I feel like qiving up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I learned the hard way to take only high percentage shots. I too felt like crap for wounding a deer. I too wanted to give up hunting all together. I prided myself in being a good, conscientious, ethical hunter. I went against my own rules and beliefs.

The guys here helped me see that we do make errors, that things happen, that a wounded animal is an unfortunate part of hunting. I learned a very valuable lesson. I kept the damaged arrow as a reminder of what I did. But I did not stop hunting. I did some serious soul searching. I think the experience has made me a better hunter.

This weekend I passed up a coyote because a desirable shot did not present itself.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

you being upset and looking for it so much speaks volumes about you.
It happens and those that have hunted awhile can probably tell you it happened to them too..it has me..more than once.. and if it happened and it didnt bother you then you should Quit! hang in there...ba calm, take the shot ! :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
The Pistoleer

Post by The Pistoleer »

Don't be too hard on yourself. The very fact that you came here and expressed how bad you felt shows that your an ethical hunter.

In my opinion you did everything that you could. You practised with your equipment until you felt confident in it. You took what you considered a high percentage shot. You looked hard to recover the deer. These things are part of hunting and although we never want to have it happen it does in spite of everything we do. I heard at a seminar that most bow shot deer that are not recovered after a real good effort probably survive. A sharp broad head leaves a relatively clean wound and if the arrow doesn't hit a major organ or blood vessel the chances are very good for the deer making a full recovery.

Pete
Be Safe, Have Fun
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I know how you feel, Camper. I though I had lost an elk last year, archery hunting. I found it next morning, thank goodness, and it was still fine.

Maybe you need to spend more time on your shooting lanes. If you do your work early enough before season, you can clear out good wide lanes without spooking game. A set of binocs are good for verifying the lane from your stand, too, just to be more assured that some darned tiny twig isn't in the way.

There's a good chance the deer recovered if you went back the following day and could find no deer or magpies or ravens. An arrow wounded animal is more likely to recover than one wounded by a bullet.

Good Luck.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Don

Post by Don »

Camper,

Careful telling anyone on here about such luck, there are a few that will bash you into the ground for such things. But 99.9% of the guys here can help in letting you know that poop happens. The other 0.1% aren't worth the time.

I know how you feel about the luck thing two years ago I had my first deer come within shooting range stopped it but let it sit too long before I pulled the trigger and when the bow went off the deer went staight up and the arrow went under shaving a few hairs on the way through. A few days later another came in and when the bow went off I plucked her in the shoulder blade did a nasty number on the shaft of the arrow but some may remember the pictures.
So then I started to doubt myself and my equipment started to listen too much to the guys at the pro shop and changed my broadheads, since I changed broadheads I resighted the bow, however I sighted the bow off hand and when the next deer came in I was behind a fence so I set the bow on the fence (Big mistake) the bow shot to the left and the deer crouched a bit to the right so again I hit one in the shoulder bone. Again no recovery.
The guys at the pro shop told me it was the arrows I was ussing that I should switch to carbon. So I did and resighted the bow. Same weight same broadhead as sluminum at twenty yards this was great same hole. So I thought I was set.
Last day of the year I had another nice big doe come in at 30 yards, well needless to say I didn't realize that the brass inserts in the front of the carbons I had would be that much of a factor over twenty yards and the bolt dropped right under the intended recipient.

I shoot 3D all summer and shoot in my yard at least twice a week besides and what I learned I will never forget. if you know your equipment and are happy with what you shoot NEVER NEVER NEVER let some pro shop dude tell you that the problem is your equipment because he is just in it for the money.

Camper just think of me and my story when you start to feel down about your recent escapade and I garantee you will feel much better about missing one.

Deer are quite recilient when you don't hit vital organs they heal pretty quickly, One of the deer I hit was taken two weeks later in rifle season and was pretty well healed over and walking fine.

I know how bad it feels to have wounded and animal and been unable to recover it but chances are if it got that far that you couldn't find it that it will be fine.

Hope I helped some.

Cheers,
Don :lol:
huntman

Post by huntman »

camper: in the last two season i have lost 2 large bucks and 2 does. Three with the bow and one with the shotgun. I know exactly what you are feeling i couldn't sleep the nights they happened but i have learned a valuable lesson that no book, forum, or magazine article could ever teach me. If i had given up i wouldn't of been rewarded with a large six pointer in late december last season. Good luck !!
mfh

Post by mfh »

I too have lost deer...I spend most my time hunting in "Urban" areas in Virginia...I practice a lot - can hit accurately out to 60yrds...but never take shots more that 30 with the bow and this year the crossbow. I took three deer last year, and failed to recover two. One no doubt lived...I made a poor shot. The other no doubt died - but after tracking it three days, with a dog and over a mile in circles...we lost the trail and that was the end of it. Went back to the property and general area for three more days looking for vulture/ravens etc...nothing.

This year, I have taken two deer thus far, and lost two more. Again, one was a poor shot. Got excited, did not follow through...the second was a broadside (actually she was quartering away a little bit) shot from 15yds, from the ground. I hit her in the vital area - at least best I can tell (I saw her after I kicked her up a couple hours after I shot and the entry was about three inches behind the leg that was closest to me). Arrow was covered in blood - a bit thick which surprised me since that usually means a gut shot...but it was all blood, no stomach contents. Anyways, I though I had left her down long enough...I went to look for a trail...no blood. Thinking she would certainly be close by since the shoot "felt perfect" I started a pattern search. She let me pass her once, and on my return back passed within 10 feet of her...she let me pass and after a couple steps she jumped and ran away...around a bend she went and she was gone. I am confident she will die...and the foxes will clean her in a day.

