Stock improvement for Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Stock improvement for Excalibur

Post by Hi5 »

I like my Excalibur bows. I have both an Exomax and an Exomag. They're accurate and dependable.

However, I would have been much happier if instead of camo, the stock had come with a soft, quiet, finish, something like Hogue does with gun stocks.

If it came as an option, I would spend the extra$$$$ for it. The present stock is colder and noisier than it would be with a soft, rubberlike texturizing. It would also be easier to grip, I think.

Come to think of it, why couldn't the features be combined.... rubberized covering, and in camo? If it has to be one or 'tother, I'd personally vote for a dull, black, rubber, finish ahead of the present camo.

How about it Bill T ?

What do the rest of you folks think?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have wood stocks for my Excals. And Lovely black Vixens from the factory.

Tiger maple stock by Mark

wood laminate by Mark

Your basic black
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
axis

Slippery

Post by axis »

It is also slippery to hold with a cotten glove. I have to take it off to get a good grip on the stock. I'm afraid that the deer is going to see my white hand. Some rubber sounds good. Hope these are some good ideas Bill T.

Axis :wink:
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

I wish you guys would not keep showing those great looking stocks on here. You're making me think about spending some more $$$.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Digger

Your wooden stocks are beautiful. I'm not trying to take that away. However, the kind of hard use that my hunting equipment gets would be a sacriledge to such fine workmanship. My firearms are strictly utilitarian...the ones I hunt with, and the few that could be said to be collector's pieces, NEVER get hunted!

As to the factory Vixen stock, it's not the "black" which interests me. I'm saying that I would rather have black in a soft finish like a Hogue gun stock than have the camo hard stock that is standard.

All that I'm saying is that the factory stock is slippery, noisy, and cold, when compared to some products which are out there. Hogue is one that comes to mind. In a gun stock, the Hogue is tough, and doesn't show scuffs or scratches as quickly as wood. That kind of stock would be more friendly to a hunter than the current, standard stock, or even the custom wooden stocks.

Even if it cost extra, if it were an option, I'd go for it. If it were dull, solid black, that would be OK. If it were camo, that would be better than OK!!

I am not trying to start an attack on the Excalibur product. As a whole it is a fine product. I just feel this is an area where it could be improved.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

This is an easy one......strip the stock off your bow......scuff it very well..... take it to your local "spray in bedliner" installer and have them put a light coat of truck bedliner on it! Be sure you have them tape off anything that you don't want covered!
Digger

Post by Digger »

Thats OK Hi5 I like showing those stocks off anyway. I know what you mean about the Hogue type stock for Excal, I don't see them doing it unless they got hundreds of orders for them.
I do use the tiger maple stock on my Paradox for hunting, it tough, maybe not to your standards, but it suits me. 8) :D
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
terry-1

stock

Post by terry-1 »

A hogue style rubber stock would not only make the surface less nosiey it would also make the crossbow itself less nosiey when shot. That soft rubber would absorb alot of the shock form the crossbow. I like the idea myself not sure how well they would sell the camo stocks excalibur already makes look great in a catalog picture vs a all black rubber stock.
Sevcrist

Post by Sevcrist »

Yea, I would agree that the stock does need some improvement. I was at Bass Pro the other week comparing the Excalibur to the other crossbows and here is what I came up with. The Excalibur stock had more of a hard plastic feel to it when holding onto it and when tapping my finger against it. The other stocks just felt a little more solid and softer to the touch.