crossbow decisions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mjcurry

crossbow decisions

Post by mjcurry »

hi their

im doing alot of thinking lately and would appreciate and input on the matter. i am selling my exocet becasue i find it is very bulky/big.i do alot of still hunting and even in a tree stand i find it awkward so i was thinking of getting a straight bow.(ive used one alot before and like it) but hunting with a straight bow is also kinda akward so i was thinking of looking at a horton x bow they seem to be smaller and the limbs wouldnt shoot out like the recurve. anyone have a horton and hunts with it wanna give me some pros and cons thanx!

matt
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Will admit the excal can be a little awkward but I find yoy can't beat their performance. If you are thinking of going with a compound xbow I would really suggest a tenpoint instead of Horton. I have friends who shoot tenpoints and they seem more to the task than Hortons. One of my friends shot a Horton for a few years without problems then it started to work like crap. Not just accuracy but cable and pulley failure. This was about 5 years ago when he got it so maybe they have improved. I'd never give up on my excal too simple and efficient.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not a Horton fan, but they do make some decent crossbows. I like the simplicity of recurve limbs, but most compound models are narrower.
I have a hunting buddy who uses a Horton Hunter and likes it. The trigger is creepy, but if you pull the trigger with the safety on to take up the slack, then release the safety and shoot it's very good. The model he has is a little heavier than my Excalibur, and a lot noisier, but it's fairly accurate. And he can shoot it in his "outhouse" blind, I can't shoot an Excalibur in it unless I'm extremely careful. If I were going to a compound model, I'd look at the new 6-point (10-point's new line) before I made a purchase.
wabi
designer 2

Post by designer 2 »

mjcurry

The excalibur is only about 2" longer and each limb sticks out 4 to 4-1/2" more each side than the spec of a Ten-point bow. That's not alot. What is alot, is the fact that the Ten-point is at least 1-1/2 pounds heavier. To me, the extra weight is more bulky than the overall size. JMO
My mind is made up. Do not confuse me with the facts.
TYE

Post by TYE »

and for the price of a Tenpoint, you could buy 2 Excaliburs!
mjcurry

Post by mjcurry »

im not dissing the x calibur their an awsome bow real accurate and yes very simple. the only thing i dont like is in a situation the limbs move alot more then a compound so some stands are a lil risking but im still thinking. i already have all the accesories and the scope sigthed in so im just not sure yet.
Bruno-TL

Post by Bruno-TL »

Here is my two cents. I just finished hunting Wisconsin in mid Oct.
All of my hunting is done from treestands. I used both a Horton Hunter Supreme, and an Excalibut Exomag. Shot deer with both. I do however have more confidence in the Excal. My Horton is a fine bow, but just not as accurate as the Excal. :)
maddog

Post by maddog »

Read your posting with interest. I too, have a Horton and an Excalibur crossbow and have the same feelings as you. The Horton is noticably more "compact" making treestand shots a little easier. But I like the Excal. also. It is hard to favor one over the other. This year, Im doing most of my hunting with the Excal.....just to get used to its size.
A.W

Post by A.W »

[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.