What do you think?...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

What do you think?

I find it offensive
25%
I don't find it offensive
8%
(For you really mad ones) I think Jay should take a hike...
66%

Total votes: 59

Spank

What do you think?...

Post by Spank »

I just bought the November issue of Petersen's Whitetail Bowhunting magazine. In it I read the editor's note and in it I found something quite repulsive. Jay Strangis wrote, "Our apologies to any we might have offended by letting a crossbow ad slip into the September and October issues. We at Petersen's BOWHUNTING don't consider the crossbow part of bowhunting, and we have a policy of not running such ads, but somehow the cosmic genies that work behind the scenes placed ads bound for Petersen's Hunting in this magazine. Our apologies to loyal readers who may have taken offense." Wow, what a radical... I can't believe that, its as if the crossbow ads tainted or desacrated their holy magazine, give me a break :? (Just as a sidenote: I have no problems with recurve, long, compound, or any other bowhunting. I think they are all different and respectable styles of bow hunting). For one last ramble, the Editor almost made it sound like crossbow hunters are the scum of the bowhunting world, well THAT offends me. Maybe, I took it wrong, or maybe it was a formality the Editor had to do but whatever the case I don't like it. What do you think?...
dw

Post by dw »

and they put out a crossbow magazine :shock: :?:
maybe a boycott is in need
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
ch312

Post by ch312 »

if you think that is bad go over to archerytalk forums and see what they have to say about crossbow users :shock:

heres a few points i read that some of their members posted:

-crossbow users are skilless and like to take the easy way out. a crossbow hunter is a rookie that is buying a crossbow because they dont want to take the time to get good with a vert.

-crossbow users typically know nothing about the outdoors and hunting.

-crossbows are basically a gun with limbs and a string.

-crossbows arent a part of archery because they have a stock and usually a scope.

theres tons more but u guys can go read them yourselves. id say 95% of the members over there hate crossbows. go have a look and see if you can find something good about crossbows over there...
dw

Post by dw »

and they have a crossbow forum to :shock: .
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

On that same hike Jay's taking, bring along all those other boneheads that criticize Xbows.

Now I'm not just tooting my own horn, drumming my own chest, but I've got a hellavala more hunting experience than 99% of those narrow minded vert. bow hunters. I'd like to just once go head to head with some of those magazine editors or writers, and it won't be sitting in a tree stand, it'll be walking and stalking deer one on one.

I'm very confident in my abilities on Whitetail Deer hunting, and take pride in educating compound bow hunters in the joy of xbows.

I've never criticize any form of hunting, just naysayers.

Grey Owl
Spank

Post by Spank »

I hope Pertersen's will forgive me if I use the Editor's note as wiping material... :wink: 8)
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

ch312 is right about archerytalk but none the less we the xbow shooter`s are gaining , at lest we now have a form there ,

And yes I joined there before I found this form . :oops:
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:evil: STUPID SIMPLETON !!!! :evil:
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

This gives me a good excuse to drop a couple of magazines..

Petersens' Bowhunting and Petersen's Hunting..

Yes, they will know why I am dropping them..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

My email to them...

I had thought that Petersen’s Bowhunting had become a progressive hunting magazine and had recognized crossbows as the legitimate archery hunting tool that they are when they published a crossbow advertisement. I’m guessing that Jay Strangis caught some flack from the elitists and decided that he had better pull the ad and “apologize to the loyal readers”.

This comes at a time when we should all be pulling together to stave off the animal rights people that have joined forces with one goal in mind – to eliminate bowhunting.

Well, here is one “loyal reader” that takes exception to Jay’s remarks. The crossbow is a very fine ARCHERY hunting tool that is enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of bowhunters nationwide. How does holding a bow horizontal instead of vertical change a bowhunter into a non-bowhunter?

I am officially asking that my subscription to Petersen’s Bowhunting AND Petersen’s Hunting be cancelled immediately and I want to be refunded all monies due me.

I will NOT support any company with such narrow-minded views.
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Petersen's Bowhunting reponse to me..

Please do not respond to this message. We have received your recent inquiry and will process your request promptly. We will contact you further only in the event we need further information.

We are pleased to be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Subscriber Services Department
Petersen's Bowhunting

I really don't think they will be "pleased" to process my request at all..:)
Woody Williams

10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Woody Williams wrote:My email to them...
....etc.

Good one Woody, IMHO that will send a tangible message to them and I agree 100% with the comments on the letter that you quoted.

I would have done the exact same thing in your position.
10Ring
Spank

Post by Spank »

Woody... that was great. Polite and to the point. I guess it was a good idea to post this topic last night.
What a bunch of hog-wash...
Ga.XbowCop

Post by Ga.XbowCop »

Spank,
I think that Crossbow hunting is great due to my disability to draw a Vert Bow. I have a shoulder injury that is a result of years of baseball and shooting vert bows. For a while I had to shoot a vert bow because I would not go get my Doctor to sign a form to get disablity rights to use a crossbow. They have just recently made it legal here in Georgia to use a crossbow without a disability. My Father who went hunting with a bow for the first time used a crossbow and it took him several months to get the paperwork back from the State. If this magazine would think before they speak they might see that other hunters go to these magazines for advertisments on options for disable hunters. All that money and no brains. I think the guy needs to take a hike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Send him down my way. I have something for him.
Writing name down now for the citation he will receive............ :lol:
If you keep a child in the woods and off the streets, I won,t have to deal with them when they grow up.
Don

Post by Don »

Just read this myself and returned my magazines and sent email to Jay himself it was awful nice of them to have an email address for him on the website.

Below is a copy of my email and the email address so that if anyone else feels compelled to reply to this crap as well.

Dear Jay,

I went to the store the other day to buy my copy of Petersen's BOWHUNTING took it home and began to read through and came across your editorial. Imagine my surprise as a BOW hunter who uses a crossBOW to come across the following comment.

"Our apologies to any we might have offended by letting a crossbow ad slip into the September and October issues. We at Petersen's BOWHUNTING don't consider the crossbow part of bowhunting, and we have a policy of not running such ads, but somehow the cosmic genies that work behind the scenes placed ads bound for Petersen's Hunting in this magazine. Our apologies to loyal readers who may have taken offense."

I did not read any further I returned my Petersen's magazines to the store not 15 minutes after buying them, and never, ever will I purchase another of the magazines that are published by your organization. I will also be passing along this information to every other individual that I know that hunts with a crossBOW.

Hope you feel good about yourself.

Sincerely a former reader,
Don

Email address to the editor (Jay) [email protected]

Cheers,
Don