Can't hit S--t

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Wayne

I started with aluminum bolts, and had a similar experience. I switched to carbons. They seem to be more consistent, although I believe that is just because the person assembling the carbon bolts was more careful and/or used better components. Aluminum bolts don't have to be inaccurate, and I don't doubt that someone slapping together carbon bolts can do a poor job as well.

I suggest you either buy Excalibur brand, or go to a reputable jobber. There are fellows on this board who have an excellent reputation for assembling quality bolts. Either way you should be a winner. Keep your old bolts. If nothing else, you may find a use for them in shooting into the ground at the end of your hunt, rather than letting off the string. Maybe you would carry one of them in your quiver for close range shooting at grouse, etc. If you are going to lose a bolt or wreck one, it may as well be a poor one!

(You may have been lucky to find out why the bow and your bolts weren't shooting well. Lucky, in the sense that the seller didn't know what had gone wrong, and hopefully gave you a good deal.)

If you are going to try broadheads, I suggest you right off go to Slick Tricks in the same weight as your target points. Other brands will certainly work, and work well. However, you may just save yourself a heck of a lot of hairpulling and frustration getting ready to hunt. (No, I don't have shares in the company that makes them, and I don't sell them either! :D )

Beginning to shoot Xbow is no big deal if you use good, compatible, components. Good luck.

Norman
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.