I know the gut wrentching feeling you are having. I went through the same thoughts...as pointed out, these things happen. I consider myself a poster child for safe, solid hunting practices. I practice year round, manage my land owner contacts very well, cover my kill while driving through town, take only broiadside or quartering away shots at safe distances with new BH for each shot. And yet I have had two deer survive long enough to distance themselves from me after hours of waiting only to have them run.

Doesn't make you feel better...but know you are not alone.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Camper, I've been hunting for over 30 years, and I can tell you one thing, if anyone or everyone hunts long enough, they'll one day do the same thing you did, and that's wound and lose an animal or two. Its happen to me and every hunter I've known. Most hunters don't have the balls to come on to the internet and confess to doing it, but you have and good on ya.

Even if those deer don't make it, coyotes, ravens, bears etc. ect. have to eat to, that's life and that's nature. Its dog eat dog world out there, natures cruel ? or is it ?

Several years ago I witnessed a calf deer on the bare ice, ( bambi style ) I could see she struggled most of the night trying to get off. Just as I was going around the pond to rescue her, a coyote came bolting out of the forest straight to her. I took a warning shot, which didn't even phase the yote. My second shot at about 200-225 yards away flattened her (coyote). Yes I saved the deer, but to this day, I wonder if I did the right thing.

Grey Owl
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't know why, but it seems like the bad luck usually runs in streaks. I've lost a few in recent years after a long run of either clean kills or complete misses. I guess the odds are for a less than perfect score, and they will even out at some point. I've had the bad luck to loose a couple to heat & scavengers, too. Shots that went slightly astray and a long blood trail with a spoiled deer at the end of it, but at least I knew their fate, and nothing goes to easte in nature! I shot a 6-point opening day and when I found him he was bloated, stinking, and fly covered. Within 4 days he was gone!!!!! Buzzards, possums, and possibly coyotes had a feast while I felt like giving up bowhunting, too. Then I shot a doe and watched the arrow hit way high-left from my aiming point (which I held until the arrow hit, so I know my follow-through was perfect. It looked like the arrow was most likely in the "no-mans-land" above the spine, and the blood trail (what little there was) seemed to confirm it. No sign of her in the search that continued for a couple days, and no scavengers congregating in the area makes me believe, or at least hope, she will recover and be fine. I'm sure a lot more deer than we believe will, and do, recover from arrow wounds. Muscle and bone will heal in a short time and a lot of those shots only hit muscle and bone. The deer may have a slight disability from bone being broken, but they are tough animals and may survive for years. If not, well..... nothing goes to waste in nature!
wabi
Camper

Post by Camper »

What an incredible forum!!

Thanks everyone!

Nice to hear the comment about not doubting your equipment as well. I was starting to wonder about the carbon arrows I was using and the broadheads. They worked fine for me last year but I still started to doubt the equipment.

Well, thanks again, I will be out this weekend and get right back on the horse.

next one is going down for sure!!!

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Camper wrote:What an incredible forum!!

Thanks everyone!

Nice to hear the comment about not doubting your equipment as well. I was starting to wonder about the carbon arrows I was using and the broadheads. They worked fine for me last year but I still started to doubt the equipment.

Well, thanks again, I will be out this weekend and get right back on the horse.

next one is going down for sure!!!

Camper
GOOD LUCK TO YA Camper! :) :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I hear ya. Friday evening I arrowed a yearling doe at about 10 yds from tree stand. Blood trail only went 25 yds. I was pretty certain I heard her crash, but 2 hours of seachcing the dark came up empty. Went back the next morning within in less than 30 min. Unfortunately the coyotes had found her before me. Not much was left worth salvaging I hate feeding those frigging yotes. The doe had only travelled about 120 yds from where I hit her and I was probably within 20 yds of her the night before when searching. I thinh there was little blood because of the location of the exit wound. She was quarting away when I shot. The arrow entered about 3 ribs back and exited directly through the from shoulder on the other side, breaking the shoulder. I assume if the exit wound had have been about 1 or 3 inches back through softer tissue, I would have gotten a better blodo trail The good news is I belive the doe was probably dead with a minute or tw of the shot.
On/Scene Tactical

Post by On/Scene Tactical »

Hey Camper...

I had the exact same thing happen to me this bear hunting season...

8 of us looked until 2am and couldn't find it....

I got about 1/2 of sleep that night and was up at 4:45 waking everyone up to get going...

I had the exact same feelings, and said the exact same things as you are.. All I could think about was that bear suffering in the woods, and it nearly made me sick to the point of throwing up.

Everyone told me what everyone is telling you now.

I feel bad anytime that happens regardless of the animal..

You know what that tells me about you ?

That you are a Responsible, Ethical, and Caring Soul.
Someone who truely loves the sport of hunting, and the animals that you hunt.

I respect the hell out of you for it, because I feel the same way.. I'm certain most of us here are the same way.

When we ,pull the trigger or release that arrow, we in fact have that animals life in our hand. That is a Great Deal of power to hold on another living creature. We should Always remember that, respect that and live by these ethical, and primal feelings we have.

We as hunters are different from the rest of the human species that don't hunt, and have no instinct to hunt. My personal opinion is that our DNA and instincts are unchanged over thousands of year.. We still have the primal urge to hunt, something the others have lost.

So Camper,, keep those feelings and deep moral ethics you have. It will make you a better hunter.

You're Ok in my book and would hunt with you Anyday.

ttyle

Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel
[url=http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel]On/Scene Tactical[/url]
Custom Knife and Tool Sheathing, for All Brands of Knives!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I agree 100% with everything O/ST has stated on his post...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Camper

Post by Camper »

:) :) :) :)

Thanks, means alot more than you know!!!

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper