Coyote medicine?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

A.W

Post by A.W »

DrDan wrote: I'm a firm believer in "not" leaving wounded critters out there
Yup!!
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
xeon

Post by xeon »

ive actually seen a racoon shot in the guts 5 times with a .22 mag from 15yds, fall down off a barn rafter 10yds in the air while doing his best super man impression, get up, and walk out the barn door, needing a headshot from a foot away to finnaly finish it off. Id hate to see a coyote you got a §hit shot on.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

My Ruger heavy barrel .243 with 80 0r 100 grain soft points will anchor a coyote with authority. We tried 22 rimfires in the early 80's with poor results.
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

Hey guys I gotta ask...no one here has mentioned a 270. IS that too much? I was going to head out for coyotes as well. My choices are my .22lr or 270 remington...
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
the elf

Post by the elf »

Kuffs-------yes the 270 will definitely do the job--------but if you want to save the hide you might have to experiment with bullet weights etc.-----but that will just add to the fun.........Good hunting. Elf. :) :) :)
Normous

Post by Normous »

Most bullets in the "Varmint Style" example- Nosler Ballistic tips and other rapidly expanding bullets fro Hornady, Sierra should do the trick without much pelt damage. These bullets rapidly expand and expell most KE inside the varmint. Front on chest shots with this style of bullet very much minimize pelt damage and in most cases drop varmints on the spot due to a tremendous hemmorage to the lungs and heart circulatory system.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I'm thinking of getting a .22 hornet. Savage model 40. Has anyone tried this gun?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
rutman

Post by rutman »

Kuffs wrote:Hey guys I gotta ask...no one here has mentioned a 270. IS that too much? I was going to head out for coyotes as well. My choices are my .22lr or 270 remington...
The only problem with the bigger calibers is they bounce off frozen ground. If your hunting on your own away from people roads and buildings, no big deal. I use to hunt mile and a quarter blocks with dogs and other hunters. I was using a 25-06 but was not long changing to a 22-250. This is also a fairly residential area. Snotty light bullets vapourize when they hit anything. For example, a .17 cetrefire will not get to the target in rain, too light, too fast. Better safe than Sorry!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!