Things Used But Not Designed For Hunting.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

This involves something that is made for hunting only I make it work double duty. How many guys use gun socks during the firearms season? Well they also make a great scarf when those November winds start blowing.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Yes Tye you get looks for sure. Got some the other day and the girl behind the counter says. Not too many guys will buy these for their wife. Man did she have a look on her face when I said they're for me not her. :D :shock:
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I read this on the forum a year or so ago and I thought it was a good idea. The felt pads you purchase for the legs on funiture so they don't scratch your floor. Stick them to the bottom of your boot with some doe urine or peanut butter or whatever you use. Works good.
dsr

Post by dsr »

Use the plastic or rubber coated ladder or thing hooks in your stand to hang your bow on. I know the bow should be in hand at all times but I'd hate to drop it if I dozed off--or am I the only one who ever dozes off?

I saw a good design on this forum last week about building a bow carrier for your ATV. I haven't tried it yet but I may. I usually strap mine onto the back rack of the ATV. I had a Kawasaki Bayou 400 and now have a 650 Arctic Cat.I tell my 4 yr, old grandson that it's a Pussycat. The strap works well on both machines.

If you are building stands old aluminum ladders seem to work well.

I have coated the inside of my glasses with dish soap to try to keep them from fogging up when I put on my camo face mask. It helps a bit. Has anyone else a better solution?
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
TYE

Post by TYE »

A.W wrote:TYE. This thread is for ideas. Not humour.

Any more ideas out there?
Okay, sorry about that.
bowhunter4334

Post by bowhunter4334 »

well, for any scotch drinkers out there...

i buy two different scotches that both come in cannisters,
the cannisters slide into each other snug.....and make an expandable arrow tube that you can paint camo, ....

it's a good way to keep your vanes from getting messed up in the bush,

another way, is to get one of those bigger ziplock bags, and carefully fit it over the vanes (all four arrows) while on the bow...looks funny, but works even better and more convenient than the cannister idea

cannisters=glenfiddick and laphroaig(sp) if anyone cares to try it

also, mentioned here by me before,
i like to use shot gun cleaning pads with an X cut in the middle for scent, and just poke them onto a twig through the X...

the film cannister idea for storage (some one else mentioned) makes this idea even better

thanks for all of the other great ideas guys,

good luck, and good hunting

bowhunter4334
Humans are hunters and gatherers by nature, although most do it in grocery stores these days......Reality isn't what it used to be !
The Pistoleer

Post by The Pistoleer »

As I have mentioned before I use the fluff from milk weed pods as a wind indicator. I store them in film canisters or pill bottles. I dry them in onion sacks so they don't fly all over the shop.

I have used the tampons for years. I always thought that was what the string was for :D :wink: . I put a small piece of reflecting tape on the canister so I can find it in the dark. I have also put the tape on clothes pins to use as trail markers to help find a stand in the dark. They are easy to pick up when you are done.

Pete
Be Safe, Have Fun
THUNDERCHILD

Cedar Sents

Post by THUNDERCHILD »

Nip the fresh ends of a cedar bough [1/2 lb]

-find the meat grinder and mulch them through
-get a couple margerine containers
- fill 1/2 with 99% rubbing alcohol
- put mulch in and let sit for about a week
- the alcohol will turn green and the mulch brown
- drain through a paper coffee filter *note rubbing alcohol is flammable!*
-pour into new empty sprizer bottles [dollar store]
-spray on dark colored hunting gear or around stand
-if your looking for something else to try......
-get some Q tips,stainless steel nuts,[1/4"]
poke Q tip through nut twist it ,do up about 10 to 15 pack in a zip
sandwich bag,pack a sling shot......spriz end and shoot area around
your stand...passes the time and lot o fun

o yea it works and smells great !
THWAAPP!!
dsr

Post by dsr »

Excuse my lack of knowledge ,Thunderchild, but what are these thingies? Are they supposed to be deer attractants or scent killers or whatever?They do sound like fun--especiallythe sling shot bit.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
THUNDERCHILD

Cedar Smell

Post by THUNDERCHILD »

Dsr

The mix can be used as a cover sent/attractant,the deal with the
sling shot is that it spreads the cedar scent around the stand and
it passes the time. [fun to].......oh yea it passes the time before the season opens
I usually get the whole family involved [clipping and mulching]

The deer in this area feed on cedar it like candy for them.

I actually had a deer paw up a cedar/qtip at 15 yards! .............
but [there is always a but] I left the safety on and had to lower bow
reach across flip it off. By then the deer had moved and I had lost
my shot.

The trigger safety,is no longer an issue because my darling wife went
out and bought me a Exocet.

cya
THWAAPP!!
BUCKSHOT

Things to Use!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I like to carry Allen Keys with me.
Another thing would be 1/2 dozen or so bungee cords, one of which works great for strapping a cushion to the tree as a backrest, and the others for strapping bambi on the bike, it's quick and effective!
Wet naps and paper towels are handy for clean-up, as well as a couple of shopping bags for clean-up and the odd partridge!

One other thing which I have not tried but have heard works well is a thingy called a bionic ear, I guess they are fairly inexpensive and they help you hear the critters doing there thing a lot better!
Enjoy the Harvest!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Thought I'd bump this up a bit and see if there's anymore ideas.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Liddle01

Post by Liddle01 »

Any berry or cherry flavor of Koolaid or Jello (dry) for hog hunthing. Sprinkle it around or mix it in the corn before you scatter it. Its a cheaper form of beast feast.
saxman

Post by saxman »

At my family hunting camp we have a walk in freezer for deer,turkey,hog,whatever. we get together there during the off season and have family cook-outs to eat and enjoy all that God has provided for us.
There are long periods of time when no one is there and one time the power went out,the meat spoiled then the power came back on,re froze the meat and then we thawed and ate it and alot of us got sick. So what I did was to take a 2 liter pepsi bottle,fill it about1/3 with water, turn it upside down and let that part freeze.Then turn it rite-side-up and leave it in the freezer,the frozen water is now suspended in the top of the bottle.If the power goes out for long enough time to spoil the meat and re freezes when we come back the ice will have thawed and will now be in the bottom,if we see this we throw out all the meat,so far it has worked very well
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
gad

Post by gad »

No kidding guys about my tip...

You can use a pet bottle to boiling water.

Must be a good quality pet bottle, do not fill to the end, let the cap a little loose, and throw the bottle on the fire. In some time you will see the water boiling, and the pet does not melt. Just take care on taking the bottle out of the fire. Open it, and now you have hot water to do that nice coffee. 8)

Of course, just in case you forgot the professional cookware...
Last edited by gad on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED