Interesting Crossbow Article

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DJH

Interesting Crossbow Article

Post by DJH »

Associated Press report from Glenn Adams from the state of Maine.

http://news.mainetoday.com/apwire/D8A2EUC81-132.shtml
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

A positive sounding article. Good read! Thanks!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Nice aticle. Any article is good when crossbows are becoming legalized. However I have a question... What is the logic in making draw weight regulations? Why do some states have reg's stating no crossbow draw weight over 200#?
-Hawkeye
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were inconvenienced"
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Very good artical, and great for other states to see. all it can do is make more revenue for the state by alowing more people to hunt. I have always liked that state. GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

That's really some good news for the boys in Tenn. That's also getting close to home here in Missouri. Maybe there's hope for the us.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

It is a step in the right direction, but they should be legal in all of archery season and not just firearms season..

Maybe in the near future???
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

Hawkeye wrote:Nice aticle. However I have a question... What is the logic in making draw weight regulations? Why do some states have reg's stating no crossbow draw weight over 200#?

My guess, it's to counter the popular myth that crossbows are more effective, at longer ranges. They probably looked at arrow speeds and draw weights and put a reasonable limit on it. Theoretically, you could come up with an extremly powerful crossbow that WOULD double ranges for std Xbows & vertical bows. That's probably what they are trying to avoid. I don't have a problem with it at all. Especially if it neutralizes some of the criticism, and allows wider use of our favorite weapons. :) Just get a little Vixen sticker for your Mag :lol:
Greg
wabi

Post by wabi »

Other than a few errors in facts
the bolt darts away at 300 feet per second, three times faster than an arrow shot from a more traditional compound bow
(what's "traditional" about a compound? - and the velocity figures are way off! Even my longbow gets around 200 fps velocity!)
A good article, and a step in the right direction. But I still wonder why states are putting crossbows in firearms seasons only? The firearm got the shoulder stock design from the crossbow (the crossbow far pre-dates firearms), and the shoulder stock is about the only similarity that exists between the two!
wabi
taxman

Post by taxman »

i wish that virginia would decide now on when crossbows will be legal.

on another note--im getting slammed on other archery forums about my change to a x bow. "how could you?" "why" are the main questions ask to me.

i really wish that other hunters were more educated about cross bows. i guess that i will have a stigma attached to me now that i have decided to hunt(when legal) with a xbow.
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Well taxman, here is a opportunity to educate them. Offer to let them shoot your crossbow whenever possible. If they have a open mind they just might smile. If they choose not to take you up on the offer to shoot then they don't want to know the truth. Let them live in their dream world where crossbows are deer slaughtering machines good out to 100 yards. It shows their ignorance.
Get out & Enjoy.