Horton blues

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

exocet

Post by exocet »

wabi wrote:Just my 2¢ but it sounds to me like Horton has already admitted to being liable for replacing a faulty product by sending the replacement. Since the replacement is not of good quality, I would think they would be legally obliged to provide a product of equal or better quality than the original. I'd push the issue, even if I had to pay a good lawyer to write them a letter. If you get a good crossbow you could sell it to recover your loss.
+1 I meen, they even mixed and matched parts is sounds like. All they had to do was send him the right bow or even offer him the next model up to make the customer happy. I would threaten them nicely, if something happens, they will get sued hard. That may be enough to wake them up and either replace it with the updated model or refund you money!! Jack.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

A.W. is right on, However WHEN I use to shoot a HORTON and want to state my oldest son still use a HORTON, the few and I mean few times we have had a problem of any type we got super service from HORTON.

Maybe they have back slid :? I took one in for a change of cable and string and they took care of it while we waited, you got hold of a nasty person at horton on yur problem. Sorry to read that, however with EXCALIBUR the problems with the xbow and service has just been taken care of .... HH
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

Yeah,rather than just dropping the matter,I think it would be worth trying to talk to someone else with Horton and explain how you are treated. You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain. I know the Excalibur diehards love to hear about hardships with any other brand of x-bow, but I really find it hard to believe a established company like Horton would turn their back on you like that. Definately should try talking to another service rep.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

Well this deer season opens in 4 days and i need something to hunt with so i hope my new crossbow gets here real fast.My wife agreed to use the old credit card to get me a new crossbow.

I ordered the 2006 excalibur exomax with the advanced scope package deal on ebay.I am hopeing you guys are right about excalibur.I can't wait to get to shoot it.
readyeddie.... you won't be disappointed.... if you get a chance, post your opinion when you get your e'max............
exocet

Horton Recall

Post by exocet »

Hey guys, check this out!!

If you have a Horton Xbow look at this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horton Manufacturing Company, Inc. has determined that, under certain circumstances, the limb mounting system on certain select models of Horton Crossbows manufactured in 2004 may become unsafe. The Horton Crossbow models that may be susceptible to this condition are easily identifiable and Horton will remedy the condition without charge.

The Horton crossbow models that are covered by this Product Recall are:

Model CB610 - Hunter Max 175 Bow (Serial Numbers below D 23,000)
Model CB625 - Hunter Max 175 Bow Package (Serial Numbers below D 23,000)
Model CB710 - Legend XL 175 Bow (Serial Numbers below E 64,000)
Model CB705 - Legend XL 175 Bow Package (Serial Numbers below E 64,000)
Model CB805 - Explorer TR 175 Bow Package (Serial Numbers below I 77,200)
All of these Horton crossbow models are easily identifiable as having only one limb-mounting bolt per limb (two mounting bolts per crossbow). The Serial Number is located on the right hand side of the crossbow stock near the front of the crossbow.

Horton urges you NOT to use any of the Horton crossbow models identified above to avoid any chance of serious injury to yourself or to others.

To return your crossbow model to Horton Manufacturing Company, Inc. for immediate inspection, repair or replacement with new upgraded mounting system components, simply contact a Horton Customer Service Representative through the Horton Manufacturing website www.HORTONMFG.COM for immediate response, or by telephone (toll-free) or Fax:

www.HORTONMFG.COM Toll Free: 1 (800) 551-7468 Fax: (330) 633-7751

Please have your complete mailing address, crossbow model and serial number available when you contact Horton Customer Service. Please do not return your crossbow to Horton Manufacturing Company, Inc. without first contacting a Customer Service Representative.

No other Horton crossbow models or other products are covered by this recall. This notification applies only to the crossbow models and serial numbers set forth above
readyeddie

Post by readyeddie »

I called them back today and they said that the recall on my crossbow has been done and their is nothing more they can do.I told him about it not shooting right and he refered me to a troubleshooting tech.I talked with this person about the crossbow not shooting very well.He ask me all about the crossbow and he ask me if i had a quiver case on the bow and i told him no.Then he asked me if i had one on the crossbow when i sighted it in and i told him yes but i took it off.He said that was probly my problem he said the quiver should stay on at all times if it was sighted in with it on the crossbow.I thought he was full of it but when i went and shot it a few times the thing hit a one inch pattern at thirty yards.So i guess he was right but i don't understand why that would be the problem.Could it been a balance problem?
A.W

Post by A.W »

readyeddie wrote:Could it been a balance problem?
I recall when I was in the Brit army we were told that when you shoot with a beyonet on to aim higher than without the beyonet.

Something to do with the vibration of the barrel. This could be the same principle with the quiver mounted on your bow.

(Amazing how that army training stick with you) :shock:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
bj

Post by bj »

A.W wrote:
readyeddie wrote:Could it been a balance problem?
I recall when I was in the Brit army we were told that when you shoot with a beyonet on to aim higher than without the beyonet.

Something to do with the vibration of the barrel. This could be the same principle with the quiver mounted on your bow.

