Vari-Zone lens fog

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald

Post by gerald »

The Varizone that I had, and since relieved myself of, was made in China. Excalibur crossbows are of excellent quality, the scopes in my opinion, could be better. I use a good quality, low power rifle scope and have never had it fog or lose zero. It is my opinion that a good quality rifle scope will not be harmed by being used on a crossbow as some people would have us believe. The fact that mine and others haven't seems to indicate this. If you know what your bolt does at different distances you do not really require the speed dial on a scope. You still have to be able to judge distance to the target. Some people find this feature desirable and I can see why, however others can do without the clutter in the field of view. I find that the optics are better on the rifle scopes also. To be fair, the quality of scope that I use would cost well over half the price of the bow. It would be hard to justify manufacturing a scope at this expense and trying to retail it and still make a resonable profit
This post is in no way intended to be a slam against Excalibur. It is an observation and an opinion based on my experience and my preference.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mine has fogged up in damp weather, if I had the flip-up caps closed, as soon as I flipped them open it would clear within seconds.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Tom

Post by Tom »

gerald I too use a rifle scope on my crossbow. Back in 1984, that is all they had for use, there was not really a scope made for crossbows. I used that scope for over 20 years before it failed. It was the scope that I bought with the bow and was replaced under waranty, no questions asked. It was not an expensive scope, just a Tassco I believe (been a while now :? ). THe big differance in the scopes (rifle, crossbow) is in setting up. The rifle scope "CLICKS" are usually 1/4" @ 100 not 30 yards like some crossbow scopes. If you have major movement required in setting up your scope, with a rifle scope, youwill have alot of clicks to make (aprox. 14 clicks per inch @ 30 yards).

I believe that Excalibur chooses the model of scope to best suit what is needed for crossbows. They compare advantages against price and figure out which one they think best suits a crossbow. They have proven in the past, by their track record that they make a bow and products for hunters, what they need to be successful. But just like everything in life, sometimes you get a product that does not work properly, it does not matter if it is a cheaper product or an expensive one, they can all fail.

Would I put a $1000 scope on my bow, definately not! Would I condem you or someone else if you did, Definately Not!! If that is what you want then do it, it is your choice. Some people think that putting a scope on a bow is iver kill and is not needed, but that is their opinion and their choice. As long as it is legal, then use your choice.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

I just read the thread and guys, if you have a complaint about the VZ fogging, why are you whining here on the forum instead of getting in touch with us so we can help you? We do have occasional problems with all of our scopes, they are made by humans and humans screw up, but unlss you give us the opportunity to make it right we can't do a thing to help you!
FYI we have not had an unusual number of problems with VZs fogging up. They are filled at the factory with Nitrogen and are sealed to stay dry, but they can leak and if they do we just replace the scope no question asked in either our plant in Canada for Canadian customers, or our US warranty depot for you guys down south........Bill
TYE

Post by TYE »

Bill T wrote:I just read the thread and guys, if you have a complaint about the VZ fogging, why are you whining here on the forum instead of getting in touch with us so we can help you? We do have occasional problems with all of our scopes, they are made by humans and humans screw up, but unlss you give us the opportunity to make it right we can't do a thing to help you!
FYI we have not had an unusual number of problems with VZs fogging up. They are filled at the factory with Nitrogen and are sealed to stay dry, but they can leak and if they do we just replace the scope no question asked in either our plant in Canada for Canadian customers, or our US warranty depot for you guys down south........Bill
It's only happened to me once Bill, and I think I breathed on the scope by accident. If it happens again then I will be contacting you guys, because for the rest of that hunt, the scope wouldn't clear up, and stayed blurry.
A.W

Post by A.W »

I haven't had a problem with my scope. I have fogged it up by breathing on it but then again so does my eye glasses. Put some anti-fog on them and they're clear as a bell.

I did have a problem with a couple of screws that I "screwed" up but a quick PM to "The Dude", solved that problem.

Have a problem? Call "the Dude". It's that simple.

