Which bolts do You guys reccomend

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Orion

Which bolts do You guys reccomend

Post by Orion »

I got my doe last Monday I use carbon Excalibur bolts and this thing splintered in her pretty bad, you guys have the same problem, I used to use alum.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I've only been shooting a year with a couple of deer taken. I've not had any trouble personally, but have heard of a few problems with the carbons. The guys on this site should be able to guide you in the right direction. I think the most important thing to do is inspect those arrows often for splinters or any defects caused from practice.
Alaspan

Carbons.

Post by Alaspan »

I too use the excalibur carbons, and when I hit my buck on Saturday, I found only about 6" of it with the fletchings, it had splintered and broke. This may not be a reflection of quality, but more than likely due to it breaking off against a tree or something?

I'm paying about $42.95 CDN for a box, I may switch to aluminum as I hear they hit harder, and are a little less expensive.

I'm only a novice, so you may seek some advice from the more experienced guys here.
JR

Post by JR »

I only hunt with aluminums for that very reason. The odds are slim that the carbons shatter. My fear is that if a carbon shatters and I can't get all the slivers, I might get a carbon sliver in my meal, or worse yet my 2 1/2 yr old son eats it. Just erring on the side of caution. Better safe than sorry. The 2219 aluminum arrows are heavier, have more KE out of my Paradox and are also more quiet. Just my 2 cents. -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I use Lazer II's and have had one break and one too mush up from hitting a steel rod in a 3D target(front leg). I have yet to see a Lazer II splinter, only a CLEAN BREAK. The splintering with carbons is what has kept me from using them for hunting untill I started using Lazer II carbons.

This is/was a serious problem with a lot of carbon arrows in the past.

Anyone else having this type of problem with their arrows :?: and if so, what BRAND were you using :?:

Thanks.... :D
TYE

Post by TYE »

I keep staying with Aluminums for that reason. I think I'm gonna invest into some Gold Tips but I'm still iffy.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I had a carbon break this year when the doe I got toppled over. I cut out a 4-5 inch diameter hole around the entry and exit point to be safe and tossed that meat in the garbage.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Maybe I should stick with Aluminums.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I prefer Beman Thunderbolts when using my Paradox hunting, never had a Beman break on me , they are heavier than G,T. lls by 80 gr. at 20 jnches.
With my Vixen I use 18 inch G.T.s with 100gr Slick Tricks and the only bolt that broke hit a rock after a pass thru two seasons ago.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I too used a Beman just today with my Paradox,Got my First buck with a x-bow.The bolt did snap off thou when the deer fell over on it,dropped like a stone.
Digger

Post by Digger »

CONGRATS on your buck.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

thanks,and thanks for the help the year,it paid off.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:?: Over the last 6 years we (my 3 hunting buddy's) and my self have taken 21 deer , 1 boar and 2 bear ! , using recurve ,compound and X-BOW
All used carbon arrow's and bolts , BEMAN , GOLD TIP , CARBON EXPRESS and VAPOR'S. Some broke ,some passed thru intact and other's were broken off when they ran off before they droped. Working in an archery shop I talk to hunter's all the time . None of us , or client's have ever had a problem with carbon fiber's in our game we harvest.
I am more worried about using a power cut off saw on carbon shaft's. The dust it make's if inhaled stay's in your lung's and is not to healthy !! The benifit's of carbon arrow's have been noted and on record for over 12 years now . Back in the 70's I hunted with a long bow with cedar arrow's and can't remember more than a few kill's were the arrow's didnt break into piece's . I will stay with carbon for all the benifit's they have over alum. fiberglass and wood , But Designer 2 has me very interested in his new (dart) bolt system design. But for now I will stay with what has worked great and still offer's the best possible speed and killing power in the history of archery GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]