MAKEING THE "MAX" BETTER

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I have a theory on that string jump.

I think when a deer hears a noicse that is outside his danger zone it does not startle him as much as one that is close up.

I would much rather shoot at an unalert deer at 40 yards than an alert one at 25 yards.

A buck I killed a couple years ago at 42 yards never moved until the arrow hit him.This was after I had stopped his steady walk with a loud BAHH!
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
terry-1

deer

Post by terry-1 »

Woody, I agree with you I have shot around a dozen deer most were bucks with my Exocet from 7 yards to about 30 yards most were 25 yards about my (typ) shot I set up for. I have not had one deer move yet until the arrow hit them. I always hear the pop of the hit and then the deer takes off and usally hits the ground in 50 yards or less. I was very concerned about noise when I moved from my longbow to the crossbow. There is a big difference in noise between those two weapons for sure. After hunting with crossbows for several years now I don't even worry about noise anymore it has made no difference yet in the game I have shot.
Woody Williams

Re: deer

Post by Woody Williams »

terry-1 wrote:Woody, I agree with you I have shot around a dozen deer most were bucks with my Exocet from 7 yards to about 30 yards most were 25 yards about my (typ) shot I set up for. I have not had one deer move yet until the arrow hit them. I always hear the pop of the hit and then the deer takes off and usally hits the ground in 50 yards or less. I was very concerned about noise when I moved from my longbow to the crossbow. There is a big difference in noise between those two weapons for sure. After hunting with crossbows for several years now I don't even worry about noise anymore it has made no difference yet in the game I have shot.
The last noise they will ever hear.. ;)

Unless it is a WAHOOO!! from the hunter..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Sorry Guy's !!! I dont have all the test result's done yet , But I am surprized!! to say that prelimanary tests show that sound dampening and shock with ( FOAM) in the hollow voids of the rail !! only make's a slight differance in noise and shock!! the real reducing factor seams to be using an after market stock ( made of wood ) This is not a ploy to try to get MARK more sales !! but a fact! So far test results have shown that the stock!! ( FACTORY) without foam filling in the rail is 2.4 times louder than A AFTER MARKET STOCK without foam!!! ??? But the same (FACTORY) stock (WITH) foam is only 1.5 times louder than an after market with (FOAM) ?????( MORE TEST RESULT"S TO COME)
As far as the (TEFLON) Coating on the rail , well that test came back with a positive result!! . 50 shot's with a new bolt showed no groving!!! and a (3) F.P.S. gain in speed consistantly!! I havent crunched all the figures yet , but I will try to make a graph to show it all in the next week or so . Right now I have got to get some rest :? Thanks GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sounds like the remaining noise is being generated by the fiberglass limbs and or string contact, or possibly within the trigger mechanism. down pressure on the rail with the string will help , but it will also scrub speed and increase string wear.

Mark
Exomag ,Exocet,Micro 335
Scorpyd Ventilator
Gold tip laser bolts, Zombie Slayers,Spynal Tapp
Slick Trick, Rage, Magnus bullhead
Danny Miller Strings
Shoot a big one, Let the grunts walk