Ladder stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

russm

Ladder stands

Post by russm »

I've been looking at the ladder stands a bass pro for a while now. They sure look a lot easier and safer to get in an out of than the hang on stands I am used to.

Are they a viable option for bow hunting, or is the ladder too much of a give away to the game?

I know lots of guys like the simplicity of the hang on stands, but honestly they are a bit scary for me, espceially when I will be hunting alone.

On the other hand, I don't want to buy a stand that announces my location to the deer, and hampers my efforts to get them in close.

I would like to hear any positive/negative experiences with these stands.

Thanks,
Russ

Russ
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Russ

I have been using 3 of the cheap 15' Strongbuilt ladder stands from Bass Pro for a few years and just bought 3 more. They are more comfortable and safer than hang on stands and work just fine for bowhunting. I usually put mine up a few weeks before season and leave them all season long.......they are NOT a good portable stand.
Last edited by GonHuntin on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maddog

Post by maddog »

Now that Im getting older, ladder stands suit me just fine. I always used to use a climber but now, once the ladder stand is set up, I save time, its less strenuous, and there has been no noticable difference in a deer sensing me. Go for it, I think you will be satisfied.

Bill
BigUgly

ladder stands

Post by BigUgly »

5 deer in two years out of same 15' ladder stand and numerous sightings. Have ours set up with evergreens behind it. If you don't know where to look you'll never see it.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've used a cheap ladder stand for several years now, and it's my favorite stand! I leave it out almost all year except for any necessary maintenance/modifications. In late summer when it's dry I can get my truck close to it, so I take it down then - if I need to. This year it looks like everything is in good shape, so I'll leave it out. Last year I replaced a few rusty bolts and modified the seat attachment to give me more legroom. Actually the seat overlapped the top of the ladder and attached with 2 bolts on each side. I eliminated the bolts, inserted a smaller square tube section (for strength) to gain a few inched of legroom, and welded the thing together. I've shot several deer from that stand, and I think a lot of the reason is that it's comfortable & secure! I don't mind climbing up early or late (in the dark), and I can set for long periods without much movement. At 15' up, I'm out of the deer's vision well enough to consistently fool them, and with the wind in my favor I'm all set. I've only been "busted" two times, and with the addition of a dead cedar tree hoisted up behind me to plug the hole in the foliage that outlined me in the late evening sun I managed to kill one of the bucks that had "busted" me two weeks later when he came in from the same direction as before! The other one slipped in behind me with the wind in his favor. I heard him and tried to look behind me to see him, but my jacket scraped the tree bark and he was gone! He learned to check the stand from that one experience, and when I invited another hunter to use the stand I forgot to mention the buck. He got "busted" his first evening in the stand :lol:
I have other stands, and I use a hang-on at the same location along with a ground blind, but when the wind is in my favor and it isn't too wet you'll find me in the ladder stand!
BTW - I moved it to a new (hopefully better) location about 10 yards behind my feeder a couple of weeks ago. I sat in it one evening, did some minor trimming of shooting lanes, and then have avoided it since! By the time season gets here the deer will (hopefully) accept it as just a part of the natural landscape and it should be a good place to ambush one for the freezer early in the season!
wabi
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I hear you russm. I hunt mostly alone and climbing up homemade foot pegs in my tree stand, kinda scares me. I've since bought 2 ladder stands. One hunters view, 12 feet, and a doubleman strongbuilt, 12 feet. Hopefully this is high enough, if not I'll build up another 4 foot section on each.

Heading out early tomorrow morning to my property, can't wait. My wife is coming up Friday noon with the kids. Alfalfa should be all cut, I'll be able to get around scouting for new and better treestand sites.

Let us know how you've made out with your ladder stands.

Grey Owl
CaptainCharles

Post by CaptainCharles »

Set it up early, and deer will get used to it. I used a "Big Game" two person stand last year. Love all the extra room it provides. Used a "blind" around it to hide movement/outline......
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
peter p

Post by peter p »

Can you remove the first section of ladder on a ladder stand so no one will climb it and remove it?
If not, can they be locked to the tree so it won't be stolen?