thoughts about xbow hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Quote in part only ecoaster "I'm just saying that I personally try to make the kill as efficent as possible."

Is the way it is DONE.... :twisted: :D
taxman

Post by taxman »

im hunting in the backyard of a friend that sits on 1 acre. i dont want any deer to run off w/ a bad shot(GUT) that i have to go looking for w/ a flashlight thru other neighbors yards. to me, i cant see how gut shot can happen w/ a xbow and GOOD SCOPE. i know things happen(branches). im not nearly as consistant w/ my compound as i am w/ my xbow. that was all that i meant w/ the earlier statement i made in the previous post.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

taxman wrote: i dont want any deer to run off w/ a bad shot(GUT) ....., i cant see how gut shot can happen w/ a xbow and GOOD SCOPE. ......im not nearly as consistant w/ my compound as i am w/ my xbow.
So why on Earth would you switch back, if one of your main concerns is your inconsistant(poor?) shot placement?

What do you do with that many deer? 15-19 deer a year :shock: :shock: .
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
taxman

Post by taxman »

DEER sticks(yummy), jerky--LOTS OF backstraps. i give a lot away alos to friends. hunters for the hungry etc. ive already spent around $600 this yr on deer processing. when i cut up my own deer, we make dog food of the shoulders. i have 3 places to hunt that if i dont take a lot of deer out-they will find someone who will.

i dont take bad shots on deer w/ a bow--im just saying that when looking thru a scope, its like shooting a gun. every shot has been where the cross hairs were aimed(except one). with a bow and a single pin-that did not happen every time.

keep in mind that i have only been xbow hunting for 3 weeks and have only hunted 1 stand.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

, your 7 for 8 with the crossbow
would have been 9 for 9 with the compound
But your not as consistant with your compund as you are with the Crossbow

I'm confused

anyway happy hunting and good luck to all :wink:
[/quote]
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
boogap

Post by boogap »

Taxman, I'm glad you agree xbows are more humane than bows.
Mebbe yer not being challenged because you are hunting in the city....where my mother lives she has to chase them out of her flower garden almost every day. She hit one with her car a few months ago. You could hunt them with a hatchet and score!
taxman

sliver

Post by taxman »

sliver

the one shot i missed w/ the xbow (8 yards) i would of got w/ my compund. the other shot was also around 8 yards that i did not take cuz i couldnt see the deer thru the scope(which i have since replaced w/ a bette one). iwould of been able to see the fiber optic pin in that case.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

I personally don't care what method is more challenging than the other. I go into the woods as a hunter, my challenge is to get as close to my game as possible and then kill it. I do not care how Daniel Boone did it or how my great grandfather once did it, thats why I use an in-line muzzleloader, use sabot slugs in my shotgun, use a modern rifle when I hunt out of state and all my firearms are topped with a high quality scope. We don't call rifle hunters lazy or unethical because they are carrying a firearm that is capable of killing a deer at over 300 yards. We don't cry about the rifle shooter who can precisely place his bullet more acurately than a shotgun shooter using slugs. I hunt for many reasons and yes the challenge is part of it but it never has and never will be the only reason. If that day ever does come that I feel I can only justify killing an animal only because it is a challange is the day I sell my hunting equipment. As I stated, the challenge for me is how close I can get to my quarry. I for one no longer feel that I have to prove anything to anyone; especially myself. If someone thinks that in order to be a real hunter or a man that you should only hunt with a longbow or a spear then good for them. While they are out there trying to prove something to themselves or the world I will be at home enjoying a nice hearty bowl of venison stew and planning how to fill my next tag. :D
Sorry guys for the ranting but this challenging thing is just getting real old.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.