Excal has a warranty that seems to never expire. in my opinion they have the #1 customer service . All you have to do is use it. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Allan, so if I put some anti-fog on my scope lens, it should prevent my breathe from fogging up the scope?

What kind of anti-fog stuff do you use?
A.W

Post by A.W »

TYE wrote:Allan, so if I put some anti-fog on my scope lens, it should prevent my breathe from fogging up the scope?

Tye. Go to Shoppers Drug or any optician's. You can even use a dab of "Chapstick" and buff it on. In a pinch you can spit on the lens' and buff it in. (old army trick) It's basically a layer of wax/grease that stops the fogging.

"Tip" Make sure you don't clear your sinus' when you use spit." :lol:

TYE

Post by TYE »

A.W wrote:
TYE wrote:Allan, so if I put some anti-fog on my scope lens, it should prevent my breathe from fogging up the scope?

Tye. Go to Shoppers Drug or any optician's. You can even use a dab of "Chapstick" and buff it on. In a pinch you can spit on the lens' and buff it in. (old army trick) It's basically a layer of wax/grease that stops the fogging.

"Tip" Make sure you don't clear your sinus' when you use spit." :lol:
LOL! :lol:

I think my dad has a bottle of Kuu ski goggle anti-fog around here somewhere.

Wow I just realized that I spent more money on my snowboarding goggles, than my Vari-Zone. :shock:
gerald

Post by gerald »

If a scope fogs on the outside of the lenses then it is not the fault of the scope. If however the scope fogs on the inside of the lenses then there is a problem with the scope.
If my previous post seems like I am whining then you have interpreted it wrong.
A.W

Post by A.W »

gerald. Never thought that. Just added some tips. :wink:

TYE

Post by TYE »

A.W wrote:gerald. Never thought that. Just added some tips. :wink:
I think gerald may have posted refering to BillT's post.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I've had zero fogging problems with the varizone scope and the only thing I felt was missing was some illumination for turkey hunting and last minute evening hunts. Sounds like the new scope covers those nicely. I'll wait on the reviews but may be "upgrading" before next deer season.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Whelen Man

Post by Whelen Man »

First off, I'm the person off the other forum the original post referred to. The scope worked good and I had no problem sighting in. Opening day there was rain. The scope fogged INTERNALLY not externally. No problem there as I called the factory and was told to see my dealer. My dealer replaced it with another scope off the shelf. I took this scope home and found that the adjustment cover had been cross threaded from the factory. I got it off with some difficulty and then replaced it. The next time I went to use it the entire adjustment assembly came out of the scope. I contacted the factory again and received no reply. The instructions said to return the scope with $10 for factory warranty service, but by that time I wouldn't give $10 for another of the same scopes what with all the problems, lost hunting time, and remounting and rezeroing. I bought a Burris 2-7 power scope with the ballistic reticle. I figured out that when set on the 2 power the scope markings corresponded roughly to 20,unused, 25, 30, and 35. It's clearer and I've had none of the previous problems. Maybe you guys have had better luck than myself, but I've never had so many problems even with $30 scopes. Good luck to all.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Whelen Man wrote:............. I took this scope home and found that the adjustment cover had been cross threaded from the factory. I got it off with some difficulty and then replaced it. The next time I went to use it the entire adjustment assembly came out of the scope. I contacted the factory again and received no reply. ...............
Whelen Man I have a question for you. Why did you not imediately return the scope back to the dealer. You knew that it was broken (cross threaded) but you continued to use the cap, causing further damage to the scope. Then you said you contacted the factory and got no reply, how did you contact them. Who did you talk to when you tired to contact them. Remember that sometimes e-mails get lost in cyberspace, or messaages might not get recorded or lost themselves. One attempt at contact is not enough if you did not get a reply. They might not have received your attempt.

No doubt in my mind, if you had have contacted them, actually talked to them, you would have had your scope repaired or replaced very fast. I am happy that you got a working scope, and sorry you had problems with the varrizon, but give the company an honest chance to correct defects.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]