bear fever hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GA.crossbowhunt

bear fever hunting

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

can a cross bow be used up in the great white north for bear hunting? was watcing archers choice today and they were in scatchgan( cant spell the place in canada) and i now have bear fever. would really like to go some day. i know we got black bear in north georgia but i do belive thier quata hunts for that. so can a crossbow be use. :D :D
leonk

Post by leonk »

The short answer is YES.
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

That really depends on where you are planning to hunt. Canada is large country with 10 provinces and 2 territorries. Each has its own set of fish and game laws. Suffice to say here in Ontario, crossbows are accepted as an archery weapon for any archery season in the province. So during the bear acrhery season in Ontario they are acceptable. Note that we do not have a spring bear season in Ontario anymore. Our fall bear seasons start as early as late August, I believe in the more Nothern part or the province. Our black bear poplualtion is healthy and growing since the removal of our spring bear season
TYE

Re: bear fever hunting

Post by TYE »

GA.crossbowhunt wrote:can a cross bow be used up in the great white north for bear hunting? was watcing archers choice today and they were in scatchgan( cant spell the place in canada) and i now have bear fever. would really like to go some day. i know we got black bear in north georgia but i do belive thier quata hunts for that. so can a crossbow be use. :D :D
It's spelt Saskatchewan :) Just thought I'd help ya out :)
rescue

bear hunting with crossbow

Post by rescue »

The answer to your question is yes. I have taken a black bear this year and last year with my crossbow. The are certain things that you want to be very careful of. If you are going to use your crossbow you want to make sure you get a kill shot and do not wound the bear. Unlike a dear a bear can be very dangerous when it is wounded. Especially if you are trying to track it and which usually tends to be in low light. The second thing is the size of the bear. Both bears i shot with my crossbow were around 130-175 lbs. A large bear leaves alot of room to miss the kill shot. The second thing is you want to hear the death cry from the bear after it has been shot and takes off. A fatally wounded bear will usually run and let a death cry or roar before it expires. I also took a black bear this year that was close to 500lbs and will probably make the boone and crocket. This bear I shot with a gun because the last thing i wanted to do was wound a bear this big.I hope this answers your question and I will be posting pics of both bears on here soon. One last thing. The bear population in Ontario is very healthy maybe to much so. Its time for the government to do something before someone gets hurt.
rescue

bear hunting with crossbow

Post by rescue »

The answer to your question is yes. I have taken a black bear this year and last year with my crossbow. The are certain things that you want to be very careful of. If you are going to use your crossbow you want to make sure you get a kill shot and do not wound the bear. Unlike a dear a bear can be very dangerous when it is wounded. Especially if you are trying to track it and which usually tends to be in low light. The second thing is the size of the bear. Both bears i shot with my crossbow were around 130-175 lbs. A large bear leaves alot of room to miss the kill shot. The second thing is you want to hear the death cry from the bear after it has been shot and takes off. A fatally wounded bear will usually run and let a death cry or roar before it expires. I also took a black bear this year that was close to 500lbs and will probably make the boone and crocket. This bear I shot with a gun because the last thing i wanted to do was wound a bear this big.I hope this answers your question and I will be posting pics of both bears on here soon. One last thing. The bear population in Ontario is very healthy maybe to much so. Its time for the government to do something before someone gets hurt.
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

thanks i hope to be going next in a couple of years. i have 2 more major blls to pay off before i can do anything and that will make me fre of debt for the frist time. thanks rob. :D