Field dressing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JackZ

Post by JackZ »

Remember that each ime you cut a muscle group or bone you allow another avenue for contamination. Use the paracord around the anus and windpipe / esophagusas suggested above. ( or a boot lace)

Do as little cutting as possible and use your fingers to separate the connective tissue when possible. Most internal tissue other than the diaphram and a ligament and blood vessel that attach to the spine area above the kidneys can be done by hand.

Instead of splitting the pelvis on a buck separate the muscle groups until you can remove the colon cleanly. Once you are at this point there is no benefit to go further, only risk of contamination. On a doe you will not need to go in as far.

Do not wash the cavity out with any water that you would not drink. if the cavity is wet with blood etc. Dry it out with clean paper towels or wash with clean cold water then dry with towels. wash it ONLY with potable water. The best way is paper towels only and let it dry.

Keep it clean and cool and you will have a winter of excellent table fare.

JackZ
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I always split the pelvis using a small Browning camp saw. I find it a lot easier to dress this way. I have a game cart and always field dress away from my hunting area. Not afraid of contaminating area with smell but coyotes.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I don't wash the body cavity all unless it was a gut shot deer..or I accidently bust a gut field dressing it..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I don't wash the body cavity all unless it was a gut shot deer..or I accidently bust a gut field dressing it..
Same here.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Boltshooter,
All the suggestions are good and they all work. I use both methods depending on here and what I am hunting. Northern deer are bigger and thus the bone is heavier. If you split the pelvis it is easier to do with a young Northern deer where the bone is not as hard as it is when they get older. The further south you go the smaller the deer are and the easier it is to split the bone. I use a folding Buck knife with a chipper blade and just hit the knife with the heel of my hand or stout short stick. If the deer is bigger I cut around the rectum and pull everything back through the pelvis into the intestinal cavity. Caution is required in both methods to ensure you do not break bile or bladder. I never wash the cavity out unless it has been gut shot. A wet environment activates and encourages bacteria growth. The fascia, the plastic/cellophane like fibrous connective tissue that forms protective sheets between muscle and internal organs of the intestinal cavity is the best protection you can have. It dries quickly and provides a seal between the meat and any bacteria of the intestinal cavity.

Hope this helps,
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

:) Good methods.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"