No Acorns this Year

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boltshooter

No Acorns this Year

Post by Boltshooter »

From what I can see, the oak trees in my area have absolutely no acorns at all this year. I'm afraid this will have a detrimental effect on the plumpness of the local deer. :(
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Wow, its just the opposite here. We have tons of acorns and apples and walnuts. Looks like its settin up for a bad winter.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

Well, hopefully it won't have too much effect. Deer are browsers and do have tons of different food sources, plus our winters are quite mild.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Bumper crop in Southern Indiana..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just the opposite here in southern Ohio. A bumper crop of acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts, pawpaws, and all the wild fruits & nuts the critters love. I turned my feeder to the minimum setting for dispensing corn, as it was just piling up under the feeder right now. The deer & turkeys are still eating a little of it, but acorns are a very big attraction for them right now. Even the squirrels & songbirds have almost abandoned the feeder! In three days of season I've seen only 8 or 10 deer at the food plot, and only two of them came to the feeder. Most just munched some wheat & clover and then moved on.
wabi
Curdog

acorns

Post by Curdog »

I have never seen this many acorns, in all my 47 years of life.
Curdog
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:Just the opposite here in southern Ohio. A bumper crop of acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts, pawpaws, and all the wild fruits & nuts the critters love. I turned my feeder to the minimum setting for dispensing corn, as it was just piling up under the feeder right now. The deer & turkeys are still eating a little of it, but acorns are a very big attraction for them right now. Even the squirrels & songbirds have almost abandoned the feeder! In three days of season I've seen only 8 or 10 deer at the food plot, and only two of them came to the feeder. Most just munched some wheat & clover and then moved on.
"DITTO" fer Northeren Ohio also.... :)
decee

Post by decee »

Gazzillions of big ones in Mid Ontario
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

Area 93...... tons of acorns. Not many walnuts though. The landowner where I hunt has 8 walnut trees in his yard and there aren't even half as many as last year. Believe me I know because we spend many afternoons in between hunts picking them up so they can cut their lawn.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

There's alot of acorns in Eastern Ontario and Quebec this year.

A friend of mine shot a doe on Saturday morning in 64b and she had a stomach full...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

ohio is loaded with mast, especially white oak acorns
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
terry-1

acorns

Post by terry-1 »

We have a ton of acorns falling about the same as last season.The deer last year didn't hit my foodplots good until Dec and even then in low numbers compared to years before. This year is looking to be about the same I hate that I was hopeing for less acorns so I would see more deer this season at my farm. On my hunting lease it is a whole different kind of terrian which has little oak trees looks like south texas with big ridges alots of brush so The deer over there are tearing up my corn feeders big time.