Newbie Crossbow Tips List Needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Newbie Crossbow Tips List Needed

Post by Woody Williams »

I would like to compile a list of crossbow tips for newbies...

Could you all list as many tips as possible- especially directed at newbie crossbowers?

We tried this before and we got sidetracked on the whys and a why nots of WD-40 for triggers.

Please DO NOT try and discuss the pros and cons of any listing that someone else has made. Just list your crossbow tips. You can explain why you listed your tip, but please do not try and critique someone else's tip. That will just get us off track.

The tips can include anything from intial assembly, maintenance, shooting, accesories, necessities, etc, etc, etc..

THANKS IN ADVANCE......
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Digger

Post by Digger »

First tip watch the video that comes with your bow and follow the directions.
2. Use common sense if your not sure dont do it.
3. Keep your fingers below the rail.
4. make sure you've loaded your bolt check before you pull the trigger.
5. use a different spot on your target for the second shot.
I'm sure there are more , these are the ones I would stress for beginners.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Great.. keep it going guys and gals...
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

Check to make sure limbs are "clear" before pulling trigger. Learnt the hard way when shooting off my tailgate......1 broken tail light later.
:oops:
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Bent/wrinkled plastic vanes on a bolt can sometimes be straightened by holding the end over a steaming kettle and then dunking the vanes in cold water.

When stringing your crossbow DO NOT be tempted to apply pressure on the stock for leverage.

Frequently check screws, scope mounts, etc. for tightness, since the vibration from crossbows can be tough on these.

Do not leave a crossbow strung in a hot car.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
wilsonj73

Post by wilsonj73 »

Never dry fire!

After cocking bow, always set safety.

Take hand shears to clear any limbs or other obstructions that may impede shooting lanes and area around blind or stand.

Always use a harness if using a tree or elevated stand.
Give a kid a fish and they'll eat for a day, teach a kid to fish and they'll eat for a lifetime!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

1. Learn your shooting limits, and stay within them limits when shooting at live animals with any hunting tool that shoots an arrow.

2. A range finder is a very helpful tool when bow/crossbow hunting.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
wabi

Post by wabi »

1. Read all operating and safety instructions and warnings that come with your new crossbow before attempting to shoot it.
2. Be certain of your target and be aware of what lies beyond before releasing an arrow.
wabi
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

GREAT... keep them coming guys..
Woody Williams

Philip W.

Post by Philip W. »

at final assembly, clear fingernail polish (or some brand of loctite) on all screws to prevent loosening from vibration and shock.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

TTT
Woody Williams

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Always remove your bolt from your crossbow when climbing in and out of your tree stand.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
BryanOney

Tips

Post by BryanOney »

1. Put a scope or red dot with a field of view greater than 65 feet at 100 yards on your crossbow. No other single thing has improved my accuracy as much as this tip. I would get so excited shooting at a deer I would not bear down and line up the 2 parts of the sights on a x-bow.

2. Hunt around corn, picked or standing. I see way more deer around corn than any other crop here in northern Ohio.

3. Shoot the low profile accurate broadheads such and wasp and muzzy. They are much more accurate that high profile broadheads that cut holes in animals greater than an inch and a quarter.

4. As soon as you see a deer coming towards you get your crossbow on your shoulder and ready to shoot. If you wait till they get close they will see your movement.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

With all the new xbowers out there you might consider taking an orange cap for the trip back out.
I posted a note below the rear of my scope to (check the bolt).
Take along a field tip to change on a bolt and unload your xbow.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

1. Do some field testing and find out what bolt/broadhead/fletching offset combination shoots best for you out of your crossbow and stick with that/them combinations. What works for one guy may not work for you.

2. It's always good to practice with field points but be very sure to practice with the bolt/broadhead combination you're gonna hunt with. Even if the broadheads you choose are known to have the same POI as field points.

3. Spin test your hunting bolt/broadhead set-up to make sure your bolts/broadheads are straight.

4. Get to know your crossbow, shoot it, get the feel of it, shoot it and shoot it some more. No matter what is said and has been said about crossbows, they still shoot an arrow/bolt so you still need to shoot your crossbow to get to know it. Let it become a part of you.

5. Concentrate on your target and squeeze the trigger, don't pull/slap it as it will cause the bow to jerk. Follow through with your shots, try to watch your bolt's flight until you hear the bolt hit the target.
Ontario Trophy Bucks