Bow hunting on windy days

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

peter p

Bow hunting on windy days

Post by peter p »

It's pretty windy here in Southern Ontario. What do you guys think about hunting on windy days?
Tree stand hunting is out of the question due to gusty winds.
Do you think the deer will be moving this afternoon?
peter p

Post by peter p »

Well I'm gonna find out.
Deer Dave

Post by Deer Dave »

It can be tricky in the wind...accuracy is affected on longer shots with a good crosswind, and deer seem to be more cautious when it is windy out, I have seen less deer movement on windy days...especially with a mix of ice .....noise becomes a big factor in the wind and deer do not like it..they seem really spooky.

Dave
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

AUH yes deerdave thats true..however during the rut the loose there mind..Ive seen bucks walkin striaght thru a 5 ft tall hay field in a wind storm all I did was head him off at the pass ...( I knew where he was goin to ) and in the woods with a 3d suit on trees a rockin leaves a blown the sound of the wind rushing thru the trees covers my noise..It just takes comin across one and youll get a shot and when you do you fall in love with stalk hunting..Ive done it many times with success...take care good luck..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Well, it was windy as hell today and I seen one doe. I wasn't hunting though. Sure gets me more and more excited to be hunting though!
EX200

Post by EX200 »

Well I chose not to hunt today because of the wind, but at 5:30 I went for a drive and see two does moving out in the open close to home. I guess I should of got out there and gave it a try. Now we'll see how the black powder guys do this week.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I see deer moving in the wind all the time. They're more cautious, and I don't think they like it much, but they have to eat. Myself, I worry about getting beaned by a big falling tree branch when in the woods on a windy day. The worst thing about a windy day, though, is that your scent gets blown all around making it hard to have a foolproof set-up with a ground blind.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I was huntin one day and I heard a huge crack and timber coming down..it was far off i could tell but it was a big tree..WELL when I left I found the dame thang fell across the road the only road to get out on and I had to trim ditch trees to get out almost got stuck what a pain it was..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!