Dangers in the bush ...Bear attack

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Country

Post by Country »

Bears are quite territorial as a rule except for feeding places. It's common to see them with ripped up ears and scars. It seems that the only time they'll tollerate each other is when they're in a common feeding area like a berry patch or the county dump. They're fun to watch as they are so fast, so fluid in their motions, and so curious about everything. I've learned to leave absolutely nothing in the yard to pique their curiosity. They bite everything with color in it. They chew up red gas cans and have torn up the yellow no trespassing signs I have posted. One and Im not sure who ate a whole bag of insectacide (tri something or other) that is supposed to kill 60? some types of lawn insects. The warning label on the bag made it sound like it was an extremely potent and deadly poison. I feel bad about that but I think he/she made it through as a head count showed all of them to still be around. I've been trying to pick up on their vocabulary. They make a happy contented sound around mama and a huff, huff, huff, sound when another bear gets too close. They're quite vocal. Their strength is something else to. I've watched them flip over stumps looking for grubs that would have taken me most of the day to dig out using shovels, picks, saws, and pry bars. We have one bear who the wife named Boo Boo when he and his sister showed up his first spring who is a constant fixture around the cabin. He'll sit on the edge of the lawn where the woods start and watch me work in the yard. I don't know what he is thinking but I think this is a possable dangerous situation that I should take care of real soon. He'll probably weigh in at 300 lbs by next fall. They are fun to watch as I said but having bears in your yard doesn't lead to anything good. He's going to be a problem in the near future.
Country

Post by Country »

Gee. Northbaydude is probably going to move to New York City after reading all these posts. I'll be looking for his excal to show up on ebay soon.
Country

Post by Country »

One other thing about Boo Boo. He walks around upright quite a lot. I don't know wether it's because he has been watching me since he was a cub or he is just trying to see over the laurel but it is the stangest thing to see. He looks like sasquach coming down the ridge. He strolls right along front arms swinging and all. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

North bay dude,

A couple of things you can easily do if you want to avoid a run in with a bear.

1. Get a list of all the rural dumps in your area and stay at least 10km away - dumps cause high concentrations of bold bears in northern ontario & all though generally fearfull this can cause a greater chance of a run in.

2. try to stay away from reforested clearcuts were the lowest branches of the trees (usually pine) are touching each other (7-10 years old typically) These areas have a ton of rasberry bushes & other food sources that are more concentrated than other areas - once the berrys shade out you have a surplus of bears in these area's for a few years.

3. Carry something to wack them with if they get to close (preferably a big stick) - seems strange but there are alot of near misses with tree planters & black bears every year & a good solid smack on the head with a shovel keeps most of these confrontations out of the news.

4. Nothing deters a bear like a dog - big or small they all seem to do the trick. Bears just don't seem to know what to do with a barking dog.

I can't comment on pepper spray because I've never used it on a bear but if your going to use it by two cans and practice using one. It's surprising how close you have to be.

I've shot a bunch of bears that were in and out of bush camps & had confrontations with at least a half a dozen more - Bold moves and agressive behavior on your part is much better then letting them get in close. Be loud & confident if required.
BUCKSHOT

Good Advice

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Good advice Grantrout and others!

Just a thought here NBD, get some resource material on Bear behaviour and spend a bit of time to understand the animal before you head out!
If you head into the bush concerned about Bears and other animals, I am sure a bit of your concern can be dispelled through a better understanding!

As mentioned above there are many dangers, so to speak, in the bush. Any wild animal can potentially be dangerous, but as mentioned, if you are aware and respect nature you will know what to watch for and how to deal with situations when they arise!

