Question for Ontario Hunters...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

doegirl

Question for Ontario Hunters...

Post by doegirl »

I'm reading the lengthy regulations on moose hunting in Ontario. The regulations state that the "draw length" must be at least 11". Is the "draw length" their referring to the powerstroke? If so, then I'm screwed :( . My tenpoint only has a 9.75" powerstroke. I could use my hoyt compound instead, but my current setup only generates 40lb KE. Taking a moose is my ultimate bowhunting goal, be it compound or crossbow. I was thinking of a guided hunt in '06 or '07.
"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
-Thomas Jefferson
TYE

Post by TYE »

I hunt moose also :) But with my .30-06 rifle. hehe

Draw length is powerstroke yes. So you're like you said, 'screwed'.
BUCKSHOT

Clarification

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Good Mornin' Doegirl
Some clarification for you!
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/hunti ... se_eng.pdf
Quote:
When archery hunting for moose in Ontario, you must not possess or use archery equipment other than the following.
Crossbows
-Draw length must be at least 300mm (11.8 in.)
-Draw weight must be at least 54kg (119 lb)

Quote #2
Bows (compound, recurve, long)
-Draw weight must be at least 22kg (48.5) at draw length of 700mm (27.6 in.) or less

As long as you can fullfill these requirements you will not have any trouble hunting moose legally!
If you decide to hunt for moose with a crossbow, many of the experienced hunters on this board will have some good recommendations regarding bow size and bolt weight.
FYI
Enjoy the Harvest!
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

Doegirl, the length of the powerstroke is how far the arrow is actually pushed by the string. Drawlength would be measured from your latch to the bow. I don't have my Titan up here at work with me to measure but I am sure you will have at least 14 inches draw length :!:

Al.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I was under the impression that draw length was longer than the power stroke. My Paradox is supposed to have a 13 " power stroke from the brace height but a 16 1/2 " draw from the riser as I can convert the Paradox to an Emag.
Jim C should know for sure.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
bj

Post by bj »

i think you'll find that at minimum, the length is from the latch point to the back of the riser where the rail meets it...your tenpoint will be just fine...even a barnett wildcat that has a powerstroke much less than your tenpoint just barely meets the minimum...carry on moose hunting.. :D

- but of course if you were to turn in your ten point for an excalibur phoenix, there would be absolutely no question on the legality of the bow... :wink: - just kidding - you have a great bow and it will do just fine 8) ...

Wayne...
KNIGHTS OF NI

Post by KNIGHTS OF NI »

I had the same panic attack when I measured my first crossbow drawlength.
I was however doing it wrong, page 21 of the 2005 Ontario regs state;
"The draw length of a crossbow is measured along the bolt ramp from the outer edge of the main limb to the anchor point (release latch mechanism) at full draw"
I bet you measured the difference between the string at rest to full drawn like I did.
Check again using info from regs and I bet you are fine.
Then buy an Excalibur anyway :lol:
Regards Knights of Ni
shifty

Post by shifty »

I go bowhunting for moose every other year. I nailed a nice 37 inch bull last year at twenty yards he went maybe ten feet. I used my exomag with gold tip arrows and a 140 grn montec.