Close But No Cigar

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ben S.

Close But No Cigar

Post by Ben S. »

I was sitting in my stand on Saturday morning. It's a new location down in a ravine. I'm right along a creek. About 7:45 I catch movement out of the corner of my eye on the other side of the creek. It's in some thick brush but I can see it's a buck (either a 6 or 8 pt.). he comes within 12 yds of me but I can't get a clear shot across the creek. I could tell he wanted to get a drink. I needed him to move about another 3ft and I could have had an easy double lung shot. I swear he stood there for 3 or 4 minutes not moving and I was searching for a way to get a shot at him but I just didn't feel comfortable enough to shoot. He finally started to move but it was the wrong way. He doubled back and went behind me to the creek and started drinking. I still couldn't get a shot because my crossbow limbs couldn't clear the branches in that direction. I thought I could wait him out but The wind switched a little and he got my scent. Goodbye buck. To have him 12yds away and not able to get a shot off is still driving me crazy but in my mind I made the right decision. It's funny how it goes sometimes.
russm

Post by russm »

You made the right decision, and the hard decision. Look on the bright side, at least you got a look. And I'm sure it got your heart pounding. Much better than the days we go in and come back with out even a twig snap to get you excited.
North2South

Post by North2South »

Absolutely you made the right decision :wink: ...Had a similar situation last week where I had clear lanes but no assured "quick kill" shot presentation. It was a decent (for Florida) buck that had battled one side of his rack off and still had a sizeable (again for Florida) 3 point single-sided rack.

But ohhhhh does your heart pound or what??!!! :shock: :shock: Just think, you'll get to do it again soon! :lol: He'll be back.
You can take the boy South...
But y'all can't take the North outta him!

Time spent in the tree...is time well spent!
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

Not only was my heart pounding , my left leg was doing the twist.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Another time ben s, you did right.... :D
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yep you did right....... I still remember when a nice 10 point came within 20 yds of me but he was just behind the thick stuff..he never presented me with a good shot..I could have shot throught the crap--- but to wound a nice animal like that and never recover it which is a great possibility so i didnt...MAN did that wear me out..I never saw him again, but I am glad I didnt take a bad shot.... I had a great day anyway..that was a thrill..Im proud of you Bro and I dont even know you...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

I also thoink you did right
north2south what part of florida are you in .
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I had a spike-horn at twenty-five yards in a clear cut. With the accuracy of my Exomag it was an easy shot, 8) but with him coming at me straight head-on I had to just watch and let him walk and disappear. :(

Things like that happen, but with patience and preserverance, sooner or later the right shot will present it. For instance, just an hour later, I had a 32 yard shot. Looking through my scope, I watched as my SlickTrick tipped GoldTip Laser II nearly decapitated and toppled a grouse.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Way ta go ComfyBear..... :D
North2South

Post by North2South »

Ben ...where were you hunting? Tecumseh area? Amherstburg? I used to live in LaSalle and Essex before heading south...

Hope you take him on real soon! :P
You can take the boy South...
But y'all can't take the North outta him!

Time spent in the tree...is time well spent!
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

Hey North2South. I actually hunt area 93 somewhere around Watford. It's about 1hr 40 min drive from Windsor. I'd love to hunt around Amherstburg but I've never had any luck finding any land I could get permission to hunt.