(Amazing how that army training stick with you) :shock:
the weight of the bayonet would keep the barrel down with less effect of recoil, thus allowing the bullet to leave the barrel before recoil could play havoc with it...taking the bayonet off, would then cause the bullet to shoot just a tad higher...that's my reasoning and i'm sticking to it :wink:

Wayne.....
A.W

Post by A.W »

"The aim of this period is to teach and instruct you in the use of a 7.62 S.L.R." That's how we started off with rookies. If I recall correctly the drop was about 6 inches at 200 yards....Been a couple of years. :roll:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
readyeddie

Post by readyeddie »

I bet that's it sounds like a good answer to me.I know the vibration on the crossbow is really bad without the quiver.

I wish my new exomax would hurry up and get here. :cry:

Bow season opens tommorrow and i guess i will have to use the horton for the first day. :(
readyeddie

Post by readyeddie »

I'm gonna keep it for a spare it shoots ok now.

I got my exomax yesterday and i love it 40 yard shot no problem and man is it fast.It totaly blows the horton crossbow away.

For anyone out their who is thinking about buying a crossbow shoot the excalibur before making your choice.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Rock on ReadyEddie :lol: Sometimes things have a way of working out for the better. 8)
IDRACCA

More about Horton

Post by IDRACCA »

I realize this is an old thread but for any one interested my experience has been just as bad! Here is a copy of a letter that I sent to the chief executive a while ago. They never even had the common courtesy to reply!

Horton Manufacturing Co. Inc.
Attention: Mr. Rick Szekelyi
484 Tacoma Ave.
Tallmadge, Ohio 44278

12/23/2008

Dear Sir,

Recently I called your company concerning a problem that I am having with a crossbow that wears your company name proudly. Quite frankly I was shocked, disappointed, and very disgusted with the outcome of my conversation with one of your company’s customer service representatives that day. The problem with my bow is in the trigger group. When the string is drawn back it does not catch at all. The sear and trigger don’t seem to be cocking properly. I asked if I could get a parts breakdown (schematic drawing) of the bow, especially the trigger group. This would allow me to diagnose the problem and order the needed parts to fix my trigger group or enable me to obtain the part number for a whole new trigger group if it would be necessary to replace the whole thing. Actually this problem should be very easy to fix!

Your rep asked me for the name of my bow and when I told her it was a “Safari Express” her response was, “Oh that was made in the UK.” Frankly I didn’t ask where the bow was made and I really don’t care! She went on to inform me that there was nothing that she could tell me about my bow and that I might as well throw it away because your company had nothing on it and would have nothing to do with it, no parts, no information no help at all. I asked if there was any technicians in your company who could tell me if the trigger group from one of your current bows could be retro fitted to mine. Again she kept saying that it was made in the UK and there would be no one that could or would help me get it fixed at all. You people have to decide who produces and assembles your products and where that is done but the point is, once you do that, you certainly should be responsible to stand behind the products that you proudly stamp your name on and deliver to the public. I asked her other questions about the bow like the draw weight, string length, bolt length size and other similar questions, which she couldn’t answer and said emphatically that no one in your company would be able to give me this information. What kind of a company puts out a product and then has absolutely no information about that product even on record? I am truly at amazed at this!

I have a catalog that you put out which reads as follows:
“Having celebrated over 41 years of success in the crossbow business, you might say we have grown a little used to being the leader. {If your customer service rep represented your company accurately and I really can’t get my bow fixed I would recommend you change the word “leader” to loser! You certainly will have lost me as a customer. I can promise you that I will never again consider one of your products in the future!} But this does not mean we take that lightly. {It seems to this customer that you take it VERY “lightly” as I am absolutely sure my bow was produced within that 41 year period and yet you refuse to have anything to do with it and refuse to help your customers to service and maintain your product. It certainly would seem to me that this is not only taking things “lightly” but it is total neglect, and abandonment of your products and the customers out there who have been misfortunate enough to purchase one of them}. We have developed an inner confidence driven by our customers with the quality they have come to expect from Horton products.” If they have so much “Quality” why don’t you stand behind them? Even you don’t seem to have attributed any “quality” to your own product that you named the “Safari Express.” If it has so much “Quality” then why did your customer service rep tell me to “throw it out”?

Your catalog statement continues thus: “As you flip through the pages of this catalog, you will notice that Horton crossbows offer every performance characteristic demanded by experienced crossbow hunters. Although technology continues to evolve, hunters continue to choose accuracy, compact size and durability above all other characteristics when choosing their crossbows. These three characteristics are what have made Horton crossbows the number one brand for decades.”
You want me to believe that I have a “durable, number one brand” yet I have to throw it away because of a minor trigger problem. If this is a “durable, number one” product and you are a “number one” company then lets get this thing fixed!

I would be very happy just to be able to fix my trigger but if you are going to refuse to help me fix it I would think a “number one” company would get me some kind of replacement bow (even a used one would be fine). As long as it functioned and you would have parts in order to fix it if any problems happen to develop in the future.

Obviously I am thoroughly disgusted with your products and your company at present. I truly hope that you will do something to reestablish my faith and confidence in your company and products and convince me that yours is a “number one brand.” I truly don’t want to believe that your bows are just junk to be thrown away. If I do have to throw it away it will surely be the last Horton product that I will ever own! Please respond as soon as possible.

Sincerely yours,

IDRACCA
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

You have made the right decision going with with the Excalibur.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

hehehe been a member here since 2006 and now getting an excalipur crossbow. Took a while to decide. Welcome to our family :) :) Better now than never.