How do I get at the claw?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boltshooter

How do I get at the claw?

Post by Boltshooter »

I have been having a small (very small) problem when shooting my exomax. The claw (holds the strings back) causes abrasion on the string serving, to the degree that I have already had to replace the serving on my string twice. I would like to polish the contact surfaces with some emery paper, but I'm not quite sure how to get at the claw. Don't think I can do a very good polishing job without removing the claw.
How do I remove the sight bridge without messing up the trigger mechanism?
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Do think you have to take off the stock, then a couple screws hold in the trigger assembly, remove the two screws and take out the trigger then you should be able to polish the claws up.

Could e-mail Bill T. at Excalibur and make sure.... :)
TYE

Post by TYE »

I am having the same problem with my Pheonix.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

TYE wrote:I am having the same problem with my Pheonix.
Should not be having that problem with the Phoenix, lot lighter then the MAX....However depending on how much ya shoot it as some wear and tear is norm.... :wink:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Yeah, but my string is so chewed up, just on the one side.... I switched the string around, like switched the right end to the left..... and it's chewing through the other side now. I looked at one of the little "claw" things and it's got a tiny little piece of metal that pokes out enough to rip at the serving.

How can I get that off? Without making the metal claw all rough.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Fine emery paper, you will have to remove your trigger assembly then polish the claws up. You could send it back and let Excalibur fix it.... :)
TYE

Post by TYE »

That means I gotta send it allllllllllllll the way back to Kitchener....and I won't have a bow for a few days...

What's Emery paper?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well TYE after looking at one of my Excaliburs it looks too me as all you would have to do is remove the scope rail and the claws are very easy to reach and polish up. Just remove your scope and scope rail, take a very fine grade of emery cloth and a small piece of 1/8" or 1/4" round dowel rod and polish them claws up. The end of the hooks are easy to get to, then push them down (cocked) and you can polish the rest.... :)
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

TYE wrote:Yeah, but my string is so chewed up, just on the one side....
Exact same thing here TYE. The string is only chewed up by one side of the claw, the other side is fine.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

GaryL wrote:Well TYE after looking at one of my Excaliburs it looks too me as all you would have to do is remove the scope rail and the claws are very easy to reach and polish up. Just remove your scope and scope rail, take a very fine grade of emery cloth and a small piece of 1/8" or 1/4" round dowel rod and polish them claws up. The end of the hooks are easy to get to, then push them down (cocked) and you can polish the rest.... :)
So you're saying I don't even need to remove the claw from the crossbow :idea:
TYE

Post by TYE »

GaryL wrote:Well TYE after looking at one of my Excaliburs it looks too me as all you would have to do is remove the scope rail and the claws are very easy to reach and polish up. Just remove your scope and scope rail, take a very fine grade of emery cloth and a small piece of 1/8" or 1/4" round dowel rod and polish them claws up. The end of the hooks are easy to get to, then push them down (cocked) and you can polish the rest.... :)
I don't have a scope on mine so that takes away one step, hehe.

Okay I don't know what Emery paper or a round dowel rod.... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

:oops: Sorry for the last post, I'm a little confused. If I remove the sight bridge (scope rail), will the claw come off with it, or does the claw stay connected to the crossbow?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Fellows the claws are part of the trigger assembly, how they come off or out I do not know. I looked at my Mag as I have the scope and scope rail off, and I can get to the two claws very easy. Take your finger or a pencil and you can push the claws down in the cocked position and polish them up easily with a small small piece of emery cloth.... :)
TYE

Post by TYE »

I still don't know what this emery stuff is.... ;) :oops: :oops:
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

:? Confused about what you mean by "scope rail", GaryL. Do you mean the "scope mount", which is an extra accessory costing about $20, or do you mean the solid chunk of metal that the arrow retaining spring is connected to, which is an integral part of the crossbow?