climbers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

duber

climbers

Post by duber »

I was at my local sports shop today to check out what they had for climbing treestands to sell .They only sell 2 , the Sniper hawk tc-400 and the Sniper hawk atc-4000 . The 400 is steel and the 4000 is all aluminum . The 400 is 31 pounds and the 4000 is 18 pounds . They both look comfortable and both are rated for 300 pounds . I don't need to backpack in to the stand . I plan on taking it in most of the way on a atv and leaving it there for a week or two so wieght is not an issue that way . But i was wondering if the wieght was a big issue for the climbing . I have only used a climber once so i have basically no experience with them . Does anyone have any experience with either of these stands or any opinions on wiether i should look out of town for something different . Oh yah i should mention that the 400 is 260.00 and the 4000 is 600.00 .
JDMiller

Post by JDMiller »

duber :

I'm not familiar with those two brands but I'd go with aluminum any time . If its one with a seat climber where you sit down and pull your legs up for the next bite ... the lighter weight will be easier . Especially during colder weather and you got more clothes on . I have used many over the years... Baker , Loggy Bayou , Old Man and API . I know some may disagree but I think my old API Grand Slam Magnum is abut the easiest to climb with and most comfortable .

Keep safety in mind . Your going to be depending on this thing to be secure , easy to use and comfortable while your hanging out there at 15 to 20 ft . A TMA ( Treestand Manufacture Association ) sticker should be on it somewhere . Its a pretty good bet they have been tested and safe . Wear a harness or some type of fall restraint device . Practice with it way before you decide to go hunting . They work on some type trees better than others and you will be limited to the diameter of the tree somewhat .

As far as leaving it hanging on a tree for a couple weeks use caution . You live in a whole different part of the country then I do but if I did this it wouldnt be there long . You be surprised what a thief would go through to steal a $200 dollar stand . I would at least cable lock it . I also would suggest looking into a portable ladder stand . They are easier to secure , easier to climb and just as light weight as the steel one you described . For the money you described you probably get at least 2 good ladder stands from Cabelas or Bass Pro . $600 is a whole lot to give for a aluminum climber ... this may be Canadian but I still think you can beat the price . Good Luck.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

love my lonewolf climber couldnt do without it.... 8)
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!