Why a crossbow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Believe it or not, I've always had a fedish (hope that's how its spelt), about xbow's, since I was a wee widow kid. And now, I'm not anymore mature, but have the cash to own and shoot one.

Grey Owl
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

[quote=I enjoy using different tools to hunt with for each one is unique in it's own way.[/quote]

Well said Maritimer, well said! :wink:
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
mfh

Post by mfh »

I agree it is another tool/toy to make hunting enjoyable. It is also great for when someone comes to town (and of course has/gets a license)...unlike my bow, my in law and hunting partnets from elsewhere can easily use the crossbow with a couple days shooting in the backyard.

I also like the xbow for stalking...when two of us are out in bow season...it allows me to still hunt, and drive the area at the end of the morning sit.

All tghe above is how I justified it to the wife...but honestly...it is another toy. :P
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

for me it was getting out in the woods early before the deer got all skidis with guns going off all over the place. i have been hunting with one since 1991 here in georgia. and no i wasnt illeagal i went thru the long drawn out process thru our dnr to get a permit for the crossbow even thou i had that i was still harrased by the dnr everytime i went out. i was more than happy when they paseed it here for everyone to use one with out no dang permit.. not only that i couldnt use a regular bow due to many sugries on my right hand and left elbow.and with that i lie to bring them in close. :D
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

I hunted with a recurve from 1954 until an accident in 1989 took the recurve away. When I went to a compound in 1990, I bought all the equipment of a pro shop from Apple Archery. I set up bows for kids and I also set up crossbows for folk with permits. Every crossbow I set up, I also shot. I discovered that I liked the crossbow and enjoyed shooting it. When the 2004 season proved to be my last season with even a 50 pound, mild compound, I got a Vixen crossbow. I have vacation from November 21 through November 30. I hope to see how effective my Vixen will be on whitetails and feral hogs.
I never was as good as I used to be.
Orion

Post by Orion »

I do it because of a rotater cuff shoulder injury's, and also like the early hunts, less people and more peaceful in the woods, not to mention weather is a little more tolerable here in western PA. :)
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

I, like Digger,started with a stick bow at about the same time, went to recurve, and then compound. I enjoyed them all but I love my crossbow. It is harder than sh-t to get through the forest but I love it more than I did the other forms of archery. It really is not easily put into words. I prefer to take my meat with no weels or cams.
Kendo Kid
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
BEARDOG

Post by BEARDOG »

My wife asked me the same question when I was looking to buy mine!

Here in Florida we have alot of wild Boar. On private property you can hunt them year round using any type of weapon. I had already taken one with just about everything else from a shotgun, rifle, handgun, compound bow, even a knife. The crossbow was a fascination for me and added some more excitement into the mix. After the hogs, I have found that my Exomag converts into a rather deadly alligator killing machine :!:

Beardog
maple

Post by maple »

Here in Ontario, anyone can hunt the whole archery season with a crossbow. No restrictions. This has been the case for decades(?).
I hunt with one because I like it. When I looked at bows five years ago, the vert compounds were too 'over-technologized' and subject to mis-alignment for my liking. Too many pulleys, pins, cams, buttons, strings, dampeners, peeps for my liking. If any one of those things goes wrong, you're screwed. I like to keep it simple and if possible, robust. Recurve crossbows are WAY more "traditional" than compound vert bows anyhow. Despite the advertised research, I actually think compound bows are inferior in basic desgin to crossbows. They involve bad physics and bad human mechanics. Just look at all the rotator cuff problems etc. on this forum as a result of using one!!
Being 6'3" and 205 lbs, I have no problem with drawing and holding a vert, I just really really like my Exomag.
dsr

Post by dsr »

In answer to the topic question---"WHY NOT?''
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
BUCKSHOT

Archery

Post by BUCKSHOT »

There is nothing better than a deer coming with-in 20 yards of your stand!
I love that feeling, and a bit of a twang compared to a kaboom is a lot more friendly to the environment!
Besides that, the advantages of Archery Hunting in general out weigh those of other styles of hunting for Deer!
The field is wide open so to speak! The local bylaws for rifle and shotgun hunting are stifling sometimes and it is nice to target shoot in the back yard or heck, even to set up a tree stand! Try rifle hunting like that around here!
The extended season, the relative freedom, the simplicity of the equipment and the peacefull enjoyment do it for me!
Enjoy the Harvest!