Using doe in heat B4 the rut

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jay73

Using doe in heat B4 the rut

Post by jay73 »

I am interested to know if many of you guys/gals are using any doe in heat right from the start of the season. I was told that it wouldn't be as effective in October due to the simple fact that the rut isn't on yet. How much truth to this is there?

Will bucks avoid an area early season because one used a doe estrus scent "before" it should be used? Can they really tell that this isn't right?

Or being early season, exactly what is everyone using in the way of scents right now. What scents have you had success with in Oct?

Thanks
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix
jay73

Post by jay73 »

LOL, don't be afraid to let out your secrets boys. I'm just a newbi tryin to learn the jist of it.

I just want to know right from wrong. What are your experiences? I ain't gonna shoot anyone elses buck. I don't think anyone on here lives near me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Any time after the 21st of October is good. After the 25th gives better results. But remember it is only one of the many tools. The wind is everything. As you can tell from my story, non-perfumed soap and shampoo and scent lock suits will not save you. The wind never lies.

Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
CaptainCharles

Post by CaptainCharles »

Not sure when you guys kick off the rut around those northern parts. Around here, the Pre Rut, or seek and chase usually kicks in around the 2nd week of November......Righ now, I am seeing some rutting behavior from bucks, but they are still hanging out in their bachelor groups for the most part......

I believe that if you use estrous scent too soon, it is not natural and will alert most older, mature bucks to some kind of trouble.....You could maybe attract an horny 1.5 year old though... :D
"The American Dream is having your name on a weapon!" - Ted Nugent
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

J
First off, you have to decide what you are hunting. If you are meat huntiing then do not use the scent as the does will be put off by it. It irritates them. Many times I have had them blow when they come in contact with the scent. However, trophy bucks seem to get fired up by it. Their dominance comes into question and they move to secure their breeding rights. I must point out again, that it is only one of the tools we need to use. Nothing works all the time, in every phase of the breeding cycle. It only gives us an edge.

The most effective tool is scouting many hours in the pre and post season to identify a trophy animal and learn his track and habits. All other tools just increases our odds sllightly.
Kendo Kid
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I generally don't use doe scent before the pre rut. It may work fine, but i believe deer will get accustomed to a particular scent signaling the presence of a hunter (especally if they bust you). I like to have a rutting but smell the scent for the first time when he is more likely to follow it.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
GR8RALLY

Post by GR8RALLY »

I would recommend Trails End 307 or Tarsal Gland on the early pre rut season before I go into the doe in heat scent. JIMO.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Thanks for the replies.

Kendo, I have very, very limited scouting area. A few acres only. It just happens to back onto a large section of bush, where I was unfortunately denied permission to hunt. (Another case of bad experiences with hunters in the past, can't blame the guy) What I am trying to do is get the deer to come to my stands. I have a bait pile, and that is working well, but just looking to kick it up a notch. I haven't seen any bucks as of yet and just wondering if using doe in heat may increase my odds.

I've seen many does in the past in areas that have been plastered with doe in heat - I don't think they cared.

I hunt the wind as much as I can in this small chunk. Basically don't even go out if the wind is not in my favour.

I had 3 does come by tonite, they came from behind me, which I wasn't suspecting and winded me or saw me, one or the other. They took off snorting. I wasn't impressed.

I think I'm just gonna start using it and see what happens.

Thanks,
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix
Masterhunter

Post by Masterhunter »

I have taken a nice 9 pointer useing the Trails End 307 or whatever # it is- anyway the buck came right up to it and stuck his nose on the scented cotton ball in a plastic film container. This was several years ago when bowhunting on public land in Okla. in late October.

Let us know how it works for you and what you use.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Where the does are, the bucks are sure to follow. The young bucks are traveling now but the bigger boys will be starting in a few days as well. If you have does now you will have bucks soon. You are watching your wind and that is correct. Now just give yourself some time and realize your opportunity will come. Doe in heat will be very effective in another week. Rattle and use estrous doe bleats to step it up from Nov 1 to gun season a week later. You are doing well. I am confident you will be successful as you are a dedicated hunter.

Kendo Kid
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

j, I'm curious...are you using a blind or tree stand? (You say you may have been winded or seen.)
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Using the wrong scent at the wrong time will hurt you more than it will help. I'd be very careful using scents. You should do a google search and do some research on the subject. You'll find all kinds of info on using scents, and on what scent should be used, and when it should be used.

Good Luck!
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

j
This might help you a bit

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/w ... 504a/#cont

Good Luck
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Woodsman, I am in a tree stand. Its only about 15 ' up. It "Y"s right where I'm at, so I can't get up any higher. I am also limited on the amount of tree stand sized trees in this area. I am going to try to build up a brush pile under me to kinda of hide me a little better. I don't know if they saw me or winded me, but 3 came up from behind me and stopped, stomping. I could even make out 1(just movement really) out of the corner of my eye. Was afraid to even slowly turn, for fear of scaring them away. When I heard them snort and bolt I turned to see 3 tails taking off.:( At least I didn't see antlers or I would have been a little more peeved. I have thought about ground blinds, but decent store bought are not in my budget right now and don't really want to make a huge racket in there dragging brush around making a blind. Plus the grass back there is over waist high in some spots.(Thats how I heard the does coming.)

Sliver, that was a great article!! It definitely made sense to me. I think I'm gonna try it like that, maybe use some buck scent for the next week or two, and then get into the estrous.

Thanks boys.
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix