Hunter Snags friend with crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xboman

Turkey Hunter Snags friend with crossbow

Post by xboman »

This just in. Somewhere in Durham.

Decked out in camouflage gear and armed with a high-powered crossbows, they split up to track a bird they spotted moments before. The first hunter crouches low to the ground. The second spots the wild bird, raises his weapon, aims and sends a three-bladed bolt hurtling at 275 feet-per-second toward his prey -- which turns out to be his crouching hunting partner.

Check out page 2 of today' National Post.
TYE

Post by TYE »

People just don't seem to know how to make sure of the targets... We were taught that in the turkey seminars!! Jeez....
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

I don't have access to the National Post. How seriously injured was the fellow or was it fatal? No doubt the shooters own fault,but I would hate to have that on my concience!
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

I can see how people get excited when they hunt but you have to make sure of your target. About 5 years ago I was hunting a farmers field and it is a shotgun only zone. It was last light and a doe and two fawns walked to within 20 yards of me. I just stood there watching them for a couple of minutes before I made my way back to the truck. All of a sudden I heard a shot and saw the muzzle flash. The person who shot at the doe did not check what was behind and ended up shooting me with buckshot. I had two pellets in my shoulder a one pellet in upper arm, I was lucky it could have been worse. I have no access to the paper, I hope that he is alright.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

Maritimer wrote:I can see how people get excited when they hunt but you have to make sure of your target. About 5 years ago I was hunting a farmers field and it is a shotgun only zone. It was last light and a doe and two fawns walked to within 20 yards of me. I just stood there watching them for a couple of minutes before I made my way back to the truck. All of a sudden I heard a shot and saw the muzzle flash. The person who shot at the doe did not check what was behind and ended up shooting me with buckshot. I had two pellets in my shoulder a one pellet in upper arm, I was lucky it could have been worse. I have no access to the paper, I hope that he is alright.
WOW.....i'm glad your okay my friend--------STEEL
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Steelwork what really scared me was seeing the muzzle flash for I knew right away it was pointed in my direction. After I knew I was alright I felt sorry for the guy for he was in such a panic. He followed me home then drove my wife and I to the hospital to get the pellets out. It hurt more getting the pellets out then it did receiving them. Before this happened I did not know the guy but we became really good friends we do alot of fishing together. :lol: I have to admit for the next week or so I was a little nerves while I was out hunting.
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
bobby jost

Post by bobby jost »

Absolute madness... stupidity will prevail and it usually wins when dumb and dumber are trampling through the brush, never should anyone chase a turkey!

The birds are wiser than half the butniks gunning for them, playing the game as the game should be played (staying put and calling) is not only safe but ethically proper.

Imagine these clowns sneaking into an area with kids playing near by, they should both be charged!!

Certainly we hope the victim will survive his ordeal.

BJ
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

http://www.police.durham.on.ca/internet ... sp?ID=6954

Scugog Hunting Accident
16-May-2005 11:46 PST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 40-year-old Maple man was released from hospital today after being struck by an arrow while hunting in Scugog Township yesterday.

On Sunday, May 15th, 2005, at approximately 7:40 p.m., a 40-year-old Maple man and another male were hunting wild turkeys near Utica, on land located just off Lakeridge Road, south of Regional Road 21 in Scugog Township. The two camouflaged-dressed men, who were provincially licensed to hunt wild turkeys, split up in an effort to locate the game they had spotted a few moments earlier. Both were armed with high-powered crossbows, capable of firing triple-bladed arrows in excess of 275 feet-per-second.

The victim had crouched down low to the ground, when the other hunter approached. Seeing what he believed to be wild game, the second hunter fired in that direction, but instead struck the victim in the back.

The injured hunter was first taken by ambulance to Uxbridge Cottage Hospital, and then transferred to Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital for surgery to remove the arrow. Medical staff advised police the male was very fortunate that the arrow had missed his spine and vital organs.

Police remind all hunters to be sure of their target before discharging any weapon and Police are continuing their investigation.

Anyone having inquiries or further information is asked to contact Detective Sergeant Steve Bell or Detective Constable Bruce Kelly at 905-579-1520, extensions 2696, or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Not sure if it was a typing error, but did anyone catch the hunting time - 7:40pm. Last time I checked you could only hunt turkeys until 7pm. I hope they were charged with illegal hunting.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Ya that time was incorrect. He was released from hospital and expected to make full recovery. Doc said no organs hit. A fellow hunter on another forum visited him in hospital and will post details for us to learn.

F
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

That is good news, I am glad that is was able to survive his ordeal.