Transporting a crossbow - NOT hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mblaney

Post by mblaney »

I do not believe that they have to be encase for transportation. The correct rule is that they have to be unloaded.
Many have open racks on their ATV's, casing does not make sense. During small game season you can always drive the bush roads with your gun on the seat beside you.

The MNR statement w.r.t daytime transportation is incorrect, your bow or firearm does not have to be encased.
Stash

Post by Stash »

As usual, people don't read before posting... :)

NOT hunting - I'm talking about taking a crossbow (or bow) from your house to the range, or maybe you've just bought one and want to take it home without a case.

Does anyone know FOR SURE what the law is in Ontario? The reason I'm asking is that I work at an archery shop and customers are always asking if they need a case to take the bows/crossbows home in the car. I've always assumed that it was OK, but never really checked into it.

bj - you're sure? "in ontario, anyhow...it's simple ...if you're not using it as a hunting tool, it never has to be encased...there are no "federal regulations" governing the storage, carry or control of a crossbow or any bow for that matter"
RY GUY

Post by RY GUY »

Why do some people want to test out the knowledge of our local law enforcement people. If we start testing them in our Province it will become more difficult to BUY, SELL, or most importantly hunt with a crossbow. My advice would be treat it as if it were a firearm!!! Don't try and read into rules an regs cause it could come back to bite us HARD.

RY
paulslund

Post by paulslund »

Stash, bj is right. The firearms act does not apply to bows or crossbows as they did not included them in any definition of firearm (whether unrestricted, restricted or prohibited). Funny thing is that on the back of my PAL it says non-restricted and crossbows.

The Ontario hunting regs only govern the rules surrounding hunting activities. The reason they require a bow, or any firearm for that matter, to be encased after dark when "in an area usually inhabited by wildlife" is because they don't want you hunting wildlife after dark (the exception to this, of course, is for those that have a licence to hunt raccoon at night). The hunting regs do not govern what you do with a firearm in an area where you would not normally hunt (ie downtown ottawa).

The federal firearm act only require that a firearm (again, this excludes a bow/xbow) must be unloaded when transporting, and out of sight, or in a locked trunk, if being stored in a vehicle.

Now don't think you can go hunting squirrels at midnight in downtown Ottawa, however. There are significant bylaws regarding the discharge of firearms (and to confuse people even more, the Ottawa bylaw does include bow/xbow as a firearm) in most municipalities. We have to remember that the different laws are applicable independantly of each other and confusing the provincial hunting regs with the federal firearms act and the municipal bylaws is quite easy to do.

RY, I disagree with your statement. The rules are written a certain way for a reason. It's quite clear that the federal firearm's act intended to exclude bows and xbows, especially considering how easy it would have been to include them. It's not a loophole, it's intentional. The Ontario hunting regs specifically include crossbows for a reason also...they don't want you hunting at night with one and want to treat everyone at the same level. Plain and simple. Understanding the law is crucial to ensuring that the law stays fair and enforceable. That's why it always pays to have a copy of the hunting regs with you when out hunting.

Paul.
the elf

Post by the elf »

The easiest way is to just put it in a case------and avoid any possibility of conflict with any law enforcement official-------or anti----you might encounter--------jmho.-------------Elf. :!: :!: :!:
bj

Post by bj »

Stash wrote:As usual, people don't read before posting... :)

NOT hunting - I'm talking about taking a crossbow (or bow) from your house to the range, or maybe you've just bought one and want to take it home without a case.

Does anyone know FOR SURE what the law is in Ontario? The reason I'm asking is that I work at an archery shop and customers are always asking if they need a case to take the bows/crossbows home in the car. I've always assumed that it was OK, but never really checked into it.

bj - you're sure? "in ontario, anyhow...it's simple ...if you're not using it as a hunting tool, it never has to be encased...there are no "federal regulations" governing the storage, carry or control of a crossbow or any bow for that matter"

absolutely, and yes i did read your question...it had nothing to do with hunting...it's the same with most everything...people will ask you how many shotshells can you load into a shotgun...almost everyone will say 3 and yes that's cool if the shotgun is used for hunting...if it isn't then the max. capacity of the mag can be allowed, unless it's a detachable mag...getting off topic here, but i'm just trying to get a point across...i taught these laws for more than ten years and it's not a matter of encasing or not encasing...folks say take the extra step and that is usually because they or the powers that be don't really know the rules and regs...better safe than sorry scenerio...

bottom line...you don't need to encase it to take it to the target range, take it to my place or yours (unless i'm going or have just been hunting or am in a "possibly inhabitated game area - but it still must be proven that i am in active pursuit of game - whatever that might be - talk about vague)...you don't need to store the bow in any prescribed mannner in your house or dwelling place...the spam table is fine, but let's be reasonable..

Wayne............
A.W

Post by A.W »

I thought I said that already.
A.W wrote:Under the Criminal Code of Canada it's neither a restricted or unrestricted weapon.
There are exceptions for example....You are shooting in your back yard and the arrow deflects off something and say goes through a neighbours window. The offence could then be weapons dangerous under the CCC. Or you use it to rob a bank say. Then that would be armed robbery.

Just like a hammer is a tool until you hit/threaten somebody with it. Then it becomes a weapon.

There are are other offences that could be committed but not in regards to your original question.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I can't quote any laws but I can give two real life examples I know of. A few years ago a co-worker got pulled over in his van. It was a cargo style van so he made a bracket on the inside wall that his xbow would clamp into so it wouldn't be sitting loose in the back. The officer questioned the legality of it, went back to his patrol car and came back and said he could find no law against it but encasing it would probably be a good idea, mainly for theft reasons. The second example occured just yesterday at Bass Pro Shop in Vaughn, Ontario. The guy ahead of me in the check-out line had a fully assembled Exomax (they assembled it so he could try it in their in-store range) and a Right Stuff kit. I, of course, informed him he had made the right choice (they also sell Horton, Ten Point, Parker and Lakeside) and as I followed him outside to the parking lot there were two OPP officers just outside the doors. They were investigating a pick-up truck theft (apparently there have been a rash of them there lately) and they never gave him a second look as he loaded it into his car and left.
Stash

Post by Stash »

Thanks for the replies.

(TPM - that would have been me who assembled that Exomax. What's a "Lakeside"? We sell Barnetts - they should be tossed into a lake, IMHO :) )