By the way, Bear Bells are a great idea! If you see droppings with bells in them, watch your back! :D :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
Country

Post by Country »

Imagehttp://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o188 ... feeder.jpg
I hope this comes out. I haven't tried posting pictures before. The bear looks like he is just standing there under the bird feeder. Actually he is just walking by and looks up to see if there is anything in the feeder. He walks around like that all the time. I kind of wonder if some of the reports of big foot are really just a bear walking around on his hind legs.
Country

Post by Country »

[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o188 ... nsteps.jpg
Here is a picture of the same bear coming up my front steps.[/img]
Country

Post by Country »

A.W

Post by A.W »

Those steps look kind of steep for that little guy. Maybe you should install an escalator to help him up. :shock:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Country

Post by Country »

There is a main ridge with two feeder ridges coming off it. One ridge goes right to the county dump while the other goes right to my cabin. This probably explains the large population of bears I see. One fellow down the road from me hand fed the bears. The game warden warned him that it wasn't a good idea but he said "nobody tells me what I can or can't do on my property". The fellow died recently (natural causes) but the bears kept showing up to get their treats. They just tore the heck out of the guys house looking for food. Ripped all the screens out and chewed up the front porch. You have to see it to understand the destruction the bears did to his entire property. Those bears have become somewhat surly now and aren't shy of people (back packers, trout fisherman, campers, etc.) Some had to be trapped and moved down state to become someone elses problem.
Country

Post by Country »

A.W. - Thats a handicap chair lift on the left side of the steps. He's about 75 to 100 lbs. He was a cub last year. It's amazing though how fast they grow and put on weight. Last fall was one of the best mast crop years I've seen in quite awhile and Im sure they all put on a few extra pounds before going into hibernation. I'll try an get some pictures of the big ones when they come out this spring. Some look like VW beatles.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've been trying to post pictures of two big boars since yesterday morning, but I can't get Photobucket to open up my album :( ... something's wrong, I guess. Both boars would run 500 lb. + ... I took the pictures in the field right behind my house.

We put the house in the middle of the field 150 yards away from the woods in any direction, because I knew what a problem the bears could be. The closer you are to any woods edge, the more problem they are. If you're in the woods and you have a heavy population, you're asking for a problem. Of course, I know some people have no choice or are willing to put up with it.

We don't put out any kind of feed or scraps around the house, and take pains to eliminate anything that would draw bears. All household scraps are tossed in a five gallon bucket in the big chest freezer and emptied weekly a half-mile away on our southern boundary. We feed the cat only enough to eat immediately and at a regular time. We electric fence the garden and do not toss anything outside that perimeter.

It's wise to do everything you can not to get them habituated to finding some goodie on your place. If you don't control the situation, you help create a nuisance.

Country's situation sounds much like mine, but I don't tolerate any bear activity (that I can interupt) on the two acres that is actually our yard. They are indeed very territorial, and so am I! I let them know that the yard is my territory, in no uncertain terms. Not that I don't like bears; I'm glad they're around, and I like seeing them ... but I've had lots of trouble with them and I do all I can to prevent more. When they're on "their" turf on other parts of the farm, I let them do their thing ... but I insist they yield right-of-way to me ... again, in no uncertain terms. Of course, I won't pick a fight in which I have no advantage ... but I have learned by experience that if you let a bear run you off, stand you down, or trap you, they'll not forget it and they'll be even more of a problem another time. They're smart. If I can, I always insist that they beat it, not me.

Someone's got to be boss!
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Country

Post by Country »

Right on Griz. I wonder if it was your bear picture I saw once in the N.C. potato field. 800 lb brute it was. The electric fences seem to work real well. They repect those. A friend recently gave me some 12 ga shells with a bean bag in them. Im going to try them out, especially on the ones who come up on the front porch or look in the windows. Maybe I can get them to shy away from the house but I'll never get them to totally leave. By the way, just plain gun shots into the air don't seem to have much if any affect on them. They just ignore it.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Country. Make sure you have something to back up that beanbag buddy.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Country

Post by Country »

A 12 ga pumpkin ball should do the trick as my number two and three round. My weapon of choice in a bad bear situation would be the 12 ga.auto. Im not all that accurate with a big bore handgun.