Make Your Own Scent Pads.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

A.W

Make Your Own Scent Pads.

Post by A.W »

A tip for inexpensive scent pads.

Last year I was looking to buy some scent pads but after checking the prices I didn't. I have often forgot to collect them at the end of the day.

So last year I went to the Dollar Store and purchased 2 felt shoe liners and made my own. Depending on how big you want them you can get four or more per liner.

I just get a good pair of scissors and cut the shape including a hook and hang them on a tree or whatever. You could also cut whatever shape you want and add some cotton thread to hang them up. If you forget them then you are only out a couple of cents.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
bowhunter4334

Post by bowhunter4334 »

sounds like a great idea,
i've been using those pads / patches for cleaning my shotgun...
i fold them in half and cut, and fold in half the other way, and cut,
so when i am done, i have an X in the middle, and i just put them on the end of twigs.....
Humans are hunters and gatherers by nature, although most do it in grocery stores these days......Reality isn't what it used to be !
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Good idea AW

, I usually use cotton balls, and I keep them stored in a film cannister ,, seem to work well, and if you happen to forget them, no big loss....
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
bowhunter4334

Post by bowhunter4334 »

hey! i like the idea of the film cannister......
i'm gonna look for something like that to fit my shotgun pads...

who knew? learned something today and it's barely noon

regards and thanks

bowhunter4334
Humans are hunters and gatherers by nature, although most do it in grocery stores these days......Reality isn't what it used to be !
wabi

Post by wabi »

Women's tampons work well, too. But I'm a little bashful about wearing them tied to my boots when anyone can see me. :lol:
wabi
A.W

Post by A.W »

wabi wrote:Women's tampons work well, too. But I'm a little bashful about wearing them tied to my boots when anyone can see me. :lol:
I don't know what this forum is coming to. Between bstout hunting in his underware and you tying tampons to your boot. :shock: :o :wink:

Excalibur XXX forum. :roll:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I see this thread going downhill fast, but I have to say it.
Bob,
If you ever decide to hunt in your longjohns and carry a used tampon in to your stand, you'd better be a lot more sneaky than I am with a new one tied to my boot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, a tampon is made to be super absorbant, so they are good for holding liquid scent. I have tied one to my boot that was soaked in scent (to drag along behind for a scent trail) then tied it to a limb near the stand. As for the used one, well it might work? I've heard of a successful hunter peeing in his mock scrapes and swearing it works as well as using commercially marketed deer pee.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:I see this thread going downhill fast, but I have to say it.
Bob,
If you ever decide to hunt in your longjohns and carry a used tampon in to your stand, you'd better be a lot more sneaky than I am with a new one tied to my boot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, a tampon is made to be super absorbant, so they are good for holding liquid scent. I have tied one to my boot that was soaked in scent (to drag along behind for a scent trail) then tied it to a limb near the stand. As for the used one, well it might work? I've heard of a successful hunter peeing in his mock scrapes and swearing it works as well as using commercially marketed deer pee.
Oboy :roll: :roll: :roll: what is next :?: think I will try the pee bit, with all the coffee I drink that will not be a problem :shock: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

The bloody tampon just may work. I shot a buck one year and while waiting in my stand for the 20 or so min. I try to wait another buck came along. When he smelled the blood he stopped dead put his nose to the ground and followed that blood trail like a hound!
alces

Post by alces »

I picked up some orange chamois from Princess Auto when they had them on sale for a buck. They are 18" X26" so you can sure make alot of scent pads out of them. I make mine fairly large as I also use them as my distance markers at the same time. They hold lots of scent as they are very absorbent yet dry fairly quickly allowing the scent to evaporate into the air during the peak hours.